Silent Cam Gear

Anything Corvair related
erco

Silent Cam Gear

Post by erco »

Looks quite different from my all-aluminum gear. Rusty steel hub, fiber teeth! https://www.ebay.com/itm/276099008396
Attachments
s-l960.jpg
joelsplace

Re: Silent Cam Gear

Post by joelsplace »

I wonder if those are reliable?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

erco wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:22 am Looks quite different from my all-aluminum gear. Rusty steel hub, fiber teeth! https://www.ebay.com/itm/276099008396
A Corvair fiber cam gear. That is a new one on me. Buy it as a novelty item.

Fiber cam gears were common on older engines. Their advantage was they were quiet! Used typically up to the 1950's and then nylon and steel became more common, EXCEPT for competition use where big cams and high RPM caused fiber gear failures.

Decades ago aftermarket companies sold all metal timing gears for engines built for competition.

I doubt it would be any quieter on a Corvair engine due to the fact air cooled engines with aluminum parts make a lot of other mechanical noise.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

DON'T USE IT!!! Fiber cam gears in Corvairs don't last.
This one failed after about 5000 miles. Well cared for and carefully driven '66 180 turbo Seniors Division show car.

Of course the engine stopped running instantly and valves were bent. Repair required near complete disassembly of the engine and of course valve and pushrod repair.
DSCF4797.JPG
DSCF4779.JPG
DSCF4786.JPG
split cases 20 pct.jpg
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

The GM Iron Duke (2.5L gear drive) motor in my X-wife's Pontiac Grand Am had a phenolic cam gear and went 155k before we sold it. I guess the Corvair engine is harder on them for some reason. I'll take metal anyway.....
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

I think this is the kind of "Fiber" that a Corvair Doctor would not recommend..., unless you want to be "Regular" with replacing engine parts! ::-):
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Like Craig I have seen those before and they die a quick death!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Over the years I've read about too many failures with the cast gear from other vendors. I suspect the "aftermarket" cast cam gears are not as good as the GM cam gears.

At this point in time I prefer to use the California Corvair billet cam gear, but I went to their site today and NONE are listed!! I'll have to drop Jeff a note and see if they are no longer available.
erco

Post by erco »

66vairguy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:54 am
I doubt it would be any quieter on a Corvair engine due to the fact air cooled engines with aluminum parts make a lot of other mechanical noise.
Isn't our Corvair cam gear in constant contact with sump oil? Seems better lubed than most water pumpers and it should run silent and last forever.
erco

Post by erco »

More rusty Ebay parts:140 cam & gear, $45 shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126211458097
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

IMO these days the CA Corvair's Cam gear is the best, the Clarks Failsafe Cam gear is second, the stock GM cast cam gear is 3rd. In the past I know Clarks was having problems with their Failsafe gears cracking and the teeth breaking off but believe they fixed the problem a few years back, the other aftermarket cast gears from the past were marginal at best and prone to failures.

The Other gears to completely stay away from is the Failsafe copy that do not come with the fail safe retaining ring and they are marked LS USA and just plain USA. These gears will fail in short order especially if you have heavier valve springs installed like in a race engine or performance engine, in fact you might not even make it through the warm up or practice laps!

If you go with the first 3 I listed you should be fine!
Attachments
Best gear big snout CA Vairs gear!
Best gear big snout CA Vairs gear!
The old Clarks fail safe before it was fixed
The old Clarks fail safe before it was fixed
Another Failsafe before they were fixed
Another Failsafe before they were fixed
This is a LS gear that lasted a warm up lap! Stay away from the LS USA or USA marked gears!
This is a LS gear that lasted a warm up lap! Stay away from the LS USA or USA marked gears!
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

They call it silent because the car will be silent after it fails. I remember the old nylon faced gear son mouse motors (Chevy small block) back in the '70s. The nylon would fail and throw the timing chain. Always replaced them with a solid steel gear. Dennis
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

66vairguy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:59 pm Over the years I've read about too many failures with the cast gear from other vendors. I suspect the "aftermarket" cast cam gears are not as good as the GM cam gears.

At this point in time I prefer to use the California Corvair billet cam gear, but I went to their site today and NONE are listed!! I'll have to drop Jeff a note and see if they are no longer available.
Jeff replied to my email to him and said he will be OUT of the billet cam gears until about MAY so he took them off his site for now. I pre-ordered a spare.

NOTE: I found this billet gear more difficult to install on a cam vs. the cast gear. I talked to Jeff years ago and he has a special fixture to keep the billet cam gear HOT the entire time the camshaft is installed, the it cools off and is TIGHT.
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

I had a billet gear fail in about 25k. The teeth stripped off of it. I showed it to Jeff a couple of years ago at the Fan Belt Toss and he said that it was an older one by the phone number and address on it. He offered me another but I wasn't sure that I wanted to deal with it again in 25k so I put in a GM gear.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

This is Rex's cam gear that failed
Resized_20220514_221603.jpg
Resized_20220514_221611.jpg
erco

Post by erco »

Those broken gear pics are hard to look at. The secondary damage may have included the crank, cam, pistons, pushrods, valves, crank gear & case. OUCH!
Last edited by erco on Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Corvair Talk”