Original or not?

Anything Corvair related
tommy44432

Original or not?

Post by tommy44432 »

This subject has been kicked around in the hobby for decades. Which is worth more...an all original/factory correct restoration or one that's been restified (meaning restored but with some changes to enhance performance or comfort). Logic tells you that one restored to original but then it comes down to the buyer doesn't it?

While I appreciate the effort someone puts into originality that car is not going to be worth a penny more to me than one that has been modified. In addition to my '63 Corvair Monza convertible I also own two Chevy ll Novas. One is a bonafide street machine with custom interior, custom wheels, and way more horsepower than Chevrolet ever intended the car to have. The other Nova is "box stock" looking but has a 350 crate motor and turbo 350 transmission in place of the stock inline 6 and powerglide. However the box stock looker has a sound system (AM-FM, cassette tape, and CD changer), air conditioning, and cruise control. It's my "vacation car". It's a pleasure to drive on long trips.

I remember growing up in the muscle car heyday the first thing the owner of a Chevelle SS 396 did was to buy some aftermarket wheels and install a louder exhaust. After that maybe some engine mods. SO back in the day originality didn't matter then. But times do change.

So there you have it....the question I ask is how do you feel about originality and is your Corvair original as Chevy built it or have you made changes to it because it's yours?
Lisbon (116).jpg
671.jpg
16944.jpg
flat6_musik

Re: Original or not?

Post by flat6_musik »

I think that originality only tends to matter to the more rare muscle cars, like that SS396 you mentioned. Even those nice novas you own don't quite pull the big numbers at auction when restored to 100% original with the inline 6, powerglide and 4-wheel drum brakes.......so, I say modify, especially if it's mods that can be removed later with no damage done. The corvairs certainly don't seem to be pulling any big numbers at auction either. If I were to install aftermarket A/C, I would probably try and find a way not to drill holes in the firewall etc.......or at least keep them out of sight if possible.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

While I appreciate the effort someone puts into originality that car is not going to be worth a penny more to me than one that has been modified.

I prefer stock :rolling:

Seriously - I'm with you in most cases but there are some exceptions .

One example -- When I acquired a 1968 one owner Fitch Sprint with all options and a complete paper trail I opted to keep it original.

The car I have now is highly modified and I have a lot more fun with it :swerve:
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

To me it's if you want to make money on it or keep it for several years. With that nice Nova the more power ect. the more it will bring when it's sold Muscle cars are the hot cars now. I say the only one I have to please is me. With my 64 coupe I just want to get it running good enough to drive everyday. I had a new 62, same color combo as my 64 so I hope I live long enough to make a 62 clone. Social Security doesn't go very far when you're married & the wife has no income. Build it like you like not anyone else. If you're lucky enough to find something like Pete's 63 then I say keep it original.
Attachments
$1895, now over $3,000 in it but will never get that for it.
$1895, now over $3,000 in it but will never get that for it.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I make my cars my way to suit my pleasure. This, for me, always requires departure from stock. On some cars the departure is nominal on others not so much:)
done 5.jpg
Picture 079.jpg
20.jpg
FH000007.jpg
TedsBox 11-17-2011 001.JPG
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

:my02: In the green pic above ---

Not sure if the rocker panel scoop is "Me" :dontknow: but the one in the Qtr panel looks very cool :tu:

:my02:
Attachments
2 fast vairs 2.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

If you're going to go original, then go original.

If you're going to do a resto-mod, then go all the way (as in Foose style). Anything else is a Franken-car IMHO.

I'm an originality guy. I believe these cars are a piece of history that should be preserved. If you want a daily driver buy a Honda. YMMV.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

Nickshu wrote:If you're going to go original, then go original.

If you're going to do a resto-mod, then go all the way (as in Foose style). Anything else is a Franken-car IMHO.

I'm an originality guy. I believe these cars are a piece of history that should be preserved. If you want a daily driver buy a Honda. YMMV.
I appreciate your viewpoint however I believe owning that piece of history is better enjoyed actually driving it. The wife and I of course have newer cars but I can't think of a better way to go on vacation than in one of our older cars. Hence the purchase of the Corvair. It's going to take the wife and I on a 3-4 day trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I see no joy in owning that piece of history if all I can do is hang it on a wall.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

We all know there is no answer -- it's like flavors or colors , everyone has a favorite .

My own 2 cents worth is that there aren't enough museums to save them all and I really enjoy modifying my car .

It is just a Monza of no real historical interest or value .

I do respect the work and opinions of the "Stock" guys and believe that some cars should be saved .
Attachments
7577924962_3c5bd29cd1_z.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

When you're 70 you have to drive them as much as possible cause there are not many years left to enjoy them. The photo's attached are of my sister's car, I keep it in my barn & keep it running. The only changes since my brother-in-law bought it is new chrome, "my father owned a plating shop" glass & interior. Interior is looking a bit old & the chrome is getting pitted but these things were done in early 1961. The body has original paint but the fenders were painted in 1958. One day someone will get it & turn it into a street rod. :td:
Attachments
Taken Sept. 1961, bought by my sister's husband in 1960. Lost him to cancer in 1976, his pride & joy.
Taken Sept. 1961, bought by my sister's husband in 1960. Lost him to cancer in 1976, his pride & joy.
1928 Dodge 2 Dr Coupe Brougham Victory 6 photo taken about 5 years ago & still looks like this.
1928 Dodge 2 Dr Coupe Brougham Victory 6 photo taken about 5 years ago & still looks like this.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

UNSAFE wrote: :my02: In the green pic above ---

Not sure if the rocker panel scoop is "Me" :dontknow: but the one in the Qtr panel looks very cool :tu:

:my02:
The rocker is a hand fabricated steel rocker extension somewhat similar to the Fiberglass Garvin units. The 1/4 is a Z28 fender scoop:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Corvair Talk”