Electric washer pump

Need to know how? Want to show how?
belaraphon

Electric washer pump

Post by belaraphon »

Hi all,
I came across a video on youtube where Shawn ofAuto Anatomy (youtube.com/watch?v=PTxRvRJOasl) installed an electric windshield washer pump on his 65. I realized I haven't addressed mine yet on my rebuild and of course it doesn't work. Well the kit to repair the mechanical pump and a new electric pump are about the same. So I went the electric pump route since my experience with the mechanical pumps is less than ideal.

It was a simple conversion. First I removed the old mechanical pump and fabricated a simple sheet metal bracket to mount the new pump above the mechanical pump drive sprocket. I shortened the two wires on the new pump and put on GM flat connectors. I mounted the pump on the new bracket and plugged in the new pump to the factory connector (Red from pump to black/yellow on connector and black from pump to dark blue on factory connector). Next I used the supplied tubing to splice in the washer hoses.

I used a different pump than Auto Anatomy did (ACI 199600 Universal Washer Pump Kit on Amazon) as the kit included a tee and hose adapter needed to replace the mechanical pump. So after getting my electric pump installed I can say it is so much better than the mechanical pump as it sprays water immediately and continuously as the button is held down. Shawn was somewhat concerned to make his installation look stock while I wasn't, especially since mine is mostly behind the AC fan. So here is a cheap and easy project for the New Year for those so inclined.
washer5.jpg
Attachments
washer2.jpg
Lane66Monza

Re: Electric washer pump

Post by Lane66Monza »

Nice installation.

I did a double improvement pump and reservoir to my windshield washer system. Pump is mounted in tank on back side, which keeps the new pump and connector protected. I am using an electric pump and reservoir from mid 80s Chevy trucks in my Vair.

Twice fluid capacity with an electric motor from the mid 80s Chevy truck. About $55 plus shipping from LMC Trucks to convert the Vair system. It is about same pricing as a replacement OEM washer pump and works better. It has reliability and a good spray with existing nozzles going for it.

Corvair Windshield Washer Tank & Pump Mod.docx
(123.83 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
20191110_113717_resized.jpg
20191110_113736_resized.jpg
20191110_113415_resized_1.jpg
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
belaraphon

Post by belaraphon »

Very nice solution to the problem. I am always impressed by the creativity and skills of the folks on this forum. Thanks for sharing.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I have used the rebuild kits for the stock pumps and have had no problems, I have installed the aftermarket pumps as well, but if you want it stock the rebuild kits are fine.
belaraphon

Post by belaraphon »

My objection to the stock pump is the 4 squirter cycle can have a wiper blade dragging on dry glass. In my restoration I have kept my car stock, but I am not a slave to it by making some "improvements". I'm glad you have good luck with stock pump. I have the system on my 68 elcamino and never liked but haven't needed to use it much. Thanks for your videos over the years.
Auto Anatomy

Post by Auto Anatomy »

Thanks for the shout out! Installing the electric pump has been one of those mods that makes such a difference in daily driving the Vair. Such a big improvement over the original unit.

Sean
I'm a pulmonary/critical care nurse practitioner that is passionate about bringing classic cars back to life.

www.youtube.com/autoanatomy
www.facebook.com/autoanatomyUS
SkidRo

Post by SkidRo »

I installed the above linked washer pump on my Corsa the other day. The hardest part, for lack of a better word, was finding a piece of sheet metal to form the bracket. The pump works great and it has a lot of pressure. Great mod. Thanks for posting.
Rory
Conway, SC
1966 Corsa
1963 Rampside - still trying to get it on the road
belaraphon

Post by belaraphon »

Thanks! I had some spare sheet metal lying around to make the bracket. You can also pick up some conveniently from HomeDepot. And if you didn't see it, I got the idea from the Auto Anatomy youtube channel. He has been going through his late model Corvair doing all the things everyone has to do on an old Corvair in need of restoration.
Rick4130

Post by Rick4130 »

IMG_1180.jpeg
I did this mod to my ‘63 yesterday. I tried to use the existing bracket, stripped down… I ended up shaving the mounting tabs off the electric motor and securing it with zip ties… it looks ok but I would have just made my own bracket and screwed it on. Oh well, it looks fine and won’t fall apart any time soon! Volume and strength of the squirt is tremendous
Rick Macdonald
1963 700 4dr
Eastern Massachusetts

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”