Remotley Evaluating Engine Condition 1964 Spyder Purchase

All Models and Years
SpiderMan

Remotley Evaluating Engine Condition 1964 Spyder Purchase

Post by SpiderMan »

I plan to pay for and transport a nice 1964 Spider coupe this spring. I have a deposit down on the car. At this point it is inaccessible as it is stored in a car carrier behind a very large snow bank. I don't want it until spring anyway. The car is ~ 1350 miles away from me.
The exterior and interior are verified in good to excellent condition. The seller says the engine leaks oil (corvair newsflash). That's fixable and doesn't bother me as much as the total condition of the engine. The asking price is about right for this car assuming the engine doesn't need a rebuild. The odometer stopped working at 64K miles (like most spyder odometers do). The seller assures me it is not far off.
At that distance, the cheapest option for getting it to me would be to hire a transport. Driving it is too risky. I could damage something in my desperation to get home for example. I don't want to afford an airline ticket back and forth just to inspect it.
Would you recommend a few things to be done by the seller or maybe a local third party (Minnesota-any takers?) to verify the engine is solid, perhaps a compression check and oil pressure check?
Anything else?

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”