convertible top replacement

All Models and Years
reedbecky

convertible top replacement

Post by reedbecky »

Is it very difficult to replace the top on my '66 monza? Now that the warmer weather is around the corner, I'm itching to get my 'vair up and going but the top (being original) is worn out and the back window is more or less gone. I've priced out a few vendors, but I am not sure which one to go with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to replace just the back window? The only reason I'm thinking about that is that at least the interior would be protected if I were to park it outside. Thanks........................
terribleted

Re: convertible top replacement

Post by terribleted »

Clark's sells very nice tops. The rear window can in theory be replaced without replacing the entire top, however, if the stitching in the top is at all dry rotted it often is not long before one has to replace it as well (or it may come apart during the window replacement). Much labor and partial top removal must be done to replace just the window so tis usually better to just replace the entire top. If you are handy you can likely do this replacement your self. I have done a couple and after doing a couple I decided it is something best left to someone (good) who does them all the time. I got good results myself but excellent results from a good pro installer. (experience letting them know where and how much to pad, stretch, glue etc. for a wrinkle free lasting install). Your local installer may have a prefered brand. It may be best to let them use their prefered brand (particularly if they will warrantee the work).

Something to think about before replacing the top is the condition of the top frame. the time for repairs repainting lubrication etc. is during top replacement. Do it right the first time for a lasting job.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”