My First Helen Springfest Adventure is over...

Anything Corvair related
caraholic4life

My First Helen Springfest Adventure is over...

Post by caraholic4life »

The 2024 Helen Springfest event is now over.
I attend for the first time this year and am glad that I had the opportunity.

Driving the Greenbrier to and from the event was an experience I will not soon forget as it was the longest distance I have driven it since purchasing it in December 2020.

My trip down was planned to be accomplished in two days.
The first day I drove from Westminster MD to Asheboro N.C. where I visited a longtime friend and Corvair enthusiast who invited me to save the Hotel costs and offered me a room.
The second day went great until I was about 35 miles from the Helen event.
I decided to stop for gas and the pump did not print out a receipt so I had to shut off the engine to go inside the store for the receipt. When I started the Greebrier it started sluggish but got out to the highway where it promptly quit on me.

I determined the Fuel Pump had probably given up even though it had less than 4,000 miles on it.
Knowing that there was a chance of a failure, I had brought two N.O.S. A/C Delco and two N.O.S. "Rebuilt" fuel pumps with me. I installed one of the "Rebuilt" pumps while on the side of the road which was not the first time I have done this to one of my Corvair's in recent years.

As some of you may know, replacing a fuel pump on a hot engine is not the easiest task but doing it with an audience makes it even more of a challenge. At one point there were three individuals watching me, one of which was a Police Officer that stopped to offer assistance but left once he saw I had things under control.

Once the fuel pump was replaced and my tools were put away, I thanked the remaining two individuals that had offered assistance and went on my way.

About ten miles later, I saw an early convertible in the parking lot of another gas station with the hood up and a folding chair set up behind it. I decided to stop and offer any assistance I might be able to help with.

As it turned out, others had already stopped by to offer assistance but then went on their way.
The vehicle owner informed me that another enthusiast was already on the way with another ignition coil which was suspected to be the issue and a trailer to haul the car if the coil was not the problem.
In the end, the coil was not the issue and a fuel pump relay became the second suspect so the car was loaded on the trailer and off we went.
Later I learned that the fuel pump was not the issue and the car may have had a gummed up carburetor (Turbo Car).
The last I heard, the car was being taken to a known Corvair mechanic for further evaluation and repair as needed..

While attending the event, I managed to spend $612..00 on parts and $25.00 for a Corvair Puzzle.
I was also awarded with the Longest Distance driven in a Corvair Award as well as the "Hard Luck" Award for having the fuel pump go out.

The couple with the Spyder Convertible I had stopped to offer assistance to said I deserved it, even though I think they should have received it since their car had to be towed then eventually taken to a shop for further repair.

I also managed to "Win" an Auction Bid for a very nice Corvair Clock made by Danny R.
Danny is a member of the Vulcan Corvair Enthusiasts whom I understand makes one each year for the event.

I will cherish the clock and hang in a place of prominence in my home as a reminder of this adventure.

I had an opportunity to see some prior acquaintances and to meet others I have communicated with but never met in person while attending this event.

Sunday morning I left Helen GA at about 7:15 A.M.with the idea I would drive as far as I could. My intention was to stop when I got tired and resume the trip on Monday if necessary but managed to make it home almost exactly twelve hours later after driving close to 650 miles.
The Greenbrier seems to be happy at 60 MPH but will run at 70 MPH when pushed to do so but it gets really noisy inside at the higher speeds. Maybe I need a better seal on the engine cover and need to secure it in place with the correct fasteners.

With the exception of one stop to add a quart of oil, two stops for Gasoline and two quick five minutes stops at "Rest Stops", I drove it non-stop from Helen Georgia through S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Virginia, W. Virginia, back into Virginia and into Maryland.

Only twice did I shut off the engine, the first was in the first hour to purchase two quarts of oil and add one to the engine, and the second was six miles from home when I stopped to pick up a pizza for dinner.

Overall, I am glad to have made the trip although I may not ever drive the Greenbrier that far in one day again. Today I will rest, go visit my parents, and hopefully be ready to return to work tomorrow.
Attachments
Made by "Danny R." of Vulcan Corvair Enthusiasts for the 2024 Helen Event.
Made by "Danny R." of Vulcan Corvair Enthusiasts for the 2024 Helen Event.
The table the clock sits on for the photo was made for my Grandfather by a parishioner at his church in 1967. The clock will eventually  hang in a place of prominence in my home as a reminder of this adventure.
The table the clock sits on for the photo was made for my Grandfather by a parishioner at his church in 1967. The clock will eventually hang in a place of prominence in my home as a reminder of this adventure.
Last edited by caraholic4life on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
2LZ

Re: My First Helen Springfest Adventure is over...

Post by 2LZ »

Very cool write-up and thanks for the adventure. The clock is very nice piece.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
flamingchariots

Post by flamingchariots »

Did you take apart your failed fuel pump? Just curious if it was internal failure or vapor lock...

Glad for your good report. An adventure for sure!

:Love it:

Kevin
Medina, OH
whenim64

Post by whenim64 »

"The Greenbrier... will run at 70 MPH when pushed to do so but it gets really noisy inside at the higher speeds. Maybe I need a better seal on the engine cover and need to secure it in place with the correct fasteners."

As a veteran of innumerable long-distance Greenbrier trips, I will endorse both of these steps. But, remarkably enough, the one that reaps the best benefit is putting all ten cover screws in the engine compartment cover. That alone makes an unexpectedly large difference.

Yes, it can be a PITA to remove and re-install them each time you want to get to the engine, but the improved noise level is worth it.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :ty: :tu:

I enjoy reading about these Corvair-based "adventures". It does take an adventuresome soul to take such risks and to place your trust in your "trusty" but aging Corvair! :clap:

I thought you might enjoy reading about some similar Corvair-based travels, so here are a couple of Corvair traveling tales...

From Stan Darke...

Anyone in Asheville NC that could lend a hand?
:link: viewtopic.php?p=62927&hilit=asheville#p62927

==============================================================================

You might enjoy reading this saga about a first time Corvair buyer who took a chance and drove a newly purchased Corvair from North Carolina to Texas...

Doug & Joey's Great 'Mercun Road Trip 2013
:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 074#p41520

================================================================================

As for me, I have been driving Corvairs since I took my first driver's license test in my parent's 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible in San Jose, California in 1969. My first cross-country journey also took place in that same Corsa convertible in the summer of 1973, when I graduated from a 7-month long USAF electronics tech school at Keesler AFB, Mississippi. My pregnant wife and I flew back to Southern California to visit my parents, and they gifted that 1965 Corsa convertible to us as a graduation present. We packed all of our belongings in that Corvair and drove it from Thousand Oaks, California to Warner Robins, Georgia... with stops in Tucson, AZ, San Antonio, TX, and Biloxi, MS. (2,412 miles)

Tracy Ann Bodie with our 1965 Corvair Corsa - Fall 1973 - Warner Robins, GA
1973 Corvair Trip.jpg
After my assignment in Massachusetts, we shipped this freshly painted (from dark green to red) Corsa from Bayonne, New Jersey to our next assignment in Germany...
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible 140hp 4x1 - Spring 1980 - Base Housing - Hanscom AFB, MA

My 1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa coupe with 140HP 164 CI engine. Photo taken in front of my parent's home at 124 Whitworth Street, Thousand Oaks, California in 1981, just before we began a long journey to Lake Tahoe, and then Bayonne, NJ to ship the car to West Germany.

In 1981 we (me, my wife, and our two young sons) drove a 1965 Corsa coupe from Thousand Oaks, California to Lake Tahoe, NV. After a visit with my father-in-law, we continued our journey from Lake Tahoe to Salt Lake City, UT, Cheyenne, WY, Indianapolis, IN, and finally McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey, where we shipped the Corvair to the port in Bremerhaven, Germany. (I managed to receive TWO speeding tickets in that Corvair on the same say in Iowa!) When the car was delivered to Germany, I continued the journey south 405 Miles to Ramstein Air Base.

1981 Corvair Trip.jpg
Germany Trip.jpg

In the summer of 1983, our tour of duty in Germany ended. I drove our 1965 Corvair convertible 405 miles back to Bremerhaven to ship it directly to Los Angeles. Then I made a second 405 mile trip in the 1965 Corsa coupe to Bremerhaven, to ship it to the port in Bayonne, New Jersey. A few weeks later the four of us travelled to Rhein Main Air Base in Frankfurt, Germany to catch a flight to McGuire AFB, New Jersey. Our 1965 Corsa coupe was waiting in New Jersey for us. We reunited with our Corvair and drove to Washington DC to spend a few days sightseeing in our nation's capital, and then continued our journey to visit with family in Georgia. Then it was on to Oklahoma City and Albuquerque, and finally we reached our destination in Southern California, where I was assigned to a special duty position as an Air National Guard Technical Advisor in Van Nuys, California.
1983 Corvair Trip.jpg

So from these examples you can see that I have never doubted the reliability of our Corvairs as we drove them all over the USA and on the Autobahn in Germany. When I purchased my current Corsa convertible from a classic car dealer in Lakeland, Florida, I took a Greyhound bus from Atlanta Georgia to Lakeland, completed the purchase transaction, with the dealership, and jumped in the Corsa convertible to drive it home in North Carolina (561 miles). All of my 1965 and 1966 Corsas were powered by big valve 140hp 4 carburetor engines. Recently these engines have developed something of a bad reputation for developing loose valve seats, but so far I have never had that problem with any of my Corvairs, and have found them to be very reliable. (I have had two right side rear axle wheel bearings fail over the years, though). Never even had a fan belt failure, but I have had some mechanical fuel pumps fail. After many years of trusting those mechanical fuel pumps, I finally abandoned them and switched to electric fuel pumps in my Corvairs. :dontknow: :sad5:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

whenim64 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:35 am "The Greenbrier... will run at 70 MPH when pushed to do so but it gets really noisy inside at the higher speeds. Maybe I need a better seal on the engine cover and need to secure it in place with the correct fasteners."

As a veteran of innumerable long-distance Greenbrier trips, I will endorse both of these steps. But, remarkably enough, the one that reaps the best benefit is putting all ten cover screws in the engine compartment cover. That alone makes an unexpectedly large difference.

Yes, it can be a PITA to remove and re-install them each time you want to get to the engine, but the improved noise level is worth it.

Among the many parts I have purchased from you in the past year or two, I seem to recall purchasing a set of the original screws that hold the engine cover in place..Now all I need to do is find them. :banghead:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
County98

Post by County98 »

Awesome adventure, to be sure. Good memories.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Auto Anatomy

Post by Auto Anatomy »

Great story and it was nice meeting you and seeing your van. I'm impressed at how well the van did and gives me confidence about driving our Flooded Corvair up the the nationals in Dayton this year!

Glad you made it home safe

Sean & Christie
I'm a pulmonary/critical care nurse practitioner that is passionate about bringing classic cars back to life.

www.youtube.com/autoanatomy
www.facebook.com/autoanatomyUS
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

I have to say it was very nice to be able to spend some quality time with you. While we have spent untold time on the internet it is still nice to see someone in person.

We even kept the politics to a minimum!!!! LOL
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
fred bagnall

Post by fred bagnall »

I have never made it to Helen for the Springfest. I have it on my bucket list. I would definitely would be driving one of my vairs. Did anyone get any pics of the event for those of us that couldn't make it ? :dontknow:
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

That's quite a story, thanks for posting. As for the clock, I find my eyes drawn to the inlaid wood table; that's cool. You mention the increased difficulty of working with an audience, I try to avoid that as much as possible. I'm sure there are those among the onlookers who want to lend an (unneeded) hand. I wonder what words you use to convince them you "Have it covered"?
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
MtnVairMike

Post by MtnVairMike »

So glad to make your acquaintance as well. From the moment I saw the Corvair Forum tshirt you were wearing I had to startup a conversation. When you said your alias was "caraholic4life" I had to laugh out loud to meet one of my long time forum Corvair stars!

Enjoy the photo of our in person meeting. See you again down the road....

Mike
Helen GA 2024.jpg
1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green, #3753
ihscomputers
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by ihscomputers »

This is the link to the slideshow photos that were shown during the awards banquet:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n8mAKep4fuBxU9MA9
Dean F. Gemberling
Box Springs, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998
1965 Monza Coupe w/63 Buick 215 V8 - Former 13-second Drag Car by Ken Arnold
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

MtnVairMike wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 am So glad to make your acquaintance as well. From the moment I saw the Corvair Forum tshirt you were wearing I had to startup a conversation. When you said your alias was "caraholic4life" I had to laugh out loud to meet one of my long time forum Corvair stars!

Enjoy the photo of our in person meeting. See you again down the road....

Mike
Helen GA 2024.jpg
Mike,
It was nice meeting you and talking with you on Saturday. Your support is appreciated and I thought that wearing my ten year old CORVAIR FORUM Tee Shirt was good advertising for Scott. :my02:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
fred bagnall

Post by fred bagnall »

Thanks for the link . It looks like I missed a great gathering of Corvairs and Corvair people. Maybe next time :wave: :dontknow: :coolphotos:
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Andrea: it was very nice to see you again after all these years since your visit to my home. I am glad you made the trip from Maryland to the Springfest to see this fun gathering of Vair owners. Nice that you won a couple awards for your effort though having the bad luck award is not one to strive for. You need to post that award also, so all can see what you got for your troubles.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE

Return to “Corvair Talk”