Crown Intake, what carbs can I use or?

All Models and Years
eticket

Crown Intake, what carbs can I use or?

Post by eticket »

I am attaching some pictures of the intake I have on my buggy. The engine will semi run with the Webbers. Yes I could get the webbers rebuilt, and I am sure they would be great, but from what I can tell they belong on an early Porsche. So what kind of options do I have for carbs, or a different intake. From what I have read, I really need to run 1 carb on both sides, as it sounds like there is some issues of running a single carb, with the long tube. So who's intake would you recommend, or is this intake set up for these heads, and there is nothing I can really do short of changing the heads?

Thanks,
Mike
Attachments
cor (4).JPG
cor (5).JPG
cor (8.jpg
cor (3).jpg
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Crown Intake, what carbs can I use or?

Post by UNSAFE »

Wait -- those Webers are likely the best carb that you can get !

Contrary to what people without Webers might tell you about them being finicky they are not so.

They are a precision instrument and about the only problem you might have is water or dirt in them .

You need a pressure regulator set to under 4#s and linkage balance in crucial .

They are almost infinitely adjustable and you can even change the cfm .

They are worth about 1000$ even in good used condition .

Those manifolds are individual runner ( IR ) and a single carb on each side would defeat the purpose .

You could have a 6 into one manifold made and run a single 4 barrel . I'd buy you a brand new Holley in trade for those ugly Webers :cool:

KEEP THEM :burnout: :burnout:
motor9.jpg
motor9.jpg (12.55 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Here's my car with Webers ---

Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
plbooth

Post by plbooth »

Why in the world would you want to get rid of the webers which are easily the best most useful carbs and mounts for the vair engines?

take it to someone who can balance the carbs correctly and make sure you have a good airfilter system that flows but keeps the dirt out and those webers will perform like champs
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The custom manifolds are no longer offered by Clark's and are difficult to find. The carburetors are among the best in the world and relatively expensive (used in the past on Porsche 911, Italian race and performance cars, etc.)

You might want to purchase and read some books onthe carburetors...

:link: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Carburetors ... arburetors

:link: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Carburetors ... arburetors

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=OTTO-23

:clap: :not worthy: They are definitely an "E-Ticket" ride on a big valve 140 hp Corvair cylinder head! ::-): :evil:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”