What to do with 69 Corvair

Anything Corvair related
nimblemotorsports

What to do with 69 Corvair

Post by nimblemotorsports »

I just bought a 69 Corvair and I am wondering what I should do with it. It has no engine, but has the auto transaxle in place.
It is all complete otherwise and just has rust at the base of the windshield which doesn't look too bad.

Anyway, I was thinking of making it a road racer and doing a major engine swap/transformation, basically keeping just the body.
But then I have another car for that, so starting thinking of doing something else with it, maybe with an eye towards reselling it.

The previous owner had bought an Audi 4.2 V8 and transaxle to swap in for a mid-engine setup, and I could buy that drivetrain if I want pretty cheap.
Another thought was just put the Corvair body on a C4 corvette chassis and make it front-engine, rwd.
Or I could go with a C5 setup, and put the engine in front with transaxle in back. A C5 donor aint corvair cheap, so then I was thinking
of a Porsche 944 setup with engine in front, maybe a 3.8 v6 engine with the porsche transaxle in back.
Or maybe the 3.8 with supercharger in back with some kind of transaxle, maybe the Audi one.
Or perhaps a Subaru H6 in the back to give it the same flare but modernized?
I read through the Honda motor swap and that looked pretty interesting.

Anyways, If I want to sell it when done, it would need to be something people want to buy and I can make a profit on.
If that means just finding a flat 6 motor to put in, then maybe that is what I should do.
A Corvair motor does not appear easy to find locally.
terribleted

Re: What to do with 69 Corvair

Post by terribleted »

Making a profit on a major custom conversion is likely a very uncertain proposition. Corvairs do not bring big money even in pristine stock form, rarely selling in the upper $20,000's. Buyers for a one off custom hot rod are not generally looking for Corvairs. I have never seen a Corvair conversion sell for more than the upper $20,000 range and the ones I have seen sell in the 20's were show quality thru and thru (The ones I am remembering certainly had as much or nearly as much cash invested in them as the selling price). I would suggest that recovering your cash investment (give or take)for parts and materials is a more likely scenario on re-sale. I would not do such a project unless I felt that I did not need to be compensated for my time and would not mind spending a few thousand dollars (cash I might lose) for the enjoyment of building and playing with the car a bit. Any profit beyond cash costs I would consider to be a bonus. With all that being said, IF, you could find just the right buyer with money to burn, who fell in love with your creation, you might be able to profit handsomely........I have no faith in being able to find such a buyer when I want to sell.

If your aim is to do something with the car to make a profit on it then your best bet may be to find a used engine and perhaps make the car functional and sell it.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
nimblemotorsports

Well, my question is basically what creation would someone fall in love with? :)
Heck I could just resell it as-is and make a profit, what fun is that?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

That sir is a question that can only be answered by the person in love:)

I have contemplated many different setups using old and new powertrains. I have owned 2 Crown Corv-8 cars one of which I built. (I only recovered around 1/2 my cash investment when I sold that car. I was in a spot where I had to sell it quickly and could have improved that equation with more time, although I doubt I could have re-cooped the $35k+ I had invested. Such a conversion done well is a pretty large undertaking:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Joining a local club chapter of CORSA (Corvair Society of America) can add a lot to your enjoyment of the Corvair. Clubs are family-friendly and often offer technical training classes, car shows, picnics, competition events, scenic drives, etc. They can also possibly advise you concerning local mechanics, body shops, etc., and often will supply help, loan tools, etc. to help Corvair owners who are willing to learn and to take the DIY approach. Have you considered joining that club chapter and getting to know some of the local Corvair owners there? You may find the help you are looking for in such a group. There also may be interest among club members in purchasing your Corvair when you are ready to sell. Their website includes classified ads with several engines listed.

ImageImage
CORSA Chapter Locator - Classic Corvairs of River City

Sacramento, California

For information please call or Email
Chris Medeiros
5554 Ridgepoint Drive
Antelope CA 95843
Email Medeiros@ac.com

CLUB OFFICERS

PRESIDENT Chris Medeiros 916-992-3198

VICE PRESIDENT Carl Funk 916-783-5070

TREASURER Finn Halbo 530-747-6323

SECRETARY Bill Moore 530-333-2063

MEMBERSHIP Chris Medeiros 916-992-3198

HISTORIAN Christy Barden 530-263-1001

EDITOR Jean Colegrove 916-338-1660

Newsletter Sample Copy:
Classic Corvairs of River City Newsletter - September 2016.pdf
Classic Corvairs of River City Newsletter - September 2016
(3.18 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
Website: :link: http://www.northern-california-corvairs.com/
The purpose of the Classic Corvairs of River City (CCRC) organization is to promote education and training unique to the Chevrolet Corvair automobiles, trucks and related hybrid vehicles. This purpose includes the preservation, enjoyment and maintenance of said vehicles. CCRC provides a social and recreational forum to facilitate the exchange of ideas, information, and activities.

The club with over fifty members attends various car shows, picnics, tours, and social gatherings.

Anyone interested in more information can contact us or attend the club meeting held the fourth Wednesday of the month at Denny's Restaurant at the corner of Sunrise and Greenback in Citrus Heights.

CCRC is a member of the national Corvair Society of America (CORSA) chapter 956
======================================================================================================

The websites listed in the following link may be useful to you...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

======================================================================================================

Finally, 1969 was the final production year for the Corvair, and production was discontinued in April of that year. As such the 1969 Corvair is somewhat rare and may be worth preserving if yours is in good condition (mostly rust-free).

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
nimblemotorsports

Yeah, I've been researching, and saw the low production numbers of the 69, it makes it even more rare than my 56 Nomad!
But as we know, rare does not mean valuable, old does not mean classic. Given the seller of this car had it for sale cheap for two weeks,
and I was the only person to come see it, tells the story about value, and he took almost half of the asking price.

So I'm thinking if I can get hold of a corvair motor, I could redo the car with another transaxle and move the motor mid-ship,
and put a couple turbos and fuel injection on it. And update the front suspension with some C4 corvette parts.
Then put the driver in the middle, with a couple passenger seats in the back on the sides, ala McLaren F1.
I could road race THIS version of a corvair, the motor itself is basically pretty good.

s7sean

Post by s7sean »

Just a thought, undertaking a V8 swap is a huge project and will take a lot of time to get it correct. My thoughts would be to get a stock motor and get it on the road. Another thought maybe stock motor with a 4 speed, people will like that better and selling would be easier and easier to build.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Corvair Forum mobile app
notched

Post by notched »

You probably should cut your losses and sell it as it is. Unless you are getting everything for free you will not make money on it. Most guys who build Corvairs build them because they love them. Not because they are looking to make a profit.
Cars like Camaros and Chevelles and Novas IF you can find them cheap are the cars that make money. But then you would be fighting everyone else to get one cheap.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

As others have mentioned, Corvairs don't bring a lot of money. Therefore, it is my opinion that the best approach with these cars is to figure out the coolest creation you can make with the parts you have, or with the parts you manage to cheaply obtain. This is basically my approach with all cheap cars. Sometimes this means sitting on the car for a bit while you obtain parts cars, spare engines, etc. It also means that the cheap parts you end up with will determine the direction of the project.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Why modify the front suspension? It's pretty good already. Quicker steering is helpful. Rack and pinion would be slick but, again, it's a Corvair and that's a lot of money to blow on something that'll never give you a good return.

If you want to do big mods, switch to a water cooled engine.

nimblemotorsports

xrotaryguy wrote:As others have mentioned, Corvairs don't bring a lot of money. Therefore, it is my opinion that the best approach with these cars is to figure out the coolest creation you can make with the parts you have, or with the parts you manage to cheaply obtain. This is basically my approach with all cheap cars. Sometimes this means sitting on the car for a bit while you obtain parts cars, spare engines, etc. It also means that the cheap parts you end up with will determine the direction of the project.
Indeed, this is how I approach it. No hurry at all, I mean I have 15+ cars and can only physically work on one at a time, but I collect parts and parts cars when they become available, but then I need to know what too be looking for. I've started looking for H6 subaru cheap, and may have a trade deal for one that makes it basically free. In California cars that won't smog or with back fees due, they can be had cheap, and thus you get a complete parts car for almost nothing.

I have been wanting to build a hybrid 'supercar' with awd, and had a Porsche Boxster that was going to be that project, but parted it out instead.
So maybe I will go ahead and make this Corvair my 'supercar' which was the originally idea..using Prius parts...as I have two parts cars.
And I have an existing set of supercapacitors that can output 900hp. ;) But if I can score a H6 Suby..

I think the 65-69 Corvairs have timeless beauty like the 67-69 Camaros do, and I'm surprised they haven't increased much in value.
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Oh! That's a good point about CA cars with back fees. I moved to the LA area recently and Got blindsided by someone else's lapsed glregistration. Infuriating!

Good way to get parts cars though. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

yep, back fees on my Cherokee 4x4 is the main reason it is for sale for $500
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
nimblemotorsports

So I checked the VIN on this corvair, and it is NOT a 69, but a 67. Not that it makes any difference really, but just wanted to set the record straight.

I think I'm going with the prius drivetrain plan, put it in the back, mid-engine. Start with a pure stock transplant, which will be a big challenge in itself, as nobody I know of has ever successfully transplanted a prius drivetrain into another car. But once that is all working, then I can put in the front electric drive transaxle to make it AWD, which will be fully custom control hardware/software. Then step 3 is to replace the engine with one that is more powerful than the 1.5L, I'm thinking maybe my 12A twin-turbo rotary. Anyways, have a couple other projects ahead of this one right now.

Return to “Corvair Talk”