Help decoding Body Tag

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
65CorsaJohn

Help decoding Body Tag

Post by 65CorsaJohn »

Hi, I just acquired a 65 Corsa. I can't quite figure out the body tag interior colors. Right now the seats look white as are the door panels. the dash, carpet, and doors are black. but I'm not sure that's what they should be.
20230206_152043.jpg
gbullman

Re: Help decoding Body Tag

Post by gbullman »

Here are some sites that will help you decode your body tag;

RPO's (Factory Options) = https://www.corvairkid.com/65-67rpocode.htm

Paint Codes = https://www.corvaircorsa.com/pntcpc65.html

Trim Codes (for 66 but would expect 65 to be same or similar) = https://www.corvairkid.com/66codes.htm

This document from GM Heritage Site has all info in 1 place but you have to page through a lot of info to get what you want;

https://www.gm.com/content/dam/company/ ... orvair.pdf

So my decoding is;

Built 4th week of Dec 1964 (12D) but 65 model year
2 Door Corsa Coupe (10737), built at Willow Run (WRN), 4877th Corsa Convertible built for 65
Fawn Interior (773)
Regal Red Exterior (R-R)
Options Group 1
Tinted Glass Windshield and Sides (E)
Group 2
4-Speed (L)
Rear Antenna (S)
Group 3
Padded Dash (C)
Group 5
Deluxe Front Seat Belts with Retractors (W)

The F on the top line is interior color, I can't find a listing but based on interior trim I'm guessing that is Fawn as well.

And that is the most complex set of options I've ever tried so may be off on some of those but think I have them correct.

Hope this helps.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Just reread your post. Sometimes pictures of the body tag are hard to read (I know that is the case with my body tag).

So if what I'm interpreting as an F up top is actually an E and the Trim number I'm interpreting as 773 is actually 713 then it would have originally had a black interior.

I'm getting the trim info from;

https://www.tpocr.com/chevybp5.html

Like I said before I don't know a source of possible values for the lone letter up top (F). for 65. The 66 specific site I gave above has the list for my year, kind of assuming they didn't change (but can see that trim number codes did. That single letter I believe is what the interior of the body was painted before the trim was put on.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Here is a link to download the 62-66 decode information. http://stock.corvair.org/2022/01/david- ... vair-gold/

I think Gbullman's original read for 773 is correct. It would be a fawn interior. The fawn interiors for the two doors were not popular in 65. A number of RED cars were made up for the dealers with fawn interiors to use up the material.

Since the white and black interiors were not available in RED cars, fawn was the often used lighter color, especially for the south or west.

Over the years changing an interior to black has been popular as it's easier to do.
65CorsaJohn

Post by 65CorsaJohn »

HI
Thanks for the replies. It is an F and a 773. I was gonna restore to original, but I don't think I want it Fawn. I am going to paint the body back to the Regal Red. I'm thinking red on the doors with white panels. White seats, red dash and red carpet. And silver paint on the instrument and glove box. how does that sound? I couldn't figure out what the 773 stood for. Still am not 100% clear on that one.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

65CorsaJohn wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:57 pm HI
Thanks for the replies. It is an F and a 773. I was gonna restore to original, but I don't think I want it Fawn. I am going to paint the body back to the Regal Red. I'm thinking red on the doors with white panels. White seats, red dash and red carpet. And silver paint on the instrument and glove box. how does that sound? I couldn't figure out what the 773 stood for. Still am not 100% clear on that one.
The "Corvair Gold" PDF file is a little confusing, but on page 13 - Trim, it says 1965 with bucket seats "773 = Lt. Fawn Imitation Leather". The dash and door frames were painted different colors depending on the body color.

Nothing wrong with a white and red interior if that's what you want. I think it was available on some EM models. Just keep in mind color can affect re-sale value if you plan to sell the car.
65CorsaJohn

Post by 65CorsaJohn »

Hi
Well It may be sold someday, but I just don't think I'd like fawn interior. Not really doing this as an investment per say. I need to find a car with fawn interior and check it out I guess.
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

65CorsaJohn wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:04 pm Hi
Well It may be sold someday, but I just don't think I'd like fawn interior. Not really doing this as an investment per say. I need to find a car with fawn interior and check it out I guess.
Just my opinion but I think most Corvair owners have their Corvairs to drive, not that many trailer queens. So the condition of the car, if you were to sell it, is going to be a bigger factor in value than how original it is. I’m more in the finish the car how like it and have fun with it camp than the caretaker of history camp but that is just me.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

gbullman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:03 am
65CorsaJohn wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:04 pm Hi
Just my opinion but I think most Corvair owners have their Corvairs to drive, not that many trailer queens. So the condition of the car, if you were to sell it, is going to be a bigger factor in value than how original it is. I’m more in the finish the car how like it and have fun with it camp than the caretaker of history camp but that is just me.
How true --- Most liked the light fawn seats in my 4 door, but NOT the gold door frames and kind of a funky brown gold dash color. Since I'm in the West were it gets hot, I redid the seats in fawn and the rest of the interior in black. Like a black and white, but black and fawn. Usually folks like it and only one "character" said "They never produced that combo".

With a red car the interior color choices are limited to either red, black, or fawn on the LM, but as I said I've seen EM cars with read and white interiors and they look fine. Basically do what you like, but of course keep in mind some color combos will make a car very hard to sell.
65CorsaJohn

Post by 65CorsaJohn »

At this time nothing is written is stone. I have a lot of body work to do first. But I still think I like the red and white. I have a VW that was red with white interior. Looked good when it was new. So many choices here. :tongue:
65CorsaJohn

Post by 65CorsaJohn »

324856915_2516350095184143_450950333150771886_n.jpg
I was thinking this mess was dirty white, but now I'm thinking it might be fawn. what do you all think?

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”