Front Cossmember Question

All Models and Years
Jim65

Front Cossmember Question

Post by Jim65 »

Is there or what are the difference(s) between and Early model front crossmember and one from a late model?
'65 110 Coupe
66vairguy

Re: Front Cossmember Question

Post by 66vairguy »

Jim65 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:00 pm Is there or what are the difference(s) between and Early model front crossmember and one from a late model?
AFAIK - they both have the same body bolt patterns. The LM units were designed so the camber was adjusted with lower eccentric bolts, while the EM unit shimmed the upper "A" arm support.

The LM sway bar attachments were "beefed up", but I'm not exactly sure what was done, but it may have just been the lower control arm attachments.

Some have bolted the LM crossmember, sway bar, upper "A" arms, lower control arms into an EM, BUT they use EM spindles to keep the track the same and to use the four bolt wheel pattern. This gives you the big sway bar and the easier lower control arm camber adjustment. One EM wagon owner who did this reported this improved handling.

Others will probably have more information.
Jim65

Post by Jim65 »

66vairguy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:39 pm
Jim65 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:00 pm Is there or what are the difference(s) between and Early model front crossmember and one from a late model?
AFAIK - they both have the same body bolt patterns. The LM units were designed so the camber was adjusted with lower eccentric bolts, while the EM unit shimmed the upper "A" arm support.

I should have thought of this, thanks for the info. :tu:
'65 110 Coupe
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Even though the crossmember is interchangeable from early to late and late to early, there is one major difference that may be important depending on what your goal is.

IF my memory serves me correctly.....

The early model suspension has a Round Hole to attach the lower control arm.
The late model suspension has an Oblong hole to attach the lower control arm.

The Oblong hole allows the lower control arm to be adjusted for the front end allignment.
The Round hole requires the adjustment to be made at the upper control arm cross shaft with shims.

I learned this back in the '70's when someone I know inadvertently installed a early crossmember in a late car.
The difference wasn't noted until after it was installed and the alignment process started. :banghead:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Then just adjust like early, by changing shims on upper control arm! :tu:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA