Insurance

Anything Corvair related
gnrand

Insurance

Post by gnrand »

I have found this classic car insurance company that has very reasonible rates and good service. I have my 65 Corsa and 68 convert insured with a combined stated value of $14000 (I am located in Ca.). I stated that the max miles/year for each is 6000.
Jeff
www.midwestclassicins.com
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
joe moore

Re: Insurance

Post by joe moore »

I HALF TO AGREE!!! JUST DID A PRE INSURANCE QUOTE ON THE RAMP AT 25000 WITH ONE HUNDRED THREE HUNDRED WITH 1600 MILES OF DRIVING FOR ONE YEAR 180.00 .CAN'T. WAIT TO TALK TO THE AGENT!! STILL NEED TO KNOW IF IT ALSO INCLUDES GLASS BECAUSE AS ANY FC OWNER KNOWS IT'S THE FRONT GLASS THAT COSTS. JOE

Sent from my IdeaTabS2109A-F using Corvair Forum mobile app
1962 rampside #3957
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

Nice! They will ask you for pictures of front, back, sides, engine and interior as well as where it will be stored. Good luck.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
joe moore

Post by joe moore »

TALKED TO THE AGENT TODAY. HE IS LICENSE TO SELL AUTO INSURANCE IN CALIFORNIA, ALSO I THOUGH WAS INTERESTING WAS THY DON'T CARE IF THE VEHICLE IS RUNNING AS LONG AS YOU TAKE PICTURES OF THE PROGRESS OF THE WORK.IN CALIFORNIA YOU CANNOT GET YOUR VEHICLE LICENSE OR YOUR TAGS WITHOUT INSURANCE. BUT MOST INSURANCE COMPANIES WANT A RUNNING VEHICLE SEE THE DILEMMA. JOE

1962 rampside #3957
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

As long as they offer great service after a loss then buy anywhere you can get the coverage you want.

I have four Corvairs with Hagerty and my driving fits within their guidlines. I have a perfect driving record and I'm not a teenager. Combined Agreed Value coverage of $40,000 costs me $36 per month.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

joe moore wrote:TALKED TO THE AGENT TODAY. HE IS LICENSE TO SELL AUTO INSURANCE IN CALIFORNIA, ALSO I THOUGH WAS INTERESTING WAS THY DON'T CARE IF THE VEHICLE IS RUNNING AS LONG AS YOU TAKE PICTURES OF THE PROGRESS OF THE WORK.IN CALIFORNIA YOU CANNOT GET YOUR VEHICLE LICENSE OR YOUR TAGS WITHOUT INSURANCE. BUT MOST INSURANCE COMPANIES WANT A RUNNING VEHICLE SEE THE DILEMMA. JOE

Hagerty is one exception as they DO insure vehicles that are undergoing repair or restoration. That was one of my requirements and yes I found most insurance companies will NOT insure a non-running vehicle. Also make sure your insurance covers the vehicle if it is at a shop for repair or restoration - some DO NOT.
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

I've insured vair and other cars with Hagerty and they're by far the most flexible.

My old State Farm classic insurance on the Rampside had a 1000 mile cap and there were no options. No other mileage options. No racing. Nothing.

The policy on my 69 Monza has no mileage cap... though they asked me where I would "generally" drive the car and how often... roughly. Very understanding.

Hagerty also knows that I'll be autocrossing my car. Seriously, they know what autocross is! They also understand that the car is being modified with go-fast goodies.

All very well priced, just like AZDave's policies, many times cheaper than liability.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

I whole heartedly recommend Hagerty for several reasons. I had a chance to see Hagerty service in action when a friend was rear ended by a texter...imagine that. His agreed value was 25,000 but the damage was 20,000 so they said "get 'er fixed". Hidden damage was found and the cost rose but Hagerty said 'get 'er fixed". They covered the entire bill and handled the other driver's insurance company. No hassles at all for my friend. I insure 3 cars with Hagerty with a combined agreed value of 70,000 for less than 400 dollars a year. Finally when I inquired if my then 18 year old G'son could drive one of my cars to take his GF to their prom Hagerty said "no problem, tell them to have a good time". Hagerty's policy is all inclusive and said if I felt he was a safe, responsible driver then they'd cover him.
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Great stories, Tommy!

Classic car owners don't trust just anybody with their cars. That goes for insurance companies AND family members. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I will not use Hagarty.

1) They REQUIRE that the vehicle be in a garage storage
2) They ""would also require that each licensed member in the household has their own daily driver vehicle to use for regular transportation."

So, the fact that I live in a house build during WWII with a TINY little "garage" that the corvair will not fit in (it has 18" wide work benches on one side) and the fact that my Wife and I commute together in one car precludes us from getting Hagarty coverage....

I'm sticking with AAA
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

SteveH wrote:I will not use Hagarty.

1) They REQUIRE that the vehicle be in a garage storage
2) They ""would also require that each licensed member in the household has their own daily driver vehicle to use for regular transportation."

I'm sticking with AAA
In Arizona, Hagerty will grant covereage without a locked garage (carports are very common here due to showbirds and trailer parks) but you can't just put it in the driveway either. The local Hagerty Agent was at a show awhile back and was announcing that option was available here. I don't know about other states. I assume the rates may be slightly higher for those folks too.

Not everyone will meet Hagert's requirements so it's good to have choices. It's easy to understand that if you have more drivers in the household than daily drivers that someone is going to take the classic out for groceries once too often. Not saying you would do that but obviously their underwriters know their business and human nature.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

was going to reply with a rebuttal, but realized it would serve no purpose... opinions vary
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I had my V8 vair at a show last weekend. A Hagerty rep was at the show. In a casual conversation he asked who handled my Insurance and I responded Hagerty. A little while later he stopped back by to tell me to call Hagerty and give them my list of changes made to the car. It was a stock running driving car when I did the insurance. I talked with them and provided pictures of the V8 conversion. We raised the agreed to price. It did not change my annual insurance bill. The Corvair is still $14 a year, the 64 Caddy is $42 a year and the hot rod is $250 a year. Just about the most fair insurance involvement I have ever had

Return to “Corvair Talk”