Backup switch

All Models and Years
my65

Backup switch

Post by my65 »

8A4B1CEE-6D6E-44CC-BAFE-5AB835C798D9.jpeg
I am putting my 66 Corsa back together and when I connected the wiring harnesses, the heater fuse opened up. The wire coming from the fuse block to the harness was disconnected and was found to be shorted. The heater resistor was disconnected and had no improvement. When the wires were removed from the transmission’s backup switch, the short was cleared!! I tested the switch and found a dead short between the connections and the switches body. When I looked at Clark’s part C5365, it shows round, not blade style terminals!?!? I can only see a partial number between terminals 521A. Any ideas where I can buy one???
Attachments
BFA40AD3-50F0-4478-9987-E0682F9971D8.jpeg
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
66vairguy

Re: Backup switch

Post by 66vairguy »

my65 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:21 pm 8A4B1CEE-6D6E-44CC-BAFE-5AB835C798D9.jpegI am putting my 66 Corsa back together and when I connected the wiring harnesses, the heater fuse opened up. The wire coming from the fuse block to the harness was disconnected and was found to be shorted. The heater resistor was disconnected and had no improvement. When the wires were removed from the transmission’s backup switch, the short was cleared!! I tested the switch and found a dead short between the connections and the switches body. When I looked at Clark’s part C5365, it shows round, not blade style terminals!?!? I can only see a partial number between terminals 521A. Any ideas where I can buy one???
I've never seen the switch you are showing.

The 66-69 switches are different vs. the 1965 style. The 1966 style has two round pins. I bought the Clark's reproduced switch and when I pushed on the wiring harness connector it BROKE off one of the connector fragile pins! Typical off shore junk repro. This was years ago and a small company on ebay sold an alternative. They made an adapter combined with a modern OEM switch that fit the Corvair 1966-69 manual transmissions (I can't find it anymore). I bought two and so far they working great on both my 66 cars. Wish I had bought more.

There are two issues with these back up switches. One is the oil seal fails. The other, and more common, is they get HOT from the amperage the back up lights use. The heat ruins the switch and it's seal. Install LED backup light bulbs and the lower amperage will make the switch last longer.
my65

Post by my65 »

Thanks for your response! Did you write down any info from your switches?? The only info I can see is the partial number between terminals. The PO cut off the daul plug for the round terminals and attached individual spade type connectors.
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

when I was rebuilding my Corsa I discovered that my '66 4-speed had a '65 backup switch installed. It didn't work. I got the correct switch from Clarks C5365 and the correct harness from the Corvair Ranch. Use a heat gun to soften up the harness before plugging it onto the switch. It's very hard rubber and the switch pins are fragile... You'll also need a steel detent ball - Clarks C4113.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

my65 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:53 pm Thanks for your response! Did you write down any info from your switches?? The only info I can see is the partial number between terminals. The PO cut off the daul plug for the round terminals and attached individual spade type connectors.
Here is a link to the switch with adapter Clark's sold at one time --- https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search ... arch=c9805

FiberFab also sold the switch, but they are out of business now. Unfortunately nobody know what modern switch was used and who made the adapter.
miles71

Post by miles71 »

My car does not have backup lights.
I would like to see a picture of where you mount the switch for a Manual Transmission.
My car is a 1963, 3-speed Manual.
Thanks
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

miles71 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:38 pm My car does not have backup lights.
I would like to see a picture of where you mount the switch for a Manual Transmission.
My car is a 1963, 3-speed Manual.
Thanks
I'd suggest starting a new post with the 63 model year in it. Not sure, but I've heard some of the manual transmission EM cars used a switch on the linkage, others had the switch mounted on the transmission.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The 3-speed manual transmission utilized a switch mounted on the linkage in the tunnel. The 4-speed manual transmission had the backup switch integrated in the transmission itself.
The 1961-65 Corvair 4-Speed Transmission Backup Light Switch (PN C9725). The backup light switch sticking out of the bottom of the 4-speed transmission is simply supposed to provide that "short" between the positive voltage source and the other wire, which feeds the voltage onward to the backup lights when the switch in the transmission is closed (transmission shifted to REVERSE). Sometimes the switch goes bad, or it gets damaged because it sticks down and can be struck if the car is driven over an object that hits the switch. Use the ohmmeter in your multimeter to check the two wires for electrical continuity when the transmission is shifted to REVERSE. There is also a nylon washer that seals the threaded end of the switch to the transmission. Occasionally more than one washer is left there, moving the switch too low so it fails to be closed when shifting to REVERSE.

This wire leads from the 4-Speed manual transmission Back-Up Lamp Switch. It should be connected to the wiring harness and turns on the backup lights when you shift the transmission to reverse. The wiring connector for this switch should be located in the underbody tunnel. According to the shop manual the 20 GA. wire color is B/LG (Black with Light-Green Stripe).
1961-65 Corvair 4-Speed Transmission Backup Light Switch
Clark's Corvair Parts Backup Light Switch
https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... N&page=84B

1965 Corvair - Four Speed Transmission Backing Lamp Assembly Diagram

1965 Corvair 3-speed Backup Light Switch

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
miles71

Post by miles71 »

Thanks bbodie52, that's exactly what I need. My 3spd seems to use a lever attached to the shifter, to hit the Backup light switch.
my65

Post by my65 »

Thanks for the input. I bought a new Clarks switch today and will hold on to my defective one to see if I can use a adapter?? If it works out, I will post.
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
Fernand73

Post by Fernand73 »

Hello everyone.
I have a problem with the reverse light switch. The old one or the original one, was blowing the fuses for me, it is certainly shorted. I bought a reproduction at clark's, unfortunately I broke it while tightening it, normal tightening seems to me?
Before breaking it, I was able to test the proper functioning out of the box. But in the box it did not work.
The old one seems to be worn at the end, the new one with no wear should logically work, I was careful not to leave the old seal. I noticed wear through the hole in the box where the contactor is put. My questions are: is there a coin in the box to change? Can we put this contactor outside on the linkage? If so do you know a tutorial that would explain this solution?
Thanks for your help
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Fernand73 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:20 am Hello everyone.
I have a problem with the reverse light switch. The old one or the original one, was blowing the fuses for me, it is certainly shorted. I bought a reproduction at clark's, unfortunately I broke it while tightening it, normal tightening seems to me?
Before breaking it, I was able to test the proper functioning out of the box. But in the box it did not work.
The old one seems to be worn at the end, the new one with no wear should logically work, I was careful not to leave the old seal. I noticed wear through the hole in the box where the contactor is put. My questions are: is there a coin in the box to change? Can we put this contactor outside on the linkage? If so do you know a tutorial that would explain this solution?
Thanks for your help
Fernand73 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:20 am Hello everyone.
Can't answer question without knowing what year of Corvair and what transmission type.
Fernand73

Post by Fernand73 »

Bonjour,
Oui, désolé pour le manque d'information.
Mon véhicule est de 1964, 110 HP, c'est une boite manuel à 4 vitesses.
commutateur
commutateur
Fernand73

Post by Fernand73 »

Bonjour
J'ai changé le contacteur, mais malheureusement, il reste allumé en permanence. J'ai l'impression qu'il y a un problème dans la boite.
Hors boite, il fonctionne très bien une légère pression, et le contacte se fait. Auriez vous une idée ? Peut on adapter le contacteur a l'extérieur de la boite. Auriez vous une photo d'une tel installation? Merci pour votre aide.
erco

Post by erco »

Try unscrewing it a little bit at a time to see if the switch opens and the lights go out. If that solves the problem, put a few large washers on the switch to stop it from going in too far.

Essayez de le dévisser un peu à la fois pour voir si l'interrupteur s'ouvre et les lumières s'éteignent. Si cela résout le problème, placez quelques grosses rondelles sur l'interrupteur pour l'empêcher d'aller trop loin.
Fernand73

Post by Fernand73 »

Bonjour
Oui je l'ai déjà fait, mais cela ne fonctionne pas correctement, car le contacteur ne tient plus qu' a 2 ou 3 filets.
Je crois que l'intérieur de la boite est bien usé, car lorsque je met le contacteur dans la boite, levier au point 0, je n'arrive pas a mettre la marche arrière, il y a quelque chose qui coince. Y a t il une pièce a l'intérieur de la boite qui est susceptible de s'user au contacte du contacteur? Me faut il sortir toute la boite, ou peut elle être changer depuis l'arrière de la boite?
En manipulant la boite 1er, 2eme marche arrière etc.. en regardant a travers l'emplacement du contacteur j'ai l'impression que rien ne bouge ce qui fermer le contacte?

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”