Isky vs Reground 180 Cam

Anything Corvair related
xrotaryguy

Isky vs Reground 180 Cam

Post by xrotaryguy »

There's a partially assembled motor for sale near me with a .280 lift regrind cam in it. Would that cam be similar to an Isky 280 or a similar offering from Otto? I realize that there will be differences and it's tough to generalize a cam off of just one number like this but... similar?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Last edited by xrotaryguy on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
66vairguy

Re: Isky vs Reground 180 Cam

Post by 66vairguy »

A "280" cam usually refers to the duration. Duration can be measured a number of ways. Most manufacturers use a reference and you can go online to learn.

Cam lift is another reference and can mean the lifter lift, or the valve movement that is dependent on the rocker ratio. As they say - "Read the fine print" to determine things.

Bob Helt sells a Corvair book with a lot of camshaft information in it.

If a cam is reground it has to be minor and Parkerized after the grind. Otherwise you can end up with the lifters dropping too far in the bore or a camshaft that doesn't last.

Bottom line here - without a cam number on the end and paperwork to back up the work - RUN don't walk away.

Considering the work needed to change a Corvair boxer engine camshaft, you really want to do it once and correctly.

Return to “Corvair Talk”