New owner, New member

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
buzz1009

Re: New owner, New member

Post by buzz1009 »

W E L C O M E !!!
Gary
'65 500 cpe, 110/4
'61 Rampside, 80/4, floor leveler
MtnVairMike

Post by MtnVairMike »

MonzaMike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:13 am Hello 1949Chevy, Thank you. I didn’t know about the club. I’ve just joined CORSA and haven’t really looked yet. This car came from a gentleman in Newton, NC. He acquired it from Travellers Rest, SC. He has a white 62 and recently bought a red 64.
MIke

Our meeting is at 1PM Saturday 2/10/24 at Hillman"s Brewing, Old Fort, NC
Good food and drink. I'll be there!

Welcome!
More on our club NC Mountain Corvairs at:
https://vairsinthevalley.com/

Thanks,

Mike
1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green, #3753
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

:welcome2: :tu: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

I live on the Georgia/North Carolina border, near Hiawassee, Georgia. The Asheville CORSA meeting location is about 125 miles from my home, but I think I would rather drive north than south to the Atlanta area! I will have to check this out at a future meeting, but cannot make it to the next meeting. Maybe in the Spring! :dontknow:

I began with Corvairs in 1961, when my parents bought their first brand new Monza coupe — I was eight years old. They upgraded to a new Corvair Corsa convertible (140hp) in 1965.

Warren Bodie and son Brad at Edwards AFB Air Show in 1965 with our new 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible (140HP)

I took my first driver's license test in that Corvair in 1969. In that same year my father bought a cheap 1963 Corvair 500 (Powerglide Automatic) with a frozen engine for me to learn on. At age 16 I spent my summer vacation learning to remove the powertrain and successfully overhauled the engine. Some months later my father located a 1962 Monza coupe with a bad engine, and I swapped my recently overhauled 1963 engine into that 1962 Monza (manual 4-speed transaxle).

Several years later, at age 19, I got married in that 1962 Corvair and we traveled up the California coast from Southern California to the San Francisco Bay Area on our honeymoon. My 1963 overhauled engine served us well!

52 years later I'm still married to the same girl, and still drive Corvairs!

The Corvair SpringFest is hosted in Helen, Georgia. You never mentioned your location, but you might consider making the journey down to Helen to attend SpringFest in April!

:link: https://corvairspringfest.com/

ImageImage
ImageTAPROOMImage
This location opened in July 2020 in the hidden gem of the town of Old Fort. Nestled against the beautiful fresh water of Mill Creek the brewery boasts over 10,000 square feet of indoor/outdoor seating with over 32 taps. Enjoy the numerous community style tables or grab a private two top on the deck next to the creek.

OLD FORT
Sunday 12-10pm
Mon-Tues 11am-10pm
Wed-Sat 11am-11pm
Kitchen closes 9pm Sun-Thurs / 10pm Fri-Sat

MIke

Our meeting is at 1PM Saturday 2/10/24 at Hillman"s Brewing, Old Fort, NC
Good food and drink. I'll be there!

78 Catawba Ave, Old Fort
828-668-6372

:link: https://hillmanbeer.com/old-fort-taproom/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
MonzaMike

Post by MonzaMike »

I’m really going to try! I’m a little southwest of Hickory. I think Old Fort is probably an hour from me. The biggest obstacle will be guests we currently have🤨. I’ve been driving the old girl around town a bit. So far so good. I’m getting parts Thursday to put my PCV situation back to stock form.
First thing tomorrow I have to meet a DMV Inspector and see if they will reinspect or fix their paperwork. They sent in their report saying it was a 1962 when the previous owner brought it up from South Carolina and had the first inspection.
1963 Monza Club Coupe
Western North Carolina
Catawba County
Doug Ward

Post by Doug Ward »

Welcome here Mike. It looks like you have found a pretty nice car. My 1st Corvair was a brand new '61 Monza 4 spd coupe. It was Tuxedo black with red interior. As soon as my parents saw mine, they bought a new "61 Monza coupe, exactly like yours. White with the light blue interior. Automatic. We both drove our Monza's coast to coast several times. I always loved the color of Mom & Dad's Monza. Yours too !
I currently have a '65 Corsa and a '62 Monza convert.
MonzaMike

Post by MonzaMike »

Thank you. We never had one when I was young. I do remember seeing them around town. Funny thing, I was going to look at a restored 54 Chevy that this guy had for sale. As I turned into his driveway, I saw this car sitting just outside a garage. I immediately told my wife, “Look at that” and pointed at this car. I gave the 54 a look but I asked about the Corvair. He told me he would sell it. We drove it around a bit and I said I wanted it. He still has two that he drives.
1963 Monza Club Coupe
Western North Carolina
Catawba County
Project65

Post by Project65 »

:welcomeparty:

Welcome Mike. Growing up, we had a ‘63 coupe. I really liked the look of the trim on the ‘63 over the other early model years. You have a nice looking car there!
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
MonzaMike

Post by MonzaMike »

Thank you, Project65. I’m enjoying it. Funny how many horn honks and thumbs up I’ve been getting. At first my wife thought they were giving me “the finger” haha. Definitely not used to it. But it’s cool.
1963 Monza Club Coupe
Western North Carolina
Catawba County

Return to “Introductions”