4 1 barrel conversion for Monza 110hp

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Mcwho

4 1 barrel conversion for Monza 110hp

Post by Mcwho »

Has anyone done this conversion successfully? I see the kit at clarks and all i would need is two more 1 bbl carbs like the ones in there. Is there a 4barrel manifold out there for these cars?
1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
notched

Re: 4 1 barrel conversion for Monza 110hp

Post by notched »

You would be better off buying a set of 140 heads and the other hardware as the performance gains are more in the large valves, exhaust tubes and manifolds than adding secondaries to small valve heads.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Adding the extra carburetors was done BEFORE the 140HP engines were introduced in 1965. The 110HP and 140HP cams should be the same. So adding the 140HP heads used to be the most cost effective move. However now a good set of 140HP heads are getting scarce and they are notorious for dropping valve seats unless they are rebuilt with the deeper valve seats. Rebuilding heads by a "qualified" shop is usually $800.00 to $1,400.00 as set.

The 140HP engines also used a more durable nitrided crankshaft, but the standard 110HP engine crank is fine for "hobby" cars that usually don't see a lot of mileage.

I'd suggest buying some Corvair books which explains all the differences in detail. Join a club and find out who does good work, etc.

BTW - You didn't state what transmission you have. The 110HP engine is a fine unit and with the Powerglide automatic I think it's actually a better engine match vs. the 140HP engine. The books explain how the 140HP engine is DIFFERENT for the PG vs. the manual transmission cars.
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Thanks for your input, I have the 4 speed transmission, it was an optional upgrade, from the 3 speed, or powerglide on the 1965 year I believe.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

If you do decide to install 140HP heads you should also find a 140HP distributor that had a timing curve more suited to the large valve heads. You'll also need the four carburetor linkage. Roger Parent sells an aftermarket linkage that is very handsome. rlp11 on the Corvaircenter forum.

Note that the 140HP engines used a pressure plate that was heavier to give a better off the line response, not needed, but nice.

The costs start to accumulate. That said afour carburetor motor to sure is nice to display at a car show. Most of the performance difference will be noticed above 3,500 RPM.

Note the 1965 heads are one year only. The 66 - 69 heads function the same, but material was added and some bolt holes were larger to accommodate the optional air conditioning brackets (air conditioning was NOT available on 140HP engines in 1965).

Hope this helps.
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Thats Great info, thanks...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,29473
steve goodman wrote:Date: May 18, 2006 07:48PM

Hello all: I have done several of the 2 carb to 4 carb conversions through the years and probably reviews are mixed. The downside is that you still have small intake valves and small exhaust tubes even if you chose headers or a dual exhaust system. The larger valves and larger exhaust tubes on the 140hp is what gives it the extra ump after 3500rpm.

On the good side, you get good linkage with the Clarks kit, buy the air cleaner setup and it looks great when you pop the lid and yes you do get some more go off the line. Typically you need to work with the distributor and of course the exhaust system. Be very careful in bonding the adapter piece to the head, any tiny air bubble etc will be an air (vacuum) leak and will drive you crazy trying to find it later. Also a set of 90 degree plug wire boots are very handy to clean the left hand carbs. The choke rods are a bit sticky to bend, I made a pattern from coat hangers after the first install so the later ones don't make me work as long. Keeping the cutting of the various sheet metal pieces to a minimum is important too, a nice clean job looks like that, if you miss then there are gaps that look funny.

My last observation: since only 'knowing' Corvair owners would realize that there was a kit in place instead of just using the 140 heads, build at least a top end that uses the 140 heads to their advantage. 1965 cylinders and 140 heads on your 64 engine will fit perfectly, use a standard 140hp distributor and the factory exhaust system unless you want headers.

I realize there is some money differences here between using your original pieces and buying lots of parts. Budgets are often the deciding factor of course. If you chose the 110 conversion I think you would like it but not as much as a real 140hp. Good luck in your choice.

Best, Steve
See additional comments from others at the above link.

More Options and Ideas...

Finally, an all-new replacement distributor for the Corvair.

All-electronic High Energy ignition system included. Magnetic-pulse pickup triggers internal electronics. No ugly boxes in the engine compartment.
Has Vacuum advance and adjustable mechanical advance. Complete Ready-to-Run system – Self contained. Vacuum block-off plate included for competition. Uses easily available GM parts and aftermarket accessories. Update to any 12 volt coil or add a high performance Coil. Optional cap designs and color for HEI cap or OEM style well-type cap. New 12 Volt coils available in Red, Black or Blue or Chrome! Cap clears top shroud and fan belt pulleys. Check the Information below for Application guide! The Distributor sells for $200
:link: https://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=37

Part number C5037: EXTRACTORS-STRAIGHT-ALL EXC (140,TURBO * & VANS) INCLUDES PACKINGS & HANGERS

Weight: 32 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 37
Price: $ 375.00

:link: http://www.corvair.com/2013SPGFX/OTTO-18.jpg

Part number C8607: OTTO 4 X 1 CARB KIT-CHANGES 2 CARB* HEADS TO 4- AIR CLEANER KITS ARE REQUIRED

Weight: 6 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): OT-18
Price: $ 356.90

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=OTTO-20

Part number C8606: OTTO 4 X 1 AIR FILTER KITS-4"-(1)=PAIR** PROB!SPARE TIRE MUST MOVE TO TRUNK-OIL=C8683A

Notice: Review this part carefully for additional information or a possible "Problem".

Weight: 10 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 62,OT-20
Price: $ 236.40

:think: :idea: DEEP POCKETS VARIATION (No manifold modification, no extra carburetors (no carburetors at all!), no distributor change or upgrade (no distributor at all!), no mechanical automatic choke, modern sensor-based electronic fuel injection and computer-controlled electronic distributorless ignition.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=OTTO-31

Part number C13110: FUEL INJECTION KIT LESS AIR CLEANER ADPT 164 CI 1964 CARS (95,110HP)

Weight: 46 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): OT-31
Price: $ 1599.00

Deduct approximately $1200 for the intake manifold kit, linkage, extra carburetors, custom distributor, fuel lines, custom air cleaners, etc. that you would not need if you convert to an EFI/DIS system. I believe the maximum airflow expected through two fuel injection throttle bodies would be better than airflow through the Rochester H carburetors. Potential for better street performance, increased reliability, better fuel mileage, etc. would go to the EFI/DIS system.

I would vote for the EFI/DIS system, and plan to go that way with my own Corvair. The difference in total expected cost would only be a few hundred dollars more for the EFI /DIS system.

:link: http://www.corvair-efi.com/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

140 hp Heads...
Corvair 140 HP Cylinder Heads (2).JPG
Corvair 140 HP Cylinder Heads (3).JPG
Corvair 140 HP Cylinder Heads (4).JPG
110 hp Heads...

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I would suggest the Brown-EFI as well for your existing engine.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Man Brad those are purdy. I would love to see some heads that nice some time!!! Actually the one left 140 chamber is not awesome but overall...
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Introductions”