62 Corvair Wagon

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
66vairguy

Re: 62 Corvair Wagon

Post by 66vairguy »

watersrl62 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:24 am Thanks to everyone who replied. It is a 1962 Monza Wagon, engine currently has a 4 carb setup, power glide trans, white body, burgundy roof. It has a custom burgundy interior, custom front grill, custom brake lights. It has a white body with burgundy top. Both will be repainted once I complete rust repairs. Let the fun begin....
Years ago a fellow in the local club had a wagon with a 140HP with PG and he complained it would not run well due to timing issues. Either it would ping a lot, or reducing the timing would make it loose power and the fuel mileage was awful.

The problem was a 140HP manual transmission distributor! The LM Corvairs equipped with a 140HP and PG were different. One thing was a revised distributor curve. I found the 110HP distributor was close in timing to the 140HP PG distributor, except the static timing was 2 degrees greater. I gave him a good 110HP distributor and he set the timing 2 degree less at static for the 110HP distributor in LM cars. It solved his problems. The engine put out more power and NO pinging.

Not saying you'll have the issue, just something to know. When you have time find the distributor number and we can tell you what engine it is for. Enjoy the car.
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

joelsplace wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:13 pm Thanks!
Is it good quality?
It is laminated not tempered, however, optically it is good.
I also chose the green tint and would buy from them again.
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

One other very unique part to the wagons, and it can bee seen (in part) on page one of Tom's post is the very fragile, thin, brittle (by now) two piece plastic covers over the rear hatch torsion bars. I mention this because IF they are still in the car be very careful with them. I don't know if they are still available NOS, or there have been replacements available (I doubt it given the low volume need) but my guess is they are going to be hard to find. Mine are barely "there" but I was hoping to used them as a form to make new ones from fiberglass.
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

I thought that Clark's reproduced those covers several years ago?
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Wittsend wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:28 am One other very unique part to the wagons, ... two piece plastic covers over the rear hatch torsion bars
Mine is from Clarks, they repo them and they are MUCH better than OEM. Thicker and I do not they will crack.

Highly recommend, but not cheap!
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
radvair03

Post by radvair03 »

Did you by any chance buy this wagon in Florida?

WT
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Gotta be the one from Ft Myers. If it is, interesting 6 tail light setup. Dennis
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

62 Monza Wagons are quite rare. It sounds like you have a nice one with the 140 and all. I too would be interested in the air cleaner arrangement.
Jim Brandberg
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

I had a '62 Monza wagon "way back when". It was one of my favorites. It was always fun when the trunk was open: People would see the obvious trunk cavity, then look at all the windows and load floor in the back and ask "Where is the engine?" Always good for a laugh!
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

cnicol wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:17 am I had a '62 Monza wagon "way back when". It was one of my favorites. It was always fun when the trunk was open: People would see the obvious trunk cavity, then look at all the windows and load floor in the back and ask "Where is the engine?" Always good for a laugh!
My parents bought a new 1962 Monza Wagon, Black, Red Bucket Seats, PG, 102HP 3:55 Positraction and an AM Radio.
They sold it around 1969 which saddened me since I wanted it for myself. As it turned out I was able to locate it and purchase it back about five years later (Woody Schwartz had it). Some of you might recognize that name from way back.
Eventually I traded it for a 1961 Bubble Top Impala.
Last I knew, it was headed to Florida.

As for folks looking for the Engine, that happened to me this past summer at a "Cruise In" event where I had all the doors open on my Greenbrier. I happened to look back toward the van and saw a couple individuals looking under the front of the van for the Engine. I went to talk to them and that is indeed what they were looking for as they were confused.
Once I showed them where it was, they were impressed.
I have also had several individuals seem surprised to learn that it is a Chevrolet.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
watersrl62

Post by watersrl62 »

Unfortunately the deal for this wagon did not go through. After looking at it closer with a friend who knows Corvairs, I discovered various issues that were not apparent when first was talking to owner. Bummer! I am still looking for a wagon. Thanks for all the replies.

Return to “Introductions”