ignition point\spark plugs

All Models and Years
dutchair

Re: ignition point\spark plugs

Post by dutchair »

WP_20151012_001.jpg
WP_20151012_002.jpg
the problem with the starter has been fixed, so i'm able to start and drive my corvair again.

I found last week another "problem" with the speedometer, it seems that the odometer does'nt work.
So the panning is removing the gauges out of the dashboard but has somebody experience with removing the gauges ?
Can I just remove the 4 screws and the shifthandle to take the gaugepanel out of the dashboard ?

If someone knows how to do this the proper way, please let me know. :tu:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL (attached) addresses removal and installation of the instrument panel starting on page 12-10. I have also attached a copy of the section from the 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - INSTRUMENT PANEL that describes the instrument panel installation.

The odometer is driven by an internal gear assembly that may be worn out, possibly due to a lack of lubrication from aging grease. A speedometer shop may or may not be able to repair this. Alternately, you could try buying a used speedometer on eBay or from a source like the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. I have attached a CORSA magazine article that describes a similar problem and repair on a Corsa gauge, but you might find it to be informative even though you have a Monza instrument panel.

If you do buy a used replacement speedometer that is fully functional, it might be a good idea to send it to a speedometer repair shop before installing it to have it inspected, serviced and lubricated (after all, it is about fifty years old!)

If you need replacement components, I would suggest contacting the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. They have been providing Corvair owners with good used parts for many years and they have a large inventory. They will know what questions to ask to ensure that you get the correct parts.

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: (717) 624-2805
Fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine
​Email: corvairranch@embarqmail.com
Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12
or contact us for an appointment.

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
(6.99 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - INSTRUMENT PANEL.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - INSTRUMENT PANEL
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Corsa Speedometer Overhaul - CORSA Communique May 2012.PDF
Corsa Speedometer Overhaul - CORSA Communique May 2012
(719.1 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

thanks for the link brad, i've just send a email to the corvairranch.

hopefully they can help me on a speedometer.

gr, dutchair
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The speedometers are almost always have dried out lubricant. The LM Monza speedometer used a plastic drive off the main worm gear. A good thing as the plastic usually fails before damaging the main worm WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE! On a Corsa they used a metal shaft and when it goes the entire drive section is worn out.

When you get the speedometer remvoe check the bushing were the cable goes in. If it wobbles side to side, get a good used speedometer.

ONLY a professional shop that still works on mechanical speedometers can dismantle and fix a speedometer and calibrate it. There is one thing the amateur can do. If a speedometer works well then place the end where the speedometer cable screws in into a small container (spray can plastic cap) filled ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and lift it out every couple hours and rotate the input. After a day the ATF will soak into the brass bushing. This is a way to extend it's life without replacing it. The bushings were never sold by GM, they only sold sub-assemblies. Some of the old speedometer shops had bushings and shafts, but that was decades ago.

BTW - Some of the Corvairs shipped to Europe did have speedometers in KPH, but those speedometers are very difficult to find now.
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

WP_20151022_015.jpg
started this week with removing the interior of my corvair.

I'm not gonna drive it before the winter so i began with cleaning up the floor. (removing old paint and rust)
I'm glad that i did'nt find any rustholes, so welding is'nt needed on the floor, it lookjs so far that it's just a matter of cleaning up\removing rust and give it a good paintjob.

The planning is to make the car this winter ready for a respray (in the Original color tuxedo black) but thats gonna take some time
Attachments
WP_20151022_016.jpg
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

WP_20151103_003.jpg
WP_20151103_002.jpg
i've painted the floor panels of my corvair, so it won't rust anymore (i'll hope :pray: )

Next thing to do is removing the doorpanels and hinges, the planning is to sand the body, repairing some small scratches and dents and when it's done spray the car in epoxy primer.
that brings me to my next question, how can i remove the doorpanels and hinges without damaging it ?

:ty:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The 1966 Fisher Body Service Manual is somewhat generic in nature, but GM automobile bodies were all basically assembled in the same way. When appropriate, Corvair-specific body details are addressed separately. The entire manual (in Adobe Reader.pdf format) is too large to attach to a posting on the Corvair Forum, as the website software will not allow it.

I broke the section that covers doors down into four "bite sized" segments and attached them below. The first section will probably answer your questions regarding the removal of armrests, door hardware, door panels, etc.
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 1 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 1 of 4
(6.71 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4
(9.83 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 3 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 3 of 4
(6.52 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 4 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 4 of 4
(9.68 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
The entire manual can be downloaded for free using the links below...

Having the proper reference materials – including the factory shop manual – is important. You can download all of these references at no cost onto your computer in Adobe Reader format from the links below. You can then read through the procedures and print the appropriate pages that you will need to refer to as you go through the procedure on your Corvair. Of course, you can also purchase hard copies of the shop manual from Clark's Corvair Parts or other sources. I hope you will find some useful references at these websites to add to your personal technical library.

Free Downloadable Corvair Shop Manuals, Parts Manuals, Service Manuals, etc.

Corvair Tech Pages Index
:link: http://1969corvair.com/techpages/Corvai ... Index.html

Free Early Model Corvair Shop Manual & Other Useful Manuals
:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/manuals.php

Adobe Reader - Free Utility for viewing files in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format...

If you don't have this free application installed on your PC, you can download it here:
:link: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

There are special tools that are sometimes needed for working on interior and upholstered items. Many of these tools are listed on the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog, beginning with the page shown below. Some of these tools can also be found locally in some auto parts stores.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=TOOLS-1
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

thank for the link Brad Bodie,

very usefull

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”