New member, just bought a 66 Corsa 140 Coupe

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
MrDoggity

New member, just bought a 66 Corsa 140 Coupe

Post by MrDoggity »

Thanks for the add. I am a long-time Corvair enthusiast. My dad bought a 1962 Monza brand new when I was a toddler. I always loved it. He sold it before I was old enough to drive. I bought my first Corvair when I turned 16, it was a 65 Monza 140 4speed. I've owned a couple of FC's also, a 62 Greenbrier and a 64 Corvan 95.
The one I just bought has some features that make me think it may have been one of the Herschberger "Solar Cavalier" cars.
It doesn't have the Fitch roof, but it does have the remnants of a vinyl roof with a reptile-like texture, and it has the 67 Camaro tail lights. Is there a registry of these cars so I can confirm?
Duane
Roeland Park, KS.
cnicol

Re: New member, just bought a 66 Corsa 140 Coupe

Post by cnicol »

Welcome and it sounds like you have a great "new" Corvair.

I'll bet you have a Solar Sprint. Solar bought the Fitch business and continued for a few years in the '70s. I've had two Solar Sprints and currently own a Fitch Sprint. Many Solar Sprint's had vinyl roofs and most had Camaro tail lights.
Does it have any other Sprint goodies?
Here are pictures of my '65 and '68 Solar Sprints. The '65 was one of Solar's catalog cars so the BW photo is actually from the catalog. The gold car is a Solar Cavalier in process.
Do you recognize any other Sprint parts you might have on your car? One tell-tale for Solar Sprints is an alligator grain vinyl rear tail light cove.
s (1).jpg
s (2).JPG
ssa (3).jpg
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
MrDoggity

Post by MrDoggity »

Update - I just corresponded with Bruce Herschberger. He said there is no official registry, but he did give me some things to look for to confirm. I will be digging into that this weekend.
MrDoggity

Post by MrDoggity »

Thanks for the info! Cool looking cars.
cnicol wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:23 pm Welcome and it sounds like you have a great "new" Corvair.

I'll bet you have a Solar Sprint. Solar bought the Fitch business and continued for a few years in the '70s. I've had two Solar Sprints and currently own a Fitch Sprint. Many Solar Sprint's had vinyl roofs and most had Camaro tail lights.
Does it have any other Sprint goodies?
Here are pictures of my '65 and '68 Solar Sprints. The '65 was one of Solar's catalog cars so the BW photo is actually from the catalog. The gold car is a Solar Cavalier in process.
Do you recognize any other Sprint parts you might have on your car? One tell-tale for Solar Sprints is an alligator grain vinyl rear tail light cove.
s (1).jpgs (2).JPGssa (3).jpg

Return to “Introductions”