main fuse box under dash

All Models and Years
manofsteel

main fuse box under dash

Post by manofsteel »

After looking at that terrible original fuse box, I've decided that I would like to replace it with something easy to install and to hook up to original wires. I am hoping for some suggestions and where to order it and apprx how much. Alsomy foot dimmer switch is not working.... no high beam. help with that would be appreciated too.
Nashfan

Re: main fuse box under dash

Post by Nashfan »

manofsteel wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:50 am After looking at that terrible original fuse box, I've decided that I would like to replace it with something easy to install and to hook up to original wires. I am hoping for some suggestions and where to order it and apprx how much. Alsomy foot dimmer switch is not working.... no high beam. help with that would be appreciated too.
Heres THE way to go on that:
DSCN2018.JPG
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

You're in the right place!
I manufacture fuse panels for the street rod market and I build a special model just for Corvairs. It's called the BlackBox Hp. FWIW, I've been into Corvairs for over 50 years.
I have kits for 60-64 car, 61-65 FC, 65-6 cars, and 67-9 cars.
Here's what the kit looks like in my '66 - This photo is the latest board design.
20240318_162302 (Medium).jpg
All parts are included in the kit and there are specific instructions for each Corvair version. If this is of interest, you can read about it here: https://www.racersrods.com/category-s/1825.htm
Craig
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Also - "Foot dimmer switch not working" is usually just a bad switch. They're inexpensive and easily replaced. There's a remote chance the connector into the trunk has a bad contact. It's unlikely all four high beams are burned out but that's a remote chance too.
If your high beam indicator light does not light up, it's likely the switch. If it does light up, look to that connector in the trunk by the master cylinder for a loose or dirty connection.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

cnicol wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:09 am Also - "Foot dimmer switch not working" is usually just a bad switch. They're inexpensive and easily replaced. There's a remote chance the connector into the trunk has a bad contact. It's unlikely all four high beams are burned out but that's a remote chance too.
If your high beam indicator light does not light up, it's likely the switch. If it does light up, look to that connector in the trunk by the master cylinder for a loose or dirty connection.
Craig covered it well, but I'll add that sometimes the plug that goes on the dimmer switch is melted with corroded contacts (corrosion increases resistance and contacts get HOT and melt plastic plug).

Clark's once sold a dimmer switch plug with contacts and wires. Now they only list the plug and contacts. You need a proper crimper to put the contacts on the wires.
County98

Post by County98 »

I've got the same upgraded fuse box. Love it.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

You need a proper crimper to put the contacts on the wires.

Known as an Open Barrel Crimper, and slangly known as a Molex crimper (although Molex makes many many different connectors other than open barrel). :chevy:

Just Google Open Barrel Crimper for many choices. I use the old Ideal Crimpmaster with the proper die, there are several sizes. People in production lines use specific crimpers like the AMP series, because they need to make 10,000 crimps exactly the same that should never fail. Not needed for hobbyist work.
:tu: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
pvholgado

Post by pvholgado »

County98 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:20 am I've got the same upgraded fuse box. Love it.
:tu:
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Hmm... 12 days since the original post and good answers and advice but no response from the OP.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”