gas line fittings

All Models and Years
Me and Butch

gas line fittings

Post by Me and Butch »

I have ordered chrome gas lines for some of the final touches on a beautiful 1965 Turbo complete rebuild, is there a recommended sealant to apply to the fitting so I don't have to crank down on the fitting for no leaks and possibly breaking the chrome loose. I have read good reviews on the permatex aviation #3, thanks to all in advance.
1965 Corsa Convertible
1962 Rampside, world champion 1989 KC :tu:
64powerglide

Re: gas line fittings

Post by 64powerglide »

Teflon tape. :my02:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Me and Butch

Post by Me and Butch »

Is the white tape gas and oil reseistant ? :dontknow:
1965 Corsa Convertible
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Teflon tape is gas and oil resistant. Good stuff!
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... msg-764706

Scroll down to about the 10th post. I've never had much luck with tape/sealants on flare fittings. :my02:
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

Copper flare gaskets. Check Wagon Master" link posts 7 and 10
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Teflon tape? That only goes around the threads which is not where the lines and fittinngs really seal anyways. Besides you do not want any particles of the tape to accidentally get into the flow in the fuel lines. If you have problems with leaking already, use the correct copper gaskets. If you use care, your connections properly tightened, should remain dry. Just beware of the Clark's new "ready to install" fuel lines. Mine were not problem free, read my posts from this past summer. I know, the Clark's Corvair apologists, I can just hear them now.
1964 Monza convertible 110/PG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Me and Butch wrote:Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:14 pm

I have ordered chrome gas lines for some of the final touches on a beautiful 1965 Turbo complete rebuild, is there a recommended sealant to apply to the fitting so I don't have to crank down on the fitting for no leaks and possibly breaking the chrome loose. I have read good reviews on the permatex aviation #3, thanks to all in advance.
As previously mentioned, the flare tubing and fitting seal does not take place at the fitting threads. During assembly, a flare nut is used to secure the flared tubing's tapered end to the also tapered fitting, producing a pressure-resistant, leak-tight seal. The fluid seal takes place at the mating surface between the flared tubing and the female fitting (carburetor inlet, brake master cylinder inlet, etc.) If the fluid leaks past the tapered flared tubing mating surface, it will likely leak through the fitting connector hole that the tubing passes through, and sealing the threads will not prevent a leak.

A six-point socket usually gives a better grip on a bolt head than a 12-point socket.

When tightening a tubing fitting, a full socket tool is not possible, so substituting a flare nut wrench approximates a six-point socket grip to avoid damage to the fitting surfaces...

Here are a few options, including a unique wrench shown at the end...

The fuel line inlet fitting size on the carburetor inlet is 7/16".

A five-piece Craftsman set runs about $36.99..

:link: http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... a6EALw_wcB

These are a little cheaper at $12.11...

:link: http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2640-Flare ... nut+wrench

TEKTON 2640 Flare Nut Wrench Set, SAE, 3-Piece
by TEKTON
4 Stars — 362 customer reviews
azdave wrote:Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 am

I've had great luck with removing nasty brake line fittings by using a Vise Grips Brand 7LW. They also work well when someone before you has buggered up the hex nut.

These come in three sizes but I use the 7LW the most. Around $12-$15

:link: http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-Locking ... B00004SBBD

Flare Gasket, Flare Connection Type, 1/4" Tube Size, 10PK
:link: https://www.grainger.com/product/5WRW1? ... 13145741:s

Flare Gasket, Flare Connection Type, 1/4" Tube Size, 10PK is listed on the Grainger website for $8.11 / pkg. of 10. However, they estimate $10.48 for standard shipping! Total: $18.59!! Shipping Weight 0.04 lbs.

Available at other online sources...
:link: https://www.zoro.com/parker-flare-gaske ... lsrc=aw.ds

ebay :link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-2GF-4-Fl ... 1551024661

1/4" COPPER FLARE GASKET PK 10
PARKER| Zoro #: G1054602| Mfr #: 2GF-4
In Stock
Item ships from Zoro in 1 business day.
Qty: 1
Unit Price: $6.93
$6.93 Subtotal (1 item)

$5.00 Shipping

$0.00 Tax

$11.93

Here is some new technology flare tubing seals...
FLARETITE SEALS
Overview
Your Utimate Solution for eliminating leaks!

Evolving higher pressure and more demanding hydraulic systems expose the metal to metal flare fitting which makes it very difficult to obtain a permanent leak free flared fitting joint. Flared Fitting Leaks are most commonly caused by misalignment, surface damage and vibration in the field.

The entire seal is coated with a dry-to-the-touch, baked-on Loctite™ sealant. When inserted into a fitting, the concentric rings form multiple seals down the face of the flare, while the Loctite coating fills minor imperfections, dramatically increasing the integrity of the fitting. New ISO and NFPA standards strongly recommend seals for all fittings.

The sealing rings prevent environmental debris and aggressive cleaning solvents from attacking the sealing face while the Loctite™ protects the face from fretting, galling and over-tightening. And unlike ORFS fittings, the Flaretite Seal will not fail during a fire, allowing atomized hydraulic oil to fuel the fire.

Fit on all standard 37 °JIC/45° SAE flare fittings, hydraulic, pneumatic, fuel & all common refrigerants.
Helps protect against weeping on new and damaged fittings!
Creates a perfect "Leak-Free" clip-on seal!
Complies with the latest International standards!
Independently tested by Eaton’s Aeroquip hose & fittings division to one million high pressure square wave pulse cycles on badly scored JIC flared fitting faces without failure, this design, which easily installs by simply clipping over the male flare section, makes Flaretite Seals the single best choice “compliant seal” flared type fitting permanent leak free fix.

Having proven performance with some of the Worlds most difficult to seal flared fitting applications, Flaretite seals are available for use in Standard 37° JIC flared type hydraulic fittings, 37° JIC 316 stainless Marine fittings & work extremley well on 45° SAE brass fittings for refrigeration.

Flaretite’s headquarters is locted in Fenton, Michigan where they have been producing seals for 15 years. Form there the Flaretite seals are taken to market via Distributors such as Eaton-Aeroquip, Motion Industries, Johnstone Supply & Asada Corperation just to name a few. Flaretite Seals can also be purchased directly from Flaretite.

The Result
The Flaretite Seal is a permanent, "Leak-Free" connection, which exceeds the performance of today's ORFS fittings, and at significantly lower cost. Our seal maintains the low profile, versatility, and world-wide availability of flared fittings.

Flared connections fitted with Flaretite Seals are today's answer to low cost, high integrity, "Zero-Leak" fittings, while complying with new international standards. This unique seal may be fitted to JIC & SAE, hydraulic, pneumatic and gas fittings. The introduction of the Flaretite Seal eliminates the weakness in the original flare design. Flaretite's approach to the global market is to target sales to national distributors and OEM's worldwide. Sales offices are based in the USA.
:link: https://www.flaretite.com/flaretite-seal
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

NO SEALER. NO TEFLON TAPE!! Teflon tape is never used with a flare fitting, typically used for a pipe fitting. Teflon tape can get in the carburetor and will cause a lot of problems.

It is not unusual for new flare fitting to require seating. This is done by repeated tightening and lessening the flare nut until you get a good seat. DO NOT over tighten the fitting or you'll crack the flare. If all else fails the little copper flare seals others have posted work.

Those new chrome lines will look good.
chris

Post by chris »

Another tip I remember (though some may not like it) from the tech manuals is to use a Viton o-ring at the tip of the flare.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Me and Butch

Post by Me and Butch »

thanks to all for the great input and this forum, I will figure out how to post pics at some point, I have also added a world champion to my stable that me and butch did in KC 1989, welcome home my F.C.
1965 Corsa Convertible
Me and Butch

Post by Me and Butch »

PS

Brad your the best, hope to meet you some day !
1965 Corsa Convertible
'stitch'

Post by 'stitch' »

If you feel that you "Need" something on the threads...,NO Teflon tape! Few wraps (8-12) of dental floss will do it w/o disintigrating!
jetcat

Post by jetcat »

Another suggestion is lapping the flares. Koul Tools makes a awesome tool for doing this. Model# P45. Never had any leaks after getting this tool. https://koultools.com

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”