Retrieving lost part from within engine

Need to know how? Want to show how?
mamarine81

Retrieving lost part from within engine

Post by mamarine81 »

So, because I'm an idiot I dropped a part through my cooling fan and into the engine shroud. My question is this: What's the easiest way to retrieve a part lost inside the engine shroud? I'm thinking my options are to remove either the top or bottom shrouds from the engine. Should I just remove the lower shrouds and see if I can get the part before undoing all the fittings to get the top shroud off? I'd like to avoid removing the top shroud if possible (for obvious reasons). Thanks in advance.

-Chris
'63 Monza Spyder Turbo
terribleted

Re: Retrieving lost part from within engine

Post by terribleted »

what did you drop? It is unlikely that anything of any size would fall through where it could be removed from under the engine. The passages between the top of the engine and the bottom are generally quite small. It is more likely that whatever it is is sitting on top of the cylinders so removal would require removing the fan shroud to get access. There are no moving parts under the fan shroud except the fan, so a small item dropped in there is not likely to cause any real issue. If you have removed the shroud in the past to clean out the nuts and rodent nests etc., you can possibly just leave the item. depending on what it is. Can it melt? If you have never removed the fan shroud and it has been installed for a very long time, you should likely remove it just to clean in there and you can retrieve your item while you are there.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
mamarine81

Post by mamarine81 »

Thanks for the reply. I dropped the spring from the automatic choke. It's a fair good size, and I need it back anyway to make the automatic choke work. I have not ever removed the fan shroud since acquiring the car last may. I agree with you that I should pull it on general principle to clean out inside. I was thinking of replacing any gaskets I pull as well (e.g on the turbo pipe). I've already got a few of the lines and fittings undone, I just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks again.

:ty:
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

When someone asks me "What's the first thing I should do before I start removing XXXX off the engine?" I reply - "Put a towel over the fan shroud inlet to catch the parts you drop". It's saved me a lot of aggravation.

Of course after you work on a Corvair engine the FIRST thing you do before starting the engine? Remove the darn towel from the fan shroud -- LOL.
mamarine81

Post by mamarine81 »

Haha, fair enough. I usually put a magnetic bowl underneath where I'm working. I didn't this time and now I'm paying for it. :banghead:
mamarine81

Post by mamarine81 »

Update: The shroud is off and I've recovered the part. Now to spend the next couple weekends cleaning, degreasing, and replacing all the old (I think in some cases original) gaskets and hoses.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”