All Models and Years
nuthouse

gear stick jammed

Post by nuthouse »

my 1962 spyder is jammed in first gear
kmart356

Re: gear stick jammed

Post by kmart356 »

Hopefully if is something not inside the gearbox. Was this a sudden issue or was it slowly getting hard to shift?

Get under the car where the front of the transmission can be reached. Inspect that coupler that connects the shift tube to the transmission input shaft. You might find a broken retainer pin or trashed coupler. If you disconnect the coupler you can check that the shifter is not jammed up underneath where it connects to shift tube. That shift tube should move forward- aft and rotate

Use a Phillips screwdriver that fits into the hole at transmission shaft and rotate it side to side and try to move it front to back in an H pattern as if shifting gears. Others will add more ideas.
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

More than likely the shifter was not adjusted properly and the lower ball popped out of the socket.

Unless you are real lucky and able to get the ball to pop back in you will have to remove the tunnel pan and manually put the ball back in. Also be prepared to replace the front shifter bushing and/or the bracket.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I have a couple where the shift shaft coming out of the transmission is locked up. I haven't taken them apart to see what is wrong yet. I'm sure it isn't good.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”