Heater hose source

All Models and Years
joelsplace

Heater hose source

Post by joelsplace »

I got this link from Al on the defunct forum and it is cheaper than Clark's at $11/ft vs $16/ft but that is still crazy expensive.
Anyone have a better source?
https://hosewarehouse.com/products/flex ... -hose-25ft
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
66vairguy

Re: Heater hose source

Post by 66vairguy »

joelsplace wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:12 pm I got this link from Al on the defunct forum and it is cheaper than Clark's at $11/ft vs $16/ft but that is still crazy expensive.
Anyone have a better source?
https://hosewarehouse.com/products/flex ... -hose-25ft
I've used Hosewarehouse for A/C hose and fitting. Great to work with. If you note they have actually lowered their price. During COVID prices shot up and supplies dried up.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

I'll have to dig up the source but a year or so ago I bought enough for two cars for about $100/car (Update $70) shipped! It's similar to stock but the cloth is a little thicker. It's also a millionth of a percent larger ID so it goes onto the nozzles without the effort stock hose requires. Very happy with it.
Last edited by cnicol on Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Let us know. Thanks!
Northlake, TX
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

I bought it because of its temp rating and other properties were what was needed for the Vair. I kept 2 Vair"s quantities for my use. I sold off the remainder. No profit, but happy customers. At the time, price per set was less than Vair vendors price.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I've bought hose from Zoro in 25' lengths I think 3 times now. I keep casting about for the ideal hose without much luck. They have more than a few to choose from. Some is rather stiff.
The stuff I have now is a tad small and difficult to get on. I (we) use Syl-Glyde and heat. I'm not going to throw 20' away so I (we) will just have to work through it. You would think 4" would be 4" but they do vary. Something that will take high temperatures is certainly a consideration.
The last stuff I got from Clarks several years ago was rather stiff as well but they could very well have changed by now too.
25' of heater hose takes me quite a while to go through.
Last time I called Zoro when ordering and while she was as helpful as possible, she couldn't really speak to differences in hose more than I could read about myself.
I shall watch this thread for ideas and have a look at how much hose I have left.
The size of the box and shipping may be a killer this next time.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

The stuff I bought came from https://whiteheadindustrial.com/

The stuff I get is "Flexair" HTNP2 4". $70 per car if you buy enough for two cars. Why two cars? If you spend over $100, shipping is free so shipped price for 14ft is $140.
https://whiteheadindustrial.com/neo-duc ... ple-sizes/
Great specs re oil and temperature and it's tougher than original. The only caveat is you have to spread the "P" hangers at the joint to expand them enough to get over the hose. It easily slides over Corvair nozzles.

For reference, Clarks is $175 for one car, shipped, $313 for two cars, shipped
Whitehead: About $100 for one car, shipped, $140 for two cars, shipped.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Clark's shows $150 for 2 original style and $99.80 for the non-original style. OH your is with shipping.
Isn't 14ft almost enough for 3 cars?
The stuff Clark's sells comes in 3' lengths and it is too long I would think 5' would easily do both sides.
Have you checked the condition after running it a while? It is rated at 250 degrees while the stuff Al bought is rated at 325.
Does anyone know how hot the air gets at the engine shroud? Coming right off the exhaust system I was a little afraid of the 325 rated stuff since it is on there in the summer also.
Northlake, TX
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

You can get all the sizes and varying degrees of quality of the hoses from Aircraft Spruce. The orange silicone hoses are high temp and if not rubbing last an incredibly long time. I don't know how pricing compares, I had an account and did get a break on the pricing, and because I piggybacked on company orders didn't have to pay for postage.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/ducting.html
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

The Whitehead stuff is $249.75 for 25'. I don't mind paying up if it goes on the duct easy and is relatively flexible.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

joelsplace wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:41 am Snip
It is rated at 250 degrees while the stuff Al bought is rated at 325.
Does anyone know how hot the air gets at the engine shroud? Coming right off the exhaust system I was a little afraid of the 325 rated stuff since it is on there in the summer also.
I had an air temp gauge in the adapter right where the heater hose attached, I frequently saw 300 degrees there. When Frank Parker(RIP) and I did the electric fan test we had a probe right by the thermostat, the highest we saw was 361 and that was at idle after driving.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I was thinking a 325 hose would be pushing it. Thanks for the confirmation.
Northlake, TX
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

Looks like the Whitehead stuff is 250 degrees. How's it going where it's been installed? I'm just going by being in the vicinity of heater hoses but it doesn't seem like they're at 250 degrees.
I don't know if some of my customers would be keen on orange hoses. The only black one I saw at Aircraft Spruce was sort of spendy with a 10' maximum length. I was thinking left and right together might be 60", if I'm right that would o 2 cars.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Wow. I went to order from Hose Warehouse and they want $59 shipping on 25' and $100 on 50'!
Northlake, TX
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

So hosewarehouse is 325 degrees but we don't know if has favorable flexibility and a slightly larger inside diameter like the stuff from whiteheadindustrial that is 250 degrees.

Since I don't need any today I hope to get updated reports on the two kinds.
hosewarehouse on flexibility and ease of putting on the ducts.
whiteheadindustrial on if it holds up to the temperature.

25' of hose comes in a very large box so $59 doesn't surprise me. I paid $75 for a gas tank shipped from Massachusetts.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

jimbrandberg wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:22 am So hosewarehouse is 325 degrees but we don't know if has favorable flexibility and a slightly larger inside diameter like the stuff from whiteheadindustrial that is 250 degrees.

Since I don't need any today I hope to get updated reports on the two kinds.
hosewarehouse on flexibility and ease of putting on the ducts.
whiteheadindustrial on if it holds up to the temperature.

25' of hose comes in a very large box so $59 doesn't surprise me. I paid $75 for a gas tank shipped from Massachusetts.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
Yes a few years ago shippers raised the rates on "big and bulky" items. The other issue is UPS decided to stop shipping for "smaller" customers (as Clark's discovered) that resulted in less competition.

This is why I pay for Amazon Prime. I compare prices and the price to pay for an item AND shipping is usually more that the Amazon price WITH shipping included. It is why many smaller companies are selling on Amazon now.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”