Dolly towing a Corvair

Anything Corvair related
Ecklund

Dolly towing a Corvair

Post by Ecklund »

It turns out that towing a Corvair with a car dolly works out OK.

It was a little interesting getting the oil pan to clear the dolly center section. Looks a bit odd towing it backwards but eh.

So make sure you check the front wheels as they may not be tight. Ask how I know.

Also airing up the front tires to 'normal' capacity seems to help resist side sway. Again, trial and error.

The '63 700 has been reasonably stable up to and a bit over 60 mph. Could probably sustain higher speeds but not interested in testing the fates.

Dolly towing is certainly an option with a Corvair. Would prefer a trailer.
1964 Corvair 900 (969) four door with powerglide - new project
toytron

Re: Dolly towing a Corvair

Post by toytron »

Also when I worked for a junk yard when we towed a car backwards that didn't have a locking steering wheel we would loop a bungee strap around the wheel and then close the ends outside the drivers door after you pull them tight. It would help keep the wheel from wobbling because you are working against the negative caster built into the steering. If it is a real nice car I am sure you could find nicer ways to accomplish the same thing but that was the way we use to do it back in the day. I would only do this if I was backwards towing with only the front wheels on the ground. If you are flat towing I would not use this method. I am sure many people have done this without the bungee but I personally feel safer.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Ecklund

Post by Ecklund »

toytron wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 6:50 pm Also when I worked for a junk yard when we towed a car backwards that didn't have a locking steering wheel we would loop a bungee strap around the wheel and then close the ends outside the drivers door after you pull them tight. It would help keep the wheel from wobbling because you are working against the negative caster built into the steering. If it is a real nice car I am sure you could find nicer ways to accomplish the same thing but that was the way we use to do it back in the day. I would only do this if I was backwards towing with only the front wheels on the ground. If you are flat towing I would not use this method. I am sure many people have done this without the bungee but I personally feel safer.

Ed Stevenson
Agreed.

Tied off the steering wheel three separate points.

Would use a trailer if I did it again. Dolly was way too low speed.
Ecklund

Post by Ecklund »

Here's a couple of pics of the 'rig'.
Attachments
DSC_0204.JPG
DSC_0205.JPG
toytron

Post by toytron »

Happy towing! Nice looking 4 door. Clean looking.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
gaylon

Post by gaylon »

I believe that Chevrolet put out a Tech Tip Bulletin saying that Corvair should not be towed on a tow dolly.
I read this after I towed my 1966 Corsa from Cleveland to Westminster, MD.
Everytime, I got over 45 MPH the car would yawl left and right violently.
I thought I was going to make the 6PM News on WKRP!
I pulled over 4 or 5 times and tightened everything to no avail, finally I drove home from Cleveland at 40 MPH!
When I got home I reviewed my Chevy Tech Bulletins and found that I should have trailered the Corsa.
I would be careful and go slow, like 40MPH or lower!
Just saying......gm
toytron

Post by toytron »

There are many that tow their corvair with a dolly. You need to do it backwards though. I wrapped a strap (bungee) around the wheel twice and then placed the ends outside the door and then closed it. Works just fine.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
Trip

Post by Trip »

If any of you guys need a Corvair moved in my area I've got a trailer so send me a message. =)
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

FYI...

In Arizona (and probably most US states), if you tow a vehicle with any wheels touching the pavement, it has to be legally registered with current plates and insurance. Don't get caught and you're good.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
toytron

Post by toytron »

Never heard that one Dave. I towed one from Iowa to illinois and I got a thumbs up from a cop in town. I'm gonna hafta check that one out now.

Ok so I checked out a few states and read the illinois state legislature page. So it seems like the reasoning for there being to be only a registered vehicle on a tow dolly is because the tow dolly itself is usually not plated (tagged for those who prefer to use that term). However in illinois you do have the option to have yours registered and a plate installed on it. Now here is some more dirt on it.
If it has a plate it must be visible. If it weighs over a certain amount it must have brakes. And last but not least if it's tail lights cannot be seen then you must have lights placed on the vehicle being towed.
This might be the same for other states but you might want to check yours before pulling a car.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

People can do their own research but I've yet to find a state that legally allows any wheel of an unregistered vehicle to roll on public streets. I find much of the same advise on many RV websites (and those folks do a lot of dolly towing all over the US).

I don't tow with a dolly these days but back when I did I was pulled over had that info explained to me by a state trooper. Just figured I'd let others know and they can make their choice.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Many years ago in California I needed to tow an unregistered Corvair that I was restoring when my parents moved from San Jose (San Francisco Bay Area) to Thousand Oaks (Southern California). I was planning on towing the 1963 Corvair on the ground, using a bumper hitch only. I was able to get a temporary towing permit for a one-time journey. I would guess that California still has similar rules now. A brief search of the Internet revealed a similar process in Virginia, and I'm sure many other states also have unregistered vehicle towing permits available.
State of Virginia wrote:Standard Trip Permit

A standard trip permit allows the owner of any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer to move the vehicle from one location to another without registering the vehicle. Standard trip permits are valid for three consecutive days. The Virginia trip permit is valid only in Virginia. The customer must contact other state(s) if the travel route is outside of Virginia.

Motorized vehicles must be properly insured or the owner must pay 1/12 of the $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee. Non-motorized trailers are NOT required to be insured; however, they should be pulled by a properly insured vehicle. If the vehicle is designed as a property-carrying vehicle, it must be unladen while operating under the authority of the trip permit.

If you are the vehicle owner and want to move your unregistered vehicle, you are required to apply for a trip permit. You must supply the following information:

Point of origin and point of destination;
Dates of travel;
$5 permit fee;
Insurance certification or payment of 1/12 of the uninsured motor vehicle fee for motorized vehicles ONLY.

Prospective Purchaser's Trip Permit

A prospective purchaser's trip permit is available for Virginia residents who intend to purchase a vehicle that will be titled/registered in Virginia. These permits are valid for three days, beginning on the date of the purchase (as indicated on the bill of sale).

The original bill of sale must be attached to the permit to validate the permit, and the permit must be displayed in the vehicle window while the vehicle is operated under the permit. If the customer has not purchased the vehicle WITHIN 15 DAYS after printing the permit, he must purchase another permit.

If you are a prospective purchaser applying for a trip permit for a vehicle you intend to purchase within 15 days, you must supply the following information:

Make and year of vehicle and any known vehicle description,
original bill of sale,
Point of origin and point of destination,
$5 permit fee;
Insurance certification or payment of 1/12 of the uninsured motor vehicle fee for motorized vehicles ONLY.
:link: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/temp_permit.html

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

I am planning on towing a Crown conversion this weekend using a U Haul trailer. I have used a U Haul trailer before on a LM putting the car straight up and towing it from Kingman to So. Ca. If you go with a U Haul trailer. tell them you are towing a early model Camaro. A trailer is only slightly more in cost vs a dolly.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've towed many Corvairs backwards on my wheel lift. I always strapped the steering wheel. Never towed one that was registered.
I've never had any issues with stability and I tow up against my 67MPH governor. I do have magnetic towing lights.
One thing to be careful of is the clearance between the oil pan and the tow equipment. The suspension will move a lot and you can tear up the oil pan.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Monzair64

Post by Monzair64 »

Back in 1987 I towed a '64 Monza convertible from southern Oregon to southern California with its front wheels on the dolly, the rear wheels on pavement and the 3-speed tranny in neutral. I had no problems and it did not harm anything.

Fast forward (as they say) to this summer and the CORSA convention. Am thinking of dolly-towing the 'Vair (which now has a 4-speed) from central Ohio to Wisconsin Dells and back, of course. What are your thoughts?

--Tom in Ohio
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Well, it seems like dollying is doable but trailering is the best way.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:

Return to “Corvair Talk”