1964 rear axle bearing

All Models and Years
ossieoz

1964 rear axle bearing

Post by ossieoz »

Hi there, i’ve been trying to find out/google if there is some ’easy way’ to re-grease my 1964 rear axle bearing... i can’t find anything apart from a couple of sites mention ’remove c-clip’. I can’t find any info about this c-clip

Can these bearings be repacked without taking them off and out?

David

1961 Greenbrier, 1962 Rampside and 1964 Monza cab.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1964 rear axle bearing

Post by bbodie52 »

Corvair Rampside Rear Axle Bearing Packing Procedure

:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdHz-5X0RZg

Finally, the following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy:
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(661.15 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
ossieoz

Post by ossieoz »

Thanks, what Frank Duval wrote helps a lot :)

’’The 63 and 64 cars use a cast iron bearing housing instead of the two part stamped steel housing. Cleaning these properly without fully taking them apart is not a good idea, since you cannot see inside of them (my opinion, yours may vary). But, I have added grease to everyone of mine and my customers cars (back when I had a shop). Slide the axle out like Dave's video starts. Slide the slinger (dust shield) up the shaft. Pry off the aluminum dust shield that covers the backside of the bearing. Take a very small screwdriver, and without stabbing your handwinking smiley, pry out the rubber seal from the backside of the bearing. You cannot inspect anything, just remove what dried grease you can see, and then pack as much new wheel bearing grease as you can back into that bearing. Try to imagine you are pressing that grease all the way through the bearing.

Reinstall the rubber shield, dust shield and slinger. Reassemble axle to backing plate.’’

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

At the Corvaircenter forum there have been many discussion on the EM rear wheel bearings.
Things to keep in mind.

Some say the 64 cars had a shim between the bearing housing and backing plate - NOT CONFIRMED.

For years folks would just pull a bad axle and put in another used one. The riveted sheet metal housings were preferred since folks could re-grease them and sell as such. You'll see 60-62 axles in 63-64 cars. Some say they fit fine, other say you have to modify the 60-62 to fit - NOT CONFIRMED.

On the 60-62 sheet metal housing some have said they have found shims inside to set the bearing to race clearance - NOT CONFIRMED.

If you plan on keeping the vehicles you might consider an investment in the newer Clark's reproduction bearings. The newer reproduction bearings are suppose to be better. Clark's has already stated that the large investment for a minimum run means they may not reproduce the FC bearings again. Good used bearing are getting hard to find.
ossieoz

Post by ossieoz »

66vairguy wrote:At the Corvaircenter forum there have been many discussion on the EM rear wheel bearings.
Things to keep in mind.

Some say the 64 cars had a shim between the bearing housing and backing plate - NOT CONFIRMED.

For years folks would just pull a bad axle and put in another used one. The riveted sheet metal housings were preferred since folks could re-grease them and sell as such. You'll see 60-62 axles in 63-64 cars. Some say they fit fine, other say you have to modify the 60-62 to fit - NOT CONFIRMED.

On the 60-62 sheet metal housing some have said they have found shims inside to set the bearing to race clearance - NOT CONFIRMED.

If you plan on keeping the vehicles you might consider an investment in the newer Clark's reproduction bearings. The newer reproduction bearings are suppose to be better. Clark's has already stated that the large investment for a minimum run means they may not reproduce the FC bearings again. Good used bearing are getting hard to find.
Thanks for the info :)

Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

ossieoz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 am
Thanks, what Frank Duval wrote helps a lot :)

’’The 63 and 64 cars use a cast iron bearing housing instead of the two part stamped steel housing. Clenaing these properly without fully taking them apart is not a good idea, since you cannot see inside of them (my opinion, yours may vary).

If you take the inner snap ring off the 63-64 bearing housing, you can disassemble, inspect and regrease, ALMOST as far as the 60-62 sheet metal units. BTDT.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

If you pull the axles you will have to press the bearings off. It took a 40 ton press to remove mine. Clark's come with shims, the bearing retainer is a bear to get off & on. Just shim as needed. Shims go in first, use the right combination of shims so the snap ring fits snug. I would not recommend trying to re-grease the old ones, if they dried out they are probably worn & noisy. I got my new ones in & could not believe how quiet they were. My races were scored bad, you could see where they got hot. The're not cheap but well worth the money. They have to be pressed back on too. :my02:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
my65

Post by my65 »

While replacing the clutch, I decided to replace some gaskets and wheel cylinders. The right axle was missing the bolt that holds the yoke on and when I remove the dust / grease inboard seal, I found shims working their way out under the snap ring! The left axle does not have any shims ( that I can see )!! There are four shims for a total of .034 and a snap ring .080. Do I need to press off the bearing and put the shims in before the bearing goes into the cast housing?? Should the bearing be reusable if it is smooth now??
Attachments
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

If the bearings & races look smooth with no pits on the rollers or scored races you can probably use them. The shims go in the housing then the bearings. You can put the bearings in & figure out how many shims you need then take the bearing out a put the shims in, the snap ring groove should be even so the snap ring is snug. That's what I did anyway. "Clark's has a special grease for those bearings".
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

I have done 8 axles and if they are from the factory and have not been touched the shims will be on the inside of the bearing next to the cast housing and then the bearing on top. Just as Jeff described above. When I rebuild them I would put the shims on top to start and put in the snap ring to measure about .003 to.005 clearance, so it is easy to add additional shims if necessary, then take apart grease and put shims in first before reassembly.

As for the grease, I traced down the modern equivalent of grease and it specs to SHELL GADUS S2 V220.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”