Harmonic Balancer

All Models and Years
my65

Harmonic Balancer

Post by my65 »

It was noticed at the H.O.T. Rally that my 110 hp does not have a harmonic balancer on the engine! I saw Dave Motor Head's video where he lowers the engine to change out a balancer and oil cooler. I do not want to do that "IF" the balancer can be changed out without disconnecting all the components required to lower the engine. Does anyone know how or if it can be done?? :dontknow:
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
Jerry Whitt

Re: Harmonic Balancer

Post by Jerry Whitt »

There is always more than one way to do things.

If you were to use a torch and cut away all of the sheet metal in the rear of the car, the harmonic balancer could be changed.

The more efficient way is to pull the oil filter, and lower the engine, then install a balancer. Be sure to check the threads in the crank shaft to make sure they are good. Adding red lock tight would be a good idea to prevent future loss.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The engine rear support bracket is the clearance issue, not the sheet metal.

At one time someone made a tool that would fit and pull the pulley or damper without dropping the engine.

Go on the corvaircenter forum and ask about the tool and someone should have the information.

DO NOT use Red loctite on the bolt threads or you'll never get it loose again. The bolt has a fine thread pitch and if torqued properly it will not come loose.

Good luck.
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Afraid there is a disagreement on the loctite. What happened to his original damper? Same thing happened to mine several times. With the red stuff, it will really help keep that bolt from coming out, which will solve the original problem.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Ed never said that he didn't have a pulley, just that he didn't have a harmonic balancer. So he probably doesn't have a bolt problem.

Also, ED, Clark's sells a short puller that works without dropping the motor. Page 7 of the TOOLs section. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=TOOLS-7
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Thanks for finding the tool Danny. I've never used it, but a few have commented on the Corvair Center forum that the tool does work.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I thought it would be useful to show some pictures and to provide a copy of the video procedure for removing and installing a harmonic balancer.

The basic shop manual procedure for removing the engine crankshaft pulley is shown below. However, the type of pulley and the model year may determine the amount of clearance you have behind and around the pulley and how much work you have to do to adjust the engine position so that the pulley can be removed. As shown in one of the illustrations below, there were a variety of rear engine mount brackets that were installed on different model year Corvairs. The basic early bracket provided adequate clearance for changing fan belts when using a standard steel pulley. However, the harmonic balancer and cast pulley used on later models were thicker and required more clearance. Other engine accessories such as air conditioning compressors and smog pumps added additional drive pulleys that also required more clearance. The procedure in the video below describes lowering the engine at the rear somewhat to provide good access for removing and installing a harmonic balancer. The tool shown at the bottom is offered by Clark's Corvair Parts and is small enough to allow removal of a harmonic balancer or cast pulley without lowering the engine. However, the flat design of the early (1963 and earlier) rear engine bracket will not allow for this tool to work without removal of the rear mount bracket.

Corvair Harmonic Balancer/Oil cooler Replacement.

Corvair Rear Engine Mount Brackets

Corvair Harmonic Balancer and Pulley Tool.jpg
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=TOOLS-7
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”