Spyder thermistor wire

All Models and Years
Dennis66

Spyder thermistor wire

Post by Dennis66 »

So I will be installing a Spyder instrument panel in my '62 Monza. I've started working on an extra wiring harness for my tachometer (no brainer, hooks to negative side of coil), electric fuel pump (not original, but will hook to #4 terminal of my late model regulator), and head temperature (which will be in my left head using a Clark's adapter). I've never seen where the thermistor wire leaves the engine or where it goes into the engine compartment harness. Any Spyder owners have a picture of this? Dennis
Doug Ward

Re: Spyder thermistor wire

Post by Doug Ward »

Hi Dennis, I did the exact thing to the '62 Monza convert that I am restoring right now.
1st, run the wire from the thermister up thru a grommet in the LH heater duct on the engine. Pull it up to the engine bay so you can put a plug on it. Now run a new wire along with the body harness up to the head temp gauge. Attach it to the gauge & be sure you provide a good ground wire too. Add the other side for the plug you installed & plug it in to the thermister wire. Done !
Also, on my car, I'm going to keep the engine stock (unblown), so I won't need the manifold pressure / vacuum gauge, so I found a pretty good matching oil pressure gauge ( electric) and installed that into the dash instead of the manifold gauge. It looks stock & I'm happy with the results.
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Get head temp wiring C7870 and grommet c1278R. Make same hole in left front heat offtake panel as the one in the right rear .closeout panel for the over temp wiring. Connect wire to thermister. Run wire in grommet and insert grommet in panel. Run new wire from new wire to temp gage on dash. You might want to put a disconnect on the wire for engjne removals
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Thanks Doug and Lane. That was kind of my plan. Dennis
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Factory wiring for the cylinder head temp gauge wire goes through a good-sized (3/4"?) hole in the side of the left-front heater duct.
From there, it goes up to the main fuel/electrical grommet, passes into the engine compartment and plugs into the harness in the left front corner of the engine compartment.
Thermister wire (2).jpg
[attachment=0

Inside the lower shroud, the wire loops over the pushrod tube and onto the termister
]Thermister wire (1).jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Thermister wire (1).jpg
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

MANY THANKS. Exactly what I was looking for. Dennis
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Craig, I see out west there you do not HAVE to use stainless studs like we do if one needs to remove the exhaust again. :woo:

:vert: :wrench: :02: :rallye:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”