Turbo issues..

All Models and Years
Corsa180T

Turbo issues..

Post by Corsa180T »

Hi, was going through my turbo today and stumbled upon this (see pic). The heat shield interfaces with the center section becouse of a "lip" around the hole and I can't see other housings having that. Or I'm I missing something?ImageImage

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Corvair Forum mobile app
Scott V

Re: Turbo issues..

Post by Scott V »

the center sections i have seen dont have a lip. maybe you have a different center section that needs a special heat sheild?

-Scott V.
Corsa180T

Post by Corsa180T »

This is what I have, the turbo came in parts when I bought my Corsa.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Corvair Forum mobile app
notched

Post by notched »

That is the turbine side of the bearing housing. The only item on that side would be the piston ring. That looks like someone pushed a flanged bushing into it. Will it pry out? These are some of the bearing housings I have. Note no flange around that opening.
I should warn you that if you do rebuild the turbo that you should pressure test it as those bearing housings do wear out. The 2 shown in the picture are bad ones that had leakage problems.
Attachments
DSCF2514.JPG
DSCF2515.JPG
DSCF2516.JPG
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Corsa180T

Post by Corsa180T »

Hi, I find a housing that has the same flange on californiacorvair.com but it´s not axactley the same model. I have tried to pry it out but it seems to be forged together.. I think I will try to find i new one but I have just find used ones. http://californiacorvairparts.com/2471- ... using.html
Rajay
Rajay
rayjay-turbo-bearing-housing.jpg (39.98 KiB) Viewed 626 times
notched

Post by notched »

That housing is a later Rajay housing. It has some parts that interchange but is not an exact replacement for an original 62-66 Corvair housing. You can see it uses counter sunk style screws to hold the compressor housing on. You might want to try asking Ken Hand or Steve Goodman over on the other message board what that raised piece is for.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

The housing in your first picture has either been welded or had a sleeve pressed into it, to correct an oil leakage problem resulting from the turbine oil seal being jammed into the housing and gouging it. You should use a later Rajay 310 series heat shield with it since it has the correct size hole to go around the ledge, or you can simply bust out the die grinder on your cast iron Corvair one to make it clear. I have the newer style shield in stock if you'd like to buy one from me.
Click it!
Corsa180T

Post by Corsa180T »

I was thinking the same way before I saw that the housing was cracked on the other side were the snap ring will sit. So it will go into the garbage bag..Image
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Could still be welded, but there are better housings out there...
Click it!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”