Any arm chair sailors?

Humor, Politics, etc...
Augie

Any arm chair sailors?

Post by Augie »

Saturday morning Ill be heading up Lake Huron with a few friends, on Manitou, a Beneteau First 36.7, in the Pt Huron To Mackinaw Sailboat race.
If you want to track our progress here is the tracking site
http://www.bellsbeer.com/bycmack2013/index.php

Right now the boat is snug in the Black River after delivery last Sunday.

here is a shot of the Starting line: Class C boats leave Port Huron at the start of the 1958 race.

If you dont know about it the Pt Huron to Mackinac along with the Chicago to Mackinac are the two longest fresh water races in the world.

The Chicago race is on its 105th year and the Pt Huron Race is in its 86th. They swap order every year and last Saturday was the Chicago Race. The best part of the races is the Finish. Mackinac Island. NO cars, great scenery, and they do a great gob throwing us a party.

last years race

Last years party on the island

John fell asleep on the winch

Partying with some of the crew

Vid of the lawn party infront of the Grand Hotel
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 8978610147
1962 Monza 900 4dr Powerglide
sam60

Re: Any arm chair sailors?

Post by sam60 »

I like being on the water, but haven't sailed since I was a teenager. Current H2O ride will be getting sold after a couple of more seasons.
IMG_0693.JPG
I have a small boat that I really want to bring back to life.

A friend of mine does some serious volunteer work on a large race sailboat. That is some hard work! :wave:
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
Augie

Post by Augie »

Returned Late Last night from the Island, It is weeks like this remind me that life is great, and I and blessed with all that I have.

OK previous two were from before the race, no pics from that race as we have great wind and were on the Island in 30hrs. We Averaged almost 7 kts, which is great because you never actually head exactly where you are trying to get to. So 7kts averages is actually prob closer to 8!

Here was my morning view from the Coal Docks on Mackinac Island where we were docked. I stayed on the boat the first two nights on the Island

On Monday Afternoon there was a small garden Party at the Small Points B&B on the other side of the island. Great people and beautiful view from the porch
And the last night I stayed in the Grand Hotel.
The Mackinac Bridge, world's third-longest in total suspension, and the longest suspension bridge between anchorages in the Western hemisphere
Freighters are always going through the Straits, the freighters on the Great lakes"lakers" are different that Ocean going freighters "salties" in a few ways owing to the difference in waves in the Great lakes vs the Ocean. In addition Because of their deeper draft and the lower buoyancy of fresh water, salties may accept partial loads on the Great Lakes, "topping off" upon exiting the Seaway.
Pic of the Crew at the Lawn Party at the Grand following the Race, Bells Beer is our title sponsor, all the Bells you can drink, a great Band, burgers, incredible people and beautiful views. Skipper of our boat is a former commodore of Bayview Yacht Club(host club of the race) and knows Larry Bell pretty well. Enjoy having a beer with him and shooting the shit every year.
Endless Summer Band
last Night on the Island
1962 Monza 900 4dr Powerglide
Ayr Hed

Post by Ayr Hed »

I sailed around the world on a BIG gray boat in 1972...had the time of my life !
'64 Monza coupe 110/4 spd
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi,
There are many soilar armchair as well. If you think May is the best, please let me know because I know very little about it.
Thank You.
Armchair Online Australia @ Discount from AUShoppingHub

Return to “Off Topic”