How Bad is it to use fiberglass panels

All Models and Years
bender8982

How Bad is it to use fiberglass panels

Post by bender8982 »

so, im just curious how bad of an idea it would be to use fiberglass body panels, or to repair badly rusted portions with fiberglass over steel. i only consider this option as the 1965 Monza is difficult to find steel, even clarks sells mostly fiberglass. so would i destroy my value if i used fiberglass? and if so, has anyone ever handmade their panels with steel, i cant seem to find any to replace with for a reasonable price...
Trip

Re: How Bad is it to use fiberglass panels

Post by Trip »

I find that a decently done fiberglass patch lasts longer than some "professional" steel repairs when repairing rust damage. Until recently I had no welder so steel was not an option. I always wire brush the heck out of the rusted area, treat with POR-15 very thoroughly, then do a fiberglass patch.

Many people look down on this, but to me if it looks good and lasts a long time it is a good repair!

I don't know anything about installing fiberglass panels on a steel car, so I have no opinion on that part.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
fjp912

Post by fjp912 »

I agree that not all fiberglass and not even all bondo is bad. Especially at this stage in the lives of our Corvairs, when they are stored inside and are not subjected to road salt and often not even to rain. But if you continue to subject the car to the same conditions that caused the rust in the first instance, the rust seems to find a way to come back at the metal-nonmetal interface.
FRANK PERCH
Philadelphia, PA
'64 Monza Coupe
mart

Post by mart »

In my opinion , in most places fiberglass is a no-no unless the part you are replacing is purely a cosmetic bolt on item, ie engine lid/trunk lid etc. Any item like rockers, screen posts fenders all contribute to the overall strength and rigidity of a unibody construction, and therefore its safety, and should be replaced as originally designed, and welded,NOT riveted as the previous owner of my car did. Clarks windshield repairs in fiberglass are advertised as not suitable for convertibles...what does that tell you. Bondo is fine as long as you are using it as a means of shaping your strong welded repair to look right, it has no structural strength,( nor has a leaded repair), and is porous to moisture. Most fiberglass repairs, if detected would fail a UK mot inspection
bender8982

Post by bender8982 »

Alright, thanks guys. I guess ill probably just hand make fiberglass patches. It's mostly just around wheels, and some parts of rockets and fenders, so it won't be full panel replacement, and then if money and luck allow, ill swap in steel. Thanks again, I don't feel so bad about patching with fiberglass now.
ensys

Post by ensys »

Without putting too fine a point on it, fibreglass repair panels are never a good idea and seldom a workable short-term solution. Corvairs are of unit-body construction that relies on the strength of all of its body panels (particularly at high-stress points like rockers, pillars, pans, transition points, etc.) to maintain structural integrity. To compromise the structure with lesser materials is to take your life (and those of your passengers) in your own hands.

There's no way to pretty it up: fibreglass in the structure is the mark of a dangerously foolish person.
Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo
mart

Post by mart »

ensys wrote:Without putting too fine a point on it, fibreglass repair panels are never a good idea and seldom a workable short-term solution. Corvairs are of unit-body construction that relies on the strength of all of its body panels (particularly at high-stress points like rockers, pillars, pans, transition points, etc.) to maintain structural integrity. To compromise the structure with lesser materials is to take your life (and those of your passengers) in your own hands.

There's no way to pretty it up: fibreglass in the structure is the mark of a dangerously foolish person.
i could not agree more, thank you for agreeing with me, we need to stamp out this type of repair, I would also like to point out that as good as it is POR15 is just paint...it will not restore strength to a rusted panel, I get the impression that some folks believe it will
:goodpost:
bender8982

Post by bender8982 »

wow, thank you. i was just about to buy 2 fiberglass quarter panels, glad to know this.
bender8982

Post by bender8982 »

well since were on it, are there any cars at all that i can interchange the 1/4 panel with on my 65 corvair. i just need the bottom and around the wheel.
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

mart wrote:
ensys wrote:Without putting too fine a point on it, fibreglass repair panels are never a good idea and seldom a workable short-term solution. Corvairs are of unit-body construction that relies on the strength of all of its body panels (particularly at high-stress points like rockers, pillars, pans, transition points, etc.) to maintain structural integrity. To compromise the structure with lesser materials is to take your life (and those of your passengers) in your own hands.

i could not agree more, thank you for agreeing with me, we need to stamp out this type of repair, I would also like to point out that as good as it is POR15 is just paint...it will not restore strength to a rusted panel, I get the impression that some folks believe it will
:goodpost:

x3!!!

Fibreglass panels can, and usually do crack where they meet the metal, especially in a uni-body vehicle. The body is contantly flexing.

You will have to either call around to Corvair Ranch, California Corvairs or any other Corvair vender and ask what they have. Posting in the wanted section for the panels you need couldn't hurt either, another Corvair owner may be in the process of junking a car with the panels you need.

Worst case, buy some sheet metal and form it yourself. With some time, it can be done. I made a few pieces for mine, specifically in front of the front tires, bottom of the fenders. I also formed a few pieces around the wheel openings in the rear.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
bender8982

Post by bender8982 »

thanks guys, and 4carbcorvair i think im gonna just hand craft the panels, kind of as a challenge and itll be cooler to know i made them myself :)
mart

Post by mart »

Clarks do some steel parts and panels for lower fender repair, I find it useful to look at other cars that have similar shape panels and see if steel repair patches are available for them, ie, LM fender openings are close to Mecedes 190 sedan

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”