Electrical

All Models and Years
62'Brier

Electrical

Post by 62'Brier »

Hello forum,

I need any tips about why my van won't start, obviously electrical.
Starts up when the electrical expert jumps it with his box.
Would not start w/ jumpers from another car battery.

Is this the protocol: start it with jumper box again then detach the pos cable from battery and if it does it is the generator/regulator?

Thanks,
Craig

My post above hardly makes sense I noticed. My grammar syntax makes me seem like like some yahoo with limited English, my bad!

Update: I called out an car electrician from AAA and when he hooked up the jumper box it the ignition would turn "rrr rrr rrr rrr rrr" but never start like last time when it did so with the jumper box. We wanted to test the generator/regulator but he is betting that now I need to check out the starter. It's been sitting for at least 4 months. What say you?

I'm going to try and join a chapter of CORSA hopefully near Modesto CA and maybe someone would help if I buy them a burger and beer....

Anybody out there near Modesto who reads this PM me
Last edited by 62'Brier on Fri May 04, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a nice day...
62'Brier

Re: Electrical

Post by 62'Brier »

I meant when it's running, pull of POS cable and if the MOTOR DIES, it's the gen\reg

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Have a nice day...
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Never ever pull the positive cable from the battery while the engine is running!!!!!

With a generator system, this will cause a voltage regulator problem. With an alternator, possible blown diodes.

Proper procedure is to test with a volt meter for initial battery voltage. The battery will have 6 cells, each produces 2.2 volts. A battery fully charge would there for show 13.2 volts. If the initial voltage is about 12.7 or higher, the starter should be able to crank the engine.

If initial voltage is lower than about 12.5, the battery will need to be charged for a while.

Use a good quality battery charger with at least 40 amps available. (a trickle charger wont work) This test is called a 3 minute charge test. Attach a volt meter to the battery and charger and watch the voltage. Most charger will automatically range to higher voltage as the battery begins to charge. While watching for the first 3 minutes, the voltage should not go above 14.4 volts. If the voltage goes above this amount, the battery is sulfated.
The battery plates are made with lead peroxide. Sulfuric acid reacts with the peroxide, this releases electrons to do the various electrical work.
Sometimes, the lead plates are covered with a lead sulfate. If the sulfate gets too thick, reversing the chemical action is too difficult for the charging system to accomplish.

This means the battery should be replaced. (think about this, the charging system is designed to puts out about 14.4 volts. If the battery will not accept a charge at that electrical pressure, the system will not be able to charge the battery)

One common problem is battery cable clamp corrosion at the battery posts. Be sure both posts are really clean, and the inside of the cable clamp really clean. Some battery clamps have a tie down to the top of the clamp. These tie downs must be clean and tight, both positive and negative.

Let us know your initial battery voltage, We maybe able to guide you further.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Generator-based charging systems mandate a procedure for POLARIZING the charging system. This should be done whenever the battery has been disconnected...
bbodie52 wrote:If you have a generator-based charging system, this information applies...

CHARGING SYSTEM (GENERATOR TYPE ONLY)

Whenever the battery is disconnected from the vehicle for any reason the polarization procedure should be performed.

The recommendation on how to polarize a charging system is the following: After the installation of a battery, generator or voltage regulator follow these procedures. The terminals on the voltage regulator are labeled with letters and this is where you will do the polarizing procedure. Both of the components will have battery power so do not start the vehicle or turn on the ignition switch before polarizing them. You will need a small piece of wire fourteen or sixteen gauge with alligator clips on the ends. Find the "Batt" terminal on the regulator and attach one of the alligator clips, find the "Armature" terminal and touch the terminal with the other alligator clip. You can touch the terminals a few times and it will produce a soft light spark.

:nono: Under no circumstances touch the "Field" terminal or any other part of the regulator or you could damage the regulator.

:link: http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/vir ... 13475.html

What you want to do is polarize the generator. If in fact it ran with reverse polarity, everything should be fine after this process. You should not have damaged anything yet.

With key off, use a piece of 14 guage or larger wire to jump between the battery and armature terminals of the voltage regulator. I am at work without a shop manual, so I forget the actual writing on the terminals. BUT, it is the top and middle terminal on Corvairs (with the regulator mounted stock position, red wires on top terminal).

It will spark! Hold for 1 or 2 seconds. The wire may also get warm, be prepared.

Start engine again and check for red light going out.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO POLARIZE A NEW GENERATOR BY FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES IN THE CORVAIR SHOP MANUAL. THIS PROCEDURE IS DESCRIBED ON PAGE 8-18 OF THE ATTACHED SHOP MANUAL SECTION. This polarizing procedure applies ONLY to vehicles equipped with a GENERATOR. It does not apply to vehicles equipped with an alternator.

... Gospel According to General Motors, 1961 Chevrolet Corvair Passenger and Commercial Vehicle Shop Manual, ENGINE ELECTRICAL, Page 8-18
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”