High beam adjustment foot pedal

Anything Corvair related
manofsteel

High beam adjustment foot pedal

Post by manofsteel »

Was checking my high and low beam and the foot pedal stopped working for high and low. What do I need to do and how go about it? Anyone have one to get rid of? Thanks
Jim
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: High beam adjustment foot pedal

Post by bbodie52 »

manofsteel wrote:Hi all, just bought my first 1965 Monza convertible...

I had mine fail on my 1966 Corsa while driving at night at 50+ MPH on a dark winding mountain road. When I hit the switch to turn on the high beams, ALL THE HEADLIGHTS WENT OUT!!! :eek:

Fortunately, another quick stab at the dimmer switch turned the low beams back on. :clap: :angry: Not a pleasant experience!

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=84B

Part number C457: DIMMER SWITCH

Weight: 0 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Page(s): 84B
Price: $ 12.95

NOTE: This is a common switch (at least it was in the 1960s). You may also find a replacement at a local auto parts store or by browsing the Internet.

Corvair Dimmer Switch Replacement.jpg
:chevy: See BODY AND CHASSIS ELECTRICAL, Page 12-6
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - BODY & CHASSIS ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - BODY & CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
(6.99 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
erco

Post by erco »

Brad beat me to it. That's one of very few "Corvair" standard parts you can buy at Amazon or any auto parts store where they will COMPETE for your business, so head to O'Reilly's or Advance APs!

Under $5 at https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-P ... B004BTF3M6
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

When replacing the high beam floor mounted witch, be sure to look at the wiring plug for corrosion. Corrosion in the plug is a common issue and can cause a variety of headlamp issues. Clark's sell a replacement wiring pigtail for this (new plug and contacts with 6-8" of wire attached to splice in to the harness). If there is any corrosion I highly recommend replacing the plug as it really sucks when you activate the switch while driving at night and the lights turn off, particularly on a dark curvy road (has happened to me on one that I replaced the switch and cleaned the contacts on the plug a few months before).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
erco

Post by erco »

terribleted wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:03 pm When replacing the high beam floor mounted witch, be sure to look at the wiring plug for corrosion. Corrosion in the plug is a common issue and can cause a variety of headlamp issues. Clark's sell a replacement wiring pigtail for this (new plug and contacts with 6-8" of wire attached to splice in to the harness). If there is any corrosion I highly recommend replacing the plug as it really sucks when you activate the switch while driving at night and the lights turn off, particularly on a dark curvy road (has happened to me on one that I replaced the switch and cleaned the contacts on the plug a few months before).
Fun fact: the dimmer switch connector also fits the horn relay (for a LM anyway). In a pinch you could mix & match 'em if you have an extra wiring harness. I bought a used wiring harness for $10 at the 1990 Corsa convention swap meet, it has come in handy many times.

Return to “Corvair Talk”