Frocking AC car glove box

Need to know how? Want to show how?
belaraphon

Frocking AC car glove box

Post by belaraphon »

This is an easy project that adds a little more originality to an AC LM glove box.
I have a 1965 with factory air. So it has a big evaporator under the glove box. Therefore, the glove box is different from the standard one. I purchased a replacement two piece glove box made in ABS plastic. It is shiny and has tooling marks so the inside isn't very original looking.

I solved this by buying a cheap frocking kit from ebay. It is very simple to do. First, remove the glove box from the car. Next, clean the inside with a solvent like acetone, brake cleaner or the like to remove wax and grease. Next, spread on the "glue" they give you in the kit. (In my kit it is a flat black paint.) Make the glue thin and smooth with your brush.

Next, blow on the black frocking with the supplied squeeze bottle onto the glue and be generous. Don't touch the frocking flakes with anything. Let it dry for a few hours and dump the extra frocking into a container to empty into your squeeze bottle for reuse. Reinstall your glove box. Now it looks better and should be quieter when contents move around.
Attachments
Unfrocked plastic glove box top
Unfrocked plastic glove box top
Frocked glove box top
Frocked glove box top
Completed glove box installed
Completed glove box installed
Spectre

Re: Frocking AC car glove box

Post by Spectre »

That came out really nice.
David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible, 140/4sp
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera, 3.6L/7sp PDK
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :goodpost: :ty: :woo: :coolphotos:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Nice work but did you mean to say "flocking"? I used to make little jewelry boxes and used the same process to line the drawer interior surfaces. Never heard it called frocking but who knows?

Such as...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402605734623?i ... R8a2na3PYw
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
SpiderMan

Post by SpiderMan »

When I read the title of your post I thought Frocking was a substitute explicative.
I am a pedal steel guitar owner/player. The undercarriage of the body is "Flocked" typically (I think that is the correct term, l instead of r), to dampen mechanical noise. When your spare key and wrench bounce around in the glove compartment there won't be so much noise.
Nice job.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Spiderman -- I have two A/C cars so that was a helpful tip.

One thing --- is the flocking durable? Just wondering if it rubs off onto items in the glove box.
belaraphon

Post by belaraphon »

Thanks for the compliment. Oh goodness. It is flocking, sorry my typo. I don't know how durable it is since I just performed the flocking. I originally bought it for another project that I will show everyone if it turns out OK. I realized it could also be used on the glove box. Time will tell I guess. The flocking is little nylon particles so if they come off they won't hurt anything. (A frock is a gown or outer garment. Or to ordain a priest). So I guess I coated my glove box in a garment of nylon fibers. :doh:

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”