K47 - Oil Bath Precleaners - Definitive Article

whubbell

K47 - Oil Bath Precleaners - Definitive Article

Post by whubbell »

I have revised my article about RPO K47 Oil Bath Precleaners located here (no login required):

https://stock.corvair.org/wordpress/201 ... -cleaners/

The article is now quite comprehensive, dealing with yearly changes, production figures (thanks to Dave’s series of articles in the CC), PCV changes unique to K47, and representative photos and Assembly Manual pages for each version. It even includes K46 (“Desert Air”).

This is literally everything you ever need to know about this option (except maybe where to find parts…)

Please take a look at it and give me your feedback!
Bill Hubbell
President, Stock Corvair Group
joelsplace

Re: K47 - Oil Bath Precleaners - Definitive Article

Post by joelsplace »

Thanks Bill. Great work!
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Aaron65

Post by Aaron65 »

Interesting stuff - I wish I could go back 10 years for a minute. I was wandering through a junkyard that was crushing out, and I stole the center air cleaner from a '65 with this option, along with the carbs and linkage. I did NOT, however, grab the oil bath air cleaner or any of the brackets. Looking at the production numbers, however, it looks as if it wasn't THAT uncommon an option.
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Thanks for putting it all together, including the time-line.

While I've seen many K47 Oil-Bath systems, and even more LMs that "used to have" K47 oil-bath as evidenced by the bracket, unique air cleaner snout, or screw holes for the bracket, I never see K46 HD pre-cleaner aka Desert Air setups. I lived with a K46 "Desert Air" on a '65 Monza I took care of for a friend and I currently have a K46 setup in a box on the shelf... waiting for the right car.

Thanks again for your research and documentation of the air cleaner options.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)

Return to “Stock Corvair Group”