Rampside / FC 140 Air Filter(s)

All Models and Years
xrotaryguy

Rampside / FC 140 Air Filter(s)

Post by xrotaryguy »

I recently installed my "spare" 140 motor in my Rampside. I was kinda hoping that the car air filter would fit but it doesn't quite clear the throttle linkage. (I welded a piece of linkage onto the top of a car crossover shaft.) So it seems to me that I need some other type of air filter. What aftermarket air filters work best here?

And I say "work best" because the last time I used an aftermarket filter, the carb linkage would bump the bottom side of the filter and eventually knock it off the carb. That was some small Autozone filter. I think it was made by Mr Gasket. Cheap stuff I found off the shelf. No reason it should have worked any better than it did.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Re: Rampside / FC 140 Air Filter(s)

Post by terribleted »

Most people I have seen with this setup graft together 2 sets of early aircleaner tops to make them accommodate both carbs. (weld a carb joining section onto a complete normal early top opened up so air can flow to both carbs after welding the pieces together.

here is a link to a Corvair Phorum post with a photo of a particularly nicely made set. http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 791,306795
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

The modified early air cleaner looks like a pretty slick solution!

I'm gonna go with some high performance air filters from California Corvairs. I'll have to raise the floor up some but I uses I can live with that. I'll also have to route my oil Breather to something. Maybe I'll route it to the crossover tube. I just hate using a breather filter and venting to the engine compartment all the time. What a mess!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
mrhvair

Post by mrhvair »

The 5 inch round air filters are what I am running my 140 in the rampside, Previous owner notched the lid in two places to accommodate these and the work great. Just a thought, clarks sell these, but they are available at many local parts houses. seems like there a mr gasket product.
Mike Hall
Corsa Central Division Director
Corsa President
CPF President

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”