'62 Monza convertible "Ralphie"

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Dennis66

Re: '62 Monza convertible "Ralphie"

Post by Dennis66 »

I've had a lot of "non Corvair" stuff going on the last few weeks. Got a few piddly things done here and there, but haven't made any pictures - will update that this weekend. I thought I was going to be able to put oil in it and prime the system in preparation for a start up. Found out my oil filter didn't fit. My engine has an adapter allowing a spin on filter. The filter that came with everything was not only too long (hits the mount bracket before it can slip over the threads), it turned out to be the wrong threads. I finally got the correct filter, an STP S2870A, but haven't filled it or installed it yet. Took quite a bit of measuring and online comparison before taking the adapter to the store for a physical fit. I also placed an order with Clark's.
In anticipation of an engine installation, I started working on the sheet metal for the perimeter seals (on order from Clark's). The early models have the sheet metal, rubber strips (seals), and a sheet metal retainer channel that is "stapled" to the side tins. Mine came without the seals or channels. I salvaged channels from one of the parts engines I had purchased, but they were pretty mangled. Tonight I started straightening them using an anvil and a square shanked punch and hammer. Still some work to do, but shaping up.
mangled retainer
mangled retainer
Kind of straightened
Kind of straightened
BTW. You late model owners have it made. Dennis
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

It is the little stuff done right that makes a difference, at least to me. It will be nice when finished.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

And now "the rest of the news"
Clark's order
Clark's order
The Clark's order arrived today. I've seen some complain about Clark's. I had a good experience and I'm very pleased. The stuff even came with instructions. The Uni Syn gauge was not part of the order. That was a Facebook Marketplace score I picked up last weekend.
Valve covers
Valve covers
I had picked the nastiest pair of valve covers I had to make "adjustment covers". I first used a bare head to position the pilot holes (missed one), then opened up the holes to fit a 5/8 socket. When I cleaned them up, there were several pin holes rusted through the bottoms. Welding pinholes in sheet metal isn't fun. In retrospect, If I'd cleaned them first, I could have drilled the holes with the other side down and the pin holes wouldn't have mattered. Murphy rules. They don't have to be pretty, just catch oil.
voltage regulator
voltage regulator
Finally, I made a mount and installed the voltage regulator. The alternator VR mounts differently than the Generator VR, so a bracket was needed. Note that the VRs mount on rubber vibration cushions, so I used the ones from the old regulator. The regulator will also have to have a ground wire, I'll add this when I hook up the pigtail. Dennis
Project65

Post by Project65 »

:coolphotos:

Looking excellent Dennis! I like your fabrication of the VR mount, and the other repairs also. You have some great DIY skills! By the way, your engine is looking great! :clap:
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Thanks. Didn't post it, but late last weekend (most of the weekend was spent replacing rear suspension bushings in my Subaru Baja) I installed the oil filter, put oil in it, and used a cordless drill and modified screwdriver shank to pressurize the oil system. Got about 45 PSI. I was watching the one side to make sure it was oiling up through the push rods (it was), but the other side had already pumped a couple of ounces out (onto the big sheet of cardboard I had under it). Hopefully this weekend I can do a crank up and adjust the valves.
I also received the '63 PCV system. It's unique to the '63, late '62, and maybe '63 and up FC trucks. Might actually get the engine back in soon. Dennis
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

After a ton of delays, I finally got around to running the engine. I thought I would get to this last weekend, but got worried about the slop in the throttle shafts. I swapped the throttle shafts out from my "parts carburetors" (broken cluster screws). There is a little less slop now. Then the fuel pump, which I once had kind of pumping, wouldn't pump (it's only been sitting for 18 years). I swapped out the pump body for my Clark's by-pass body and an electric pump. Got it cranked and after some fiddling finally got it to idle. The timing is way off, and I will have to reposition the distributor. I also realized that while I have the vacuum advance unplugged, I forgot to plug the end of the hose. Good news is it runs, has good oil pressure, and so far the valves all sound fine. I will still get it running better and do a correct "running valve adjustment". Hope this video comes through. (it didn't :banghead:, been fighting with it all morning)
Engine video.zip
(57.11 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Congratulations.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

And as of Saturday afternoon the engine is back in the car! I know there is a lot of talk about removing and installing the "power pack" (engine / transaxle assembly) as a unit. I will admit that if you have the correct jack or a Power Pack cradle, it probably is. For me, well, I'm kind of stubborn. It's also been since 1974 when I last did an engine only R&R on an early model. I did an R&R on a Greenbrier about 12 year ago, but FCs are a different critter. Last time I did an EM, I had the back of the car on jack stands. This time I had it on drive on ramps (and chocked). Difference is stands let the swing arms hang down and give you a little more drop on the differential. The ramps didn't. I ended up removing the rear mount ,fuel pump, and alternator to clear everything. I still had to slightly raise the back with a pair of scissor jacks (just raise about 1'', not support or lift whole car). If I had it to do over, I would have used jack stands.
Still have a ton of things to hook up, still have to sand blast the side and front tins and install the seal strips, but progress is being made.
Engine is in.jpg
Project65

Post by Project65 »

That’s terrific! Congratulations. It looks much better than the nylon strap! :clap:
John
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

There are several different approaches to this job. With my first engine rebuild I just adjusted the valves with the engine shut down. I adjusted each rocker as described in the shop manual, feeling zero clearance with my fingers moving the push rod, and then adding one turn (I used ½ turn) further to "center" the hydraulic lifter piston. There was another time I did it with no valve covers at all and with the engine running! A large drip pan on the floor caught all of the drippings. It was messy but I worked fast and didn't spill too much oil! :nono: ::-):

:think: :idea:
jimdespres wrote: » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:36 pm

I just got done with replacing tube seals and doing a hot valve adjustment with the engine running. I didn't have a half valve cover to catch the oil so I went to the grocery store where I bought A 15" long aluminum baking pan and fashioned the half head myself with a pair of scissors, a hammer to flatten the rolled edge of the pan, and a 1/4" drill bit to make the holes to attach it to the head. I can't believe how good it worked! It dripped maybe one or two drops and contained all the splash from the valves within the half cover. It took only 10 minutes to make and made for a clean job. Anyone can tell me how to ad a picture ot it here I'll put it in.
Valve Adjust Custom ½ Valve Covers or See-Thru Design
Valve Adjust Custom ½ Valve Covers or See-Thru Design
:tongue: Using expensive Otto cast aluminum valve covers to create a half valve cover for adjusting valves is not really recommended, since a pair of these (with polished fins) has a cost of $243.90! :doh:

As with adjusting the timing, you can perform a "Static" adjustment, as described in the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual, page ENGINE MECHANICAL 6-22.

Adjusting the Corvair Valve Rockers (Static Adjustment)
Adjusting the Corvair Valve Rockers (Static Adjustment)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Thanks Brad. Actually, I had done a static adjustment, rolled it over twice to re-check and re-adjust. Did the running adjustment and there was no clattering. I actually backed a few of them off by about a half turn (backed them out until the clicked counted turns, waited a few seconds, tightehed until they stopped and went about 1/3 turn. I'm happy with them.
This was the rattiest of 4 sets of covers I had. Dennis
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Glad it is coming along. Sure is nicer to work on a clean engine in a clean engine compartment.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

DROVE IT TODAY. After a lot of fiddling and some corrections, I finally moved it under it's own power today. It has been one year and one day since I trailered it home. There have been a ton of delays, but finally VICTORY. It's temporarily running gravity feed from a half gallon mower gas tank, and at first it was running like crap. I swapped out the points distributor for my distributor with the Crane 700 electronic system, and it ran a little better. Still a lot of bugs to work out. The accelerator pumps in the carbs barely work (they've only been sitting for 18 years). I soaked the cups in brake fluid to soften them up and got a little bit of stream when pumped. Viton cups will be my next order. I have the alternator wired up, it's charging, but the light stays on :think:. Originally it wasn't charging and the light wasn't coming on. Then I realized I hadn't grounded the regulator. Added a ground and the light came on and it's charging now, but the light stays on. Have to figure that part out. Fairly certain I have all the wires hooked up correctly - 4 heavy gauge going to the junction block (alternator, regulator #3, body, battery), blue wire going to blue on regulator (#1?), brown wire going to correct place on body plug (brown), and white wire going to #2 terminal (don't remember exactly what color that one is. The timing is pretty far advanced, but I have no idea what the idle speed is, that will all get sorted out when I get the cups and go through the carbs again. While I don't think the balancer is slipped, it is wobbling a little and I don't like that. I looked at the other balancer and it is in much better shape. I think it has already been rebuilt as it has 62 64 stamped on both the outer ring and the center hub. The cushion looks great (don't know why I decided to put this n on other than the other was buried in my attic. I just pulled most of the stash down preparing for a "Corvair Surplus Sale" when I determine what all I won't need.
Driving it.jpg
one year later.jpg
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Congratulations. After I redo the suspension and drivetrain I make a number of small drives to find and fix the little stuff.

I got my Viton (blue) accelerator cups from California Corvair. So far so good.
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Congratulations Dennis! Great work over the last year to get it back on the road. The 3rd time (in this case Dennis #3) is a charm.

Bet the maiden voyage was a thrill with the top down!
John
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Thanks guys. I now have to make a list of priorities for the "fine tuning". I ordered a pair of Viton accelerator cups from California Corvairs first thing this morning. I have a big list of non-Corvair stuff for the weekend, but at least another crank and run may be on the list. I want to hook a vacuum gauge to the balance tube and compare between each carb and manifold vacuum. I also still have some spot blasting to do. I posted a picture and brief story on the facebook group (I steer a lot of FB people over here where they can get "qualified" help). My post there is already about 300 like or comments. The car is sexy. Dennis

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”