New to the forum

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
J-man

New to the forum

Post by J-man »

Hey everyone..

My names is Jamie, Im 29 and I live in Atl. I have always been interested in LM corvairs and I want to build a turbo coupe. I have done lots of research and it seems like the aftermarket isnt as nice to corvairs as it is to its other brothers. That being said, I love the layout and the aircooled flat six and hope to build a nice blow thru carb setup untill I can one day hopefully go efi turbo. Right now just wanna find a good starter to build on. I am an aircraft mechanic, but also went to Wyotech for paint and body with chassis fabrication and high performance engines. I love to do paint and body but oddly enough hate to start with rust buckets or cars that need extensive sheetmetal repair. I hope to learn many more things about these great cars and make some friends along the way.
65Ragtop

Re: New to the forum

Post by 65Ragtop »

Welcome Jamie. Sounds like you have the skills needed to put together a nice turbo car. Good bodys (little rust) are out there, patience is a virtue. The after market is out there for these cars too, it just takes some lookin' and often times some adapting to make stuff work. The best stuff is fabricated by the owner/builder though. Just my opinion. Great opportunity to get creative and apply some modern tech to a great "older" design. Lots of talented people around here that can assist with age old problems if you need it, no sense in re inventing the wheel, eh? Good luck. :chevy:
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

HOWDY!!!!
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
J-man

Post by J-man »

Thanks guys. Yea I plan on alot of fab work on the turbo project, not on the car but as far as intake and intercoolerpiping and exhaust and things like that. The car itself has beautiful lines IMHO. I will enjoy reading about other peoples posts and learning from everyones expertise. I get ragged on by a couple of corvair haters that live in the days of if it doesnt have a big block then its not cool. I honestly dont care what they think, and I love the corvair for what it is. With todays technology on turbo systems, the corvair will be quicker and more efficient than in the 60's and just might surprise my muscle car friends. :)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

LM Corvairs are one of the best looking cars ever. I like the ideas you have on Turbos. THere are a few turbo guys here. Phil who is running a turbo coupe landspeed car (above). Miniman82 who is into VW's and Vairs who is our resident Turbo guru.

Check some of the threads in the High Performance section viewforum.php?f=40
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
J-man

Post by J-man »

Thanks Scott. I will be reading up on the other posts an getting to know everyone.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Butcher&Vairs

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

:welcome2:
Attachments
61va2 016 - Copy.JPG
61va2 016 - Copy.JPG (48.32 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
J-man

Post by J-man »

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Looking at a 65 corsa this weekend. Comes with a spare 180hp engine but it been sitting in the garage for 15years. I hope it is rebuildable. Also the lower c pilars at the window trim is rotted, so not sure about this one..
reidmier
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by reidmier »

IMO - Pick a rust free car even if it has no drivetrain or interior. You'll save yourself a ton of headaches and money in the long run.
Reid M.
Washington, UT.
'65 Monza 110 PG

http://www.hacoa.org/
http://www.vegasvairs.com/
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Agree'd. A good body is so much easier and cheaper to deal with than a bad one. The motor on the other hand you'll have to go through and rebuild anyway... they are 40 years old.
1966 Corsa Coupe
J-man

Post by J-man »

Well that is the goal. I hate rust but they are 40 years old and I'm sure ill have to deal with it in some way . As long as its not major replacement I'm fine with it. But I want as rust free as I can get.
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1592

Here's one in Las Vegas, NV.... bit for you but it's nice and clean... non-turbo though
1966 Corsa Coupe
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Welcome to the forum!
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CARGOIL

Post by CARGOIL »

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find that rust free diamond soon.
larrybuck

Post by larrybuck »

WELCOME!!! Young man! Go to the wild west and you WILL find less rust!

Return to “Introductions”