Refugee from the other forum/New Upholstery

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
R. Mutt

Refugee from the other forum/New Upholstery

Post by R. Mutt »

Things do not seem to work so well there anymore so here I am.

Decided to try something tricky w/ my '60, so made a new interior, my first.
Scrap3.jpg
Didn't have much left of the original interior so had to sort of make things up as I went along.

SeatsKomplete.jpg
Door panels are next.
Of course, being a Corvair, when something is completed something else goes blooey so back underneath today to replace the shift shaft bushing. Wheee.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Refugee from the other forum/New Upholstery

Post by davemotohead »

Welcome former CCF refugee! Corsa sure screwed that place up! And from what I see they are not planning on fixing it! :dontknow:
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Looks well done. I've seen a LOT worse even when folks "tried" to install Clark's upholstery (which is usually good).

I only made my own seat covers for a 69 Olds Vista Cruiser that I installed bucket seats in (no upholster kits for them at the time). They came out well and sure made the car look good.

Decades back a buddy had kids (he often said having kids is like have a house fire when it comes to upholstery) and asked me to take an re-upholster class with him (to drag in his sofa of course). It was a good class and the instructor also made up boat seats so when I asked him about cars he gave me some good tips. Most important thing is the FOUNDATION. If the springs are weak, or the foam is old, the seat will sag and pull the upholstery apart!!! He also showed me how to reinforce the spring with cross ties (GM used those awfull wires in burlap to distribute weight across the springs. I also learned how to make tools to "stuff" areas that were a little loose (no two pairs of seat covers are exacta alike and the foam sometimes is off).

BTW - the early Corvair bucket seat is one of the worst things to re-upholster and get to look good. The "strato" later buckets are so much easier.
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

I seen your seats on CCF. You have done a great looking job. I will try not to talk bad about the other forum but they sure do need some help.

Stick around. Your knowledge can be very helpful.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
R. Mutt

Post by R. Mutt »

Thanks, guys. I agree, no point slagging the other place- the reason for car forums is keeping the vehicles running.

Thanks for the kind words, Gasman, Vairguy, good observations. The Clark's covers are very good, but they do not offer '60 covers, at least it didn't appear they do, otherwise I probably would have saved up for them. Tried to go as quality as possible so new burlap, foam [you are right about the one million little wires] and used Sunbrella woven fabric for the inserts and the thickest marine vinyl I could afford. Of course all I can see are the mistakes, but gotta start somewhere.
BoxCovers.jpg

I'm working with a pretty basic machine, an old Consew Model 18 that just wants to make tarps and tents. Like trying to make a soufflé with an outboard motor. Doesn't even have reverse so it's necessary to take special care to lock stitches and that takes forever. If I stick with this and take on a little work here and there maybe someday I can earn enough for a nice Pfaff or Juki machine that is more cooperative.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Excellent job on doing the Interior! I've always wanted to tackle my own interior but I don't think I can sew a straight line lol.

I also have a '60. It nice to see another one on here. Not allot of us around. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
R. Mutt

Post by R. Mutt »

Trust me on this, Scott- if I can do it anyone can, and I mean that. It's difficult, time-consuming and fills the air with cusswords but that's pretty much the case with learning a new skill no matter what it is.

Lower2.jpg

Realized I overlooked attaching a photo of the little monster. He was found in a front yard in Alpine TX, had very little floor left, was filled with garbage and unrelated car parts and had not run in 47 years. Only vehicle I ever bought because I felt sorry for it.
Rebuilt his engine with NOS GM pistons and cylinders, found some NOS .010 over main bearings, his heads were in miraculously good condition as was his crank which only needed polishing. Generally a very happy car. Three-speed, and like most '60-havers I hope to one day retrofit a 4-speed if one can be found but the 3 works fine.
As you know, '60s do not have antiroll bars so I took one turn from his springs in a bid to improve handling, which did help a bit. I'm happy with what's left of his paint so he just runs some boiled linseed oil for a finish.

OldsLR.JPG

He has one older GM brother here, the '55 Olds I found 39 years ago this October. I have a soft spot for two-door posts.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Clark's lists all the seat upholstery:
https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... _page=269D
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
R. Mutt

Post by R. Mutt »

Have they always? Could swear when I found the car and looked up the matter in '17, they didn't then offer the interior kit for the split-bench seat 700. Probably I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. In any case I'll bet it's a handsome set of upholstery, they have very talented sewists.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

R. Mutt wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:30 am Trust me on this, Scott- if I can do it anyone can, and I mean that. It's difficult, time-consuming and fills the air with cusswords but that's pretty much the case with learning a new skill no matter what it is.

Lower2.jpg

Realized I overlooked attaching a photo of the little monster. He was found in a front yard in Alpine TX, had very little floor left, was filled with garbage and unrelated car parts and had not run in 47 years. Only vehicle I ever bought because I felt sorry for it.
Rebuilt his engine with NOS GM pistons and cylinders, found some NOS .010 over main bearings, his heads were in miraculously good condition as was his crank which only needed polishing. Generally a very happy car. Three-speed, and like most '60-havers I hope to one day retrofit a 4-speed if one can be found but the 3 works fine.
As you know, '60s do not have antiroll bars so I took one turn from his springs in a bid to improve handling, which did help a bit. I'm happy with what's left of his paint so he just runs some boiled linseed oil for a finish.

OldsLR.JPG

He has one older GM brother here, the '55 Olds I found 39 years ago this October. I have a soft spot for two-door posts.
Cool OLDS.
I'm glad you saved the '60. He does look happy. :vert:
I just installed a rebuilt '64 front suspension in mine.
Mine has a '64 4 speed and posi diff also. The rear cross member has to be clearanced for the later 4 speed transmission.

This is the build thread of my '60 if you want to see it.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16544
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
R. Mutt

Post by R. Mutt »

Just looked at your build thread, car is supercool. Always thought Minilites look especially sweet on Corvairs.
Beautiful work, and a purtnear perfect stance. Mine's just a field car, covered in kitty footprints, so he's got a ways to go.

Return to “Introductions”