New owner, New member

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
MonzaMike

New owner, New member

Post by MonzaMike »

Hello forum. I just acquired my first Corvair. I’m in western North Carolina. I picked up a 1963 Monza Sport Coupe. It has an older repaint of original white. Blue interior that’s a 9 out of 10. 49,000 miles. I’m excited to drive it and get it back to its original glory. My first mod is the driver seat extender to get my 6’2” frame a little more room. Looking forward to being a part of the forum.
1963 Monza Club Coupe
Western North Carolina
Catawba County
wlcarroll

Re: New owner, New member

Post by wlcarroll »

From another new member, welcome! Mine is a 63 Monza convertible. I’d be interested in hearing how the seat extenders work out for you, I’ve considered giving them a try.
Wes Carroll
Baton Rouge LA
63 Monza Convertible
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

To both of you new members WELCOME to the best Corvair forum on the internet! :rafman:
chris

Post by chris »

Welcome, you've come to a good place!
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Seat extender? I'm 6'-4'' ('62 convertible). Dennis
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

:welcome:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Welcome, post pics, we love pics. :guitar:
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

MonzaMike wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:06 pm Hello forum. I just acquired my first Corvair. I’m in western North Carolina. I picked up a 1963 Monza Sport Coupe. It has an older repaint of original white. Blue interior that’s a 9 out of 10. 49,000 miles. I’m excited to drive it and get it back to its original glory. My first mod is the driver seat extender to get my 6’2” frame a little more room. Looking forward to being a part of the forum.
Welcome --- The Corvair isn't a "small" car by today's standards, yet the inside isn't that big. Just 60's ergonomics.

Many install seat extenders, even folks not that tall. It depends on how one is built. See attached article by John Fitch (of Corvair Sprint fame) for seat extenders. Just one of different schemes.
Attachments
John Fitch seat extender instructions.jpg
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Welcome, hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Seat extenders work great, I bought mine from Clark’s and use about 1 1/2 of the 3 additional inches they provide. I’m 6’ 1” and now very comfortable in my Corvair.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
MonzaMike

Post by MonzaMike »

Thanks for the info and feedback on the seat extenders. Just got set up with Clark’s and they’re on my first order. I’ve got a few pics when picking it up. Was hoping to shine it up and get some better pics soon.
MonzaMike

Post by MonzaMike »

IMG_2327.jpeg
IMG_2326.jpeg
IMG_2322.jpeg
1963 Monza Club Coupe
Western North Carolina
Catawba County
MonzaMike

Post by MonzaMike »

66vairguy, is this an instruction sheet for the Clark’s version?
1963 Monza Club Coupe
Western North Carolina
Catawba County
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

MonzaMike wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:16 pm 66vairguy, is this an instruction sheet for the Clark’s version?
No it was for a John Fitch product. Fitch made a number of Corvair items and has quite a history. I'm not sure what Clark's sells and who makes them.
MonzaMike

Post by MonzaMike »

Well my first Clark’s package arrived. The seat extender was pretty straight forward. One hitch was the right side rail. It runs directly over the seatbelt bolt. I had to make a little adjustment to get it to bolt down. Then when I torqued the bolts down, it created a slight arc to the new plates which transferred to the seat rails. It kept the seat from locking in at the rear-most position. A couple of spacers under the front rail bolts straightened it all out. Ultimately those 3” made a HUGE difference in getting in and out to someone with a fused lumbar spine.
I replaced the nearly missing trunk weather stripping. Went pretty well also. The trunk did close afterward but you can see that it bulges a little. I assume it will settle down with compression eventually.
Attachments
In progress
In progress
1963 Monza Club Coupe
Western North Carolina
Catawba County
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

Hey Monzamike, did you know there is a local Corvair club here in WNC. They are meeting this Sat in Old Fort at 1 pm. We have a Corvair mechanic in the club and he could tell you all about the dash pad replacement. Your car sounds like a car I went down to Riverside Dr to look at. My friend told me about a white 63 he wanted me to buy. It was very original, had low miles on it but very dirty and did not run. It seemed like a very solid car but I had no place to keep it at that time. He wanted 3500 for it and I declined and another of our club member went and looked at it to buy but also declined to buy it. I understood the car came from the Marion area or somewhere down there. My friend had someone here in Asheville clean it up and get it running and then sold it. Not sure it was yours but sure sounds and looks just like it. It was a really nice car. Here are two of my current Corvairs...the 64 being for sale and owning the 66 for years. I split both engines and rebuilt them myself...the 66 140 car has nearly 3 yrs of very hard abusive driving on it and surprised the engine has lasted this long but still does not leak any oil or smoke. The 64 conv has close to 100 miles on it now and no oil leaks either.
66 low res 140 pg car.jpg
DSC_1597 copy.jpg
MonzaMike

Post by MonzaMike »

Hello 1949Chevy, Thank you. I didn’t know about the club. I’ve just joined CORSA and haven’t really looked yet. This car came from a gentleman in Newton, NC. He acquired it from Travellers Rest, SC. He has a white 62 and recently bought a red 64.
1963 Monza Club Coupe
Western North Carolina
Catawba County

Return to “Introductions”