New Media handling upgrade

Scott H
Site Admin

New Media handling upgrade

Post by Scott H »

You can now just post links to youtube videos without having to do anything else.
Below is a youtube video link pasted into the text body.

Below is a youtube short link pasted into the text. Nothing else needed.

This works with most media sites.
Below is a spotify link.

Below this is a TikTok link

Below is a screenshot to show I have no other codes surrounding the text of the media links. It automatically handles them now.
Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 15-47-44 Corvair Forum - Post a new topic.png
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New Media handling upgrade

Post by bbodie52 »

I checked a recent post that utilized the "SHARE_YOUTUBE" markers to embed a YouTube video. It looks like this operating system "upgrade" has killed every older post that used the old method of embedding a YouTube video. There are likely hundreds of embedded videos in old posts that no longer work!!

Are we supposed to go through all of our posts that included embedded videos and edit every one of them to restore the embedded videos????

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :td: :td: :td: :td:

None of the "FROM THE WORKBENCH OF LARRY CLAYPOOL" posts have an embedded video anymore. The tune-up training videos from GM that were embedded in many of my posts that were intended to help people with tuning and troubleshooting have all been disabled now. Is there any way to restore the old method to make all of these posts functional again???

When Clark's "upgraded" their website some years ago to increase security, the old URL links and embedded images no longer were functional. A change like this may seem like an enhancement to the Corvair Forum, but if it removes backward compatibility from many of the posts that remain as useful reference material throughout the Corvair Forum, you have effectively deleted muny of the older posts that included embedded YouTube videos.I certainly don't have the time to dig through hundreds of old posts to restore functionality. Those posts were correctly formatted when I wrote them. Now they are not!!! The embedded videos no longer display.

I did discover a strange phenomena...

This is now the post displas if you simply go to view it. The embedded video does not display...
Leaving the Post AS IS.jpg
However, if I open the post and simply save it with no editing and no changes, the new operating system then ignores the SHARE_YOUTUBE text and then displays the embedded video properly, with the SHARE_YOUTUBE text sitting on top of the video!
Opening the Post and re-save it with no editing.jpg
So... is there any way to get the "upgrade" to recognise the old method and the new method?
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

bbodie52 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:40 pm I checked a recent post that utilized the "SHARE_YOUTUBE" markers to embed a YouTube video. It looks like this operating system "upgrade" has killed every older post that used the old method of embedding a YouTube video. There are likely hundreds of embedded videos in old posts that no longer work!!

Are we supposed to go through all of our posts that included embedded videos and edit every one of them to restore the embedded videos????

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :td: :td: :td: :td:

None of the "FROM THE WORKBENCH OF LARRY CLAYPOOL" posts have an embedded video anymore. The tune-up training videos from GM that were embedded in many of my posts that were intended to help people with tuning and troubleshooting have all been disabled now. Is there any way to restore the old method to make all of these posts functional again???

When Clark's "upgraded" their website some years ago to increase security, the old URL links and embedded images no longer were functional. A change like this may seem like an enhancement to the Corvair Forum, but if it removes backward compatibility from many of the posts that remain as useful reference material throughout the Corvair Forum, you have effectively deleted muny of the older posts that included embedded YouTube videos.I certainly don't have the time to dig through hundreds of old posts to restore functionality. Those posts were correctly formatted when I wrote them. Now they are not!!! The embedded videos no longer display.

I did discover a strange phenomena...

This is now the post displas if you simply go to view it. The embedded video does not display...

Leaving the Post AS IS.jpg

However, if I open the post and simply save it with no editing and no changes, the new operating system then ignores the SHARE_YOUTUBE text and then displays the embedded video properly, with the SHARE_YOUTUBE text sitting on top of the video!

Opening the Post and re-save it with no editing.jpg

So... is there any way to get the "upgrade" to recognise the old method and the new method?
fixed.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm sorry if I overreacted, but I had had a long and tiring day, and when I sat down and discovered the change in methods for embedding YouTube videos ... Well, I had a "melt-down"!

I did go back and spot-checked several Larry Claypool videos and some GM training videos that I had previously embedded using the old method, and they are all functional again!

I had noted a recent problem with the [share_youtube] method. It seems that YouTube had changed the way they structured the URL when you clicked on the Share button. They appear to be adding a suffix to the URL that includes a Question Mark and some additional code that was preventing the [share_youtube] method from working. For example...

[h]ttps://youtu.be/II1uoBn6whw?si=yJE2u0RRVccf2ihi would only be successful when I attempted to embed a video if I edited the URL to delete everything from the "?" to the end [h]ttps://youtu.be/II1uoBn6whw. The shortened URL then worked properly when I embedded it using the old method on the Corvair Forum.

I was pleased to discover that the URL modification is no longer necessary with the new method of embedding YouTube videos. The Jay Leno YouTube video below successfully was embedded here by simply clicking on the Share button and then placing the resulting complete URL within the text body of a post, as shown below...

I'm glad you were able to develop a "fix" that reactivated all of the old embedded YouTube videos! :clap: All is well in the Corvair Forum world again!
:BradBodie:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Love what you are doing with the site!!
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

doug6423 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:15 am Love what you are doing with the site!!
:ty: :tu: :burnout:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)

Return to “Site Specific Topics”