Generator Bracket Question

All Models and Years
RKF

Generator Bracket Question

Post by RKF »

My generator mounting bracket is like the one shown below. I have the bushing and bolt to mount the bracket to the generator. That end of the bracket makes sense.

But what is up with the oversize square hole where the bracket bolts to the block? I'm currently using a shock absorber washer to hold the bracket to the block, but I want to mount the bracket correctly.

I've looked in the assembly manual and in parts catalogs, but I can't find the piece that is supposed to go in, or on top of, the square hole.

I hope that all makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

[
gen-rear-bracket-1962-64 (1).jpg
caraholic4life

Re: Generator Bracket Question

Post by caraholic4life »

Here is a Screenshot from the Clark's Catalog that may be of some help. http://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=83

Order the Clark's Part number C4350 (Performance): BOLT-GEN MOUNTING-COMPLETE WITH BUSHINGS 1964 as it comes with everything you should need to properly mount the bracket to the Generator. $9.55

The Rubber Bushings only appear to be Part number C509R: GEN MOUNTING BUSHING - 2 NEEDED $2.75 ea.

The Steel Sleeve that is installed in the center of the bushings is Part number C509A: GENERATOR MOUNTING STEEL SLEEVE $3.15

NOTE:
It also appears that there are TWO different style brackets depending on the year of your Corvair.
These brackets are different length's which may make a difference regarding your situation.
Used Bracket Part number CU1248: USED GEN BRACKET TO HEAD-4" (SOME 63-64) $8.00
Used Bracket Part number CU1246: USED GEN BRACKET TO HEAD 7 13/32(60-63* *SOME) $8.00
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 09-31-29 Clark's Corvair Parts Inc. - Corvair Parts Catalog - Over 12 000 parts - pg 83.png
Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 09-46-18 Clark's Corvair Parts Inc. - Corvair Parts Catalog - Over 12 000 parts - pg 351.png
Last edited by caraholic4life on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
RKF

Post by RKF »

caraholic4life wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:35 am Here is a Screenshot from the Clark's Catalog that may be of some help.

Thanks, but that actually confuses me more. The Clarks diagram shows two attaching bolts, but there are not two corresponding holes in the bracket. I know I'm missing something obvious, but this has me stumped.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

RKF wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:46 am
caraholic4life wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:35 am Here is a Screenshot from the Clark's Catalog that may be of some help.

Thanks, but that actually confuses me more. The Clarks diagram shows two attaching bolts, but there are not two corresponding holes in the bracket. I know I'm missing something obvious, but this has me stumped.
I added/edited my reply. It appears there were TWO different brackets over the years.
One bracket was about 4" long which I suspect is the one you are referring to.
The other was 7-13/32" long which is probably the version with two mounting holes.
I suspect that the bushing would be the same in either situation.
My guess is that the longer bracket would offer more support. I hope this clear things up a little.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
RKF

Post by RKF »

The bushings and bolts you referred to are used to mount the bracket to the generator. I have that hardware installed already.

My problem is at the other end of the bracket, where the bracket attaches to the head. I do agree that there must be two styles of brackets and the illustration in Clarks catalog shows the other style.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Take a look at this thread as it may be of some use to you as it contains some valuable insight regarding the variations over the years for different generator mounts. Apparently a PG car used a different method than one with a Manual transmission.
http://corvaircenter.com/forum/viewtopi ... g#p1177559

The attached photo's are from the mentioned thread above.
Note that the Stud you see is incorrect, a Bolt was installed there when assembled new. (See last photo)
It is not my intention to further confuse you but It appears there may have been as many as five different mounting brackets.
I am more familiar with Corvairs that have Alternators rather than Generators so what I have offered is the result of searching the forums for information.
Attachments
Corvair Generator Illustration.jpg
Corvair Generator Bracket1.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 11-27-17 1964 PG generator mounting bracket - Corvair Center Forum.png
Corvair Generator bolt photo.jpg
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

Of the long (2 bolt to the head brackets) brackets that I have seen they do not have a notch for clearance of the choke rod. They cover about 1/3 of the choke rod hole so GM would have surely notched it for clearance. For this reason I'm guessing that the short bracket started in '62?
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Roger, I have seen a washer head bolt and a regular bolt in that position. The regular bolt needs a lock and flat washer. The washer head bolt needs to be longer than the other ones holding the sheet metal to the head in the 3/8-16 holes, as it needs to go through the thick bracket. If the standard length is used, I've seen them wallow out their hole. The square hole is to give play to that bolt because of the rubber bushing on the generator end makes the head end of the bracket not precise location!

:rallye: :thewave:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
RKF

Post by RKF »

Thanks Frank. I am using a washer and bolt now, but it just seems like a sloppy way to secure the bracket. But if that is how GM did it, than it's good enough for me.
whubbell

Post by whubbell »

I’ve written an article that explains the various generator brackets here:

https://stock.corvair.org/wordpress/202 ... -brackets/
Bill Hubbell
President, Stock Corvair Group
whubbell

Post by whubbell »

caraholic4life wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:35 am NOTE:
It also appears that there are TWO different style brackets depending on the year of your Corvair.
These brackets are different length's which may make a difference regarding your situation.
Oh no, there are far more than two different styles!!

See my article here: https://stock.corvair.org/wordpress/202 ... -brackets/
Bill Hubbell
whubbell

Post by whubbell »

RKF wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:46 pm Thanks Frank. I am using a washer and bolt now, but it just seems like a sloppy way to secure the bracket. But if that is how GM did it, than it's good enough for me.
The square hole is to allow the bracket to settle into the position which puts the least possible stress on the generator end frame. To function properly, it is CRITICAL that you follow the shop manual assembly order precisely. Failure to install the generator correctly is the primary cause for end frame breakage.

The photo show the instructions for 1961, which used the longer bracket with two bolts going into the head. The only change for the 1962-64 style with one hole was to eliminate the last sentence.

The basic sequence is as follows:
1) install and torque the two bolts that secure the generator pulley end frame to the oil filter adapter,
2) attach the bracket to the generator finger tight
3) attach the bracket to the head finger tight
4) torque the bolt attaching generator to bracket
5) torque the bolt(s) attaching bracket to head
Attachments
IMG_6297.jpeg
Bill Hubbell
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Yes! That was what I meant by the big hole allows : The square hole is to give play to that bolt because of the rubber bushing on the generator end makes the head end of the bracket not precise location!

Bill's directions are spot on. Start with the fixed end first, then work to OPE (opposite pulley end in electric motor speak), then finally bolt bracket to head. :tu: :goodpost: :Spyder: :coffee:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
RKF

Post by RKF »

Thank you Bill and Frank. Good advice.

Roger
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Thanks Bill for the link to a great generator article.

I mostly help club folks with LM electrical issues. Over the years I have not meant any Corvair folks that mentioned the different generator hardware.
whubbell

Post by whubbell »

I finally found an actual HDLCI (35 amp Heavy Duty Low Cut-In) generator bracket! This one is for 1962-64, as it has a notch to clear the auto choke rod. I presume the 1960-61 HDLCI bracket would look the same, minus the notch.
IMG_6319.jpeg
Next two photos compare the HDLCI bracket to the 1960-61 regular (30 amp) generator bracket. Note the various differences:
1) HDLCI bracket has a flat base
2) HDLCI bracket has smaller hole on the generator end, because it did not use a grommet.
3) HDLCI bracket has an enclosed hole for forward head bolt
IMG_6325.jpeg
IMG_6324.jpeg
Bill Hubbell

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”