Fuel pressure regulators and airtex pump.

All Models and Years
lostboy

Re: Fuel pressure regulators and airtex pump.

Post by lostboy »

66vairguy wrote:
lostboy wrote:
Wells that's the problem isn't it? I'm in a hurry and just want to drive!
Not what I meant, but I'll make sure not to comment on any of your posts in the future.
As a matter of fact, I knew exactly what you meant and I probably could have worded a better response. Some times you're in a bind and have to use what you can get. It happens to the best of us.
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
toytron

Post by toytron »

From that video, it appears that the surge is from too much pressure. Definitely check it with a pressure gage.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

toytron wrote:From that video, it appears that the surge is from too much pressure. Definitely check it with a pressure gage.

Will do. I understand path of least resistance, but it seems like both should have the problem, especially when the left one fills up, wouldn't the remaining pressure seek relief from the right?
-Steve
toytron

Post by toytron »

It could also be a slight difference in float level height or something along that line. If you were to pull the top of that carb and look for something obvious. I realize that you had the carbs professionally redone but I have seen my share of mistakes made. Personally I would wait to see what you have for pressure then go from there. I know how frustrating it is to have to wait but patience is best on this issue.

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Wells that's the problem isn't it? I'm in a hurry and just want to drive! Honestly though, I spared no expense, even on the carbs. He's done other carbs for me before. It seems like the left one (bank 2) is the one that spills fuel but I assumed it was because its closer to the pump.
My reason for asking if only one carburetor seemed to be flooding was to possibly consider a fault within that carb's fuel management — instead of focusing on the fuel pump as the source of the fault. The proximity of the carburetor to the fuel pump would be an unlikely cause.

You should not assume perfection in the carburetor rebuilds. One flooding carburetor may have earned an inspection to rule out the possibility of faulty assembly or components. Removing power from the fuel pump would not rule out a leaky fuel inlet control in the float bowl. It would simply starve both carburetors... including the potential faulty carburetor with bad fuel inlet control.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

bbodie52 wrote:
Wells that's the problem isn't it? I'm in a hurry and just want to drive! Honestly though, I spared no expense, even on the carbs. He's done other carbs for me before. It seems like the left one (bank 2) is the one that spills fuel but I assumed it was because its closer to the pump.
My reason for asking if only one carburetor seemed to be flooding was to possibly consider a fault within that carb's fuel management — instead of focusing on the fuel pump as the source of the fault. The proximity of the carburetor to the fuel pump would be an unlikely cause.

You should not assume perfection in the carburetor rebuilds. One flooding carburetor may have earned an inspection to rule out the possibility of faulty assembly or components. Removing power from the fuel pump would not rule out a leaky fuel inlet control in the float bowl. It would simply starve both carburetors... including the potential faulty carburetor with bad fuel inlet control.
That was my mistake, assuming anything. It's the age old "want it done right do it yourself". Anyway I pulled the carb off last night and will drop it off today hopefully. Listen I'm an ASE technician, and I've played with carbs before, even did two racks on two cb550s but I figured in this instance just have someone who can make them look nice as well as perform well. I suppose I could have done it and used that Eastwood spray, but I've heard mixed reviews. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll let you know how it works out.
-Steve
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Of course the problem with any professionally rebuilt carburetor is that it was assembled and shipped to you untested. In most cases it would be OK, but occasionally a mistake is made or a faulty component slips through (such as the possibility of reusing a faulty float assembly that might have a leak in one of the floats). Such a fault might go undetected in a carburetor shop and would not be discovered until the rebuilt carburetor is actually installed on a running engine. Good luck!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

bbodie52 wrote:Of course the problem with any professionally rebuilt carburetor is that it was assembled and shipped to you untested. In most cases it would be OK, but occasionally a mistake is made or a faulty component slips through (such as the possibility of reusing a faulty float assembly that might have a leak in one of the floats). Such a fault might go undetected in a carburetor shop and would not be discovered until the rebuilt carburetor is actually installed on a running engine. Good luck!
Thanks man! They say they bench test every carb, whatever that means. At least I got it from a physical shop where I can go face to face, and or throw it through their front window ;) (of course I'm joking.)
-Steve
toytron

Post by toytron »

Another thing is that you never know how much the carbs might have been banged around if they were shipped. The rebuilder has no control over that.

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Ok. Turns out my float was taking on quite a bit of fuel. (Obviously I could have figured this out myself but didn't want to pull it apart and void what ever type of warranty that I had.) So, carbs back in and I re-routed my fuel line with an 80s pickup filter and a swagelock line and fittings to engine. I figure it's safer than rubber but still allows for some movement.

-Steve
toytron

Post by toytron »

Fire her up!

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Rig up a temporary pressure gauge into the lines. Otherwise, you're just taking shots in the dark.

Once you get it all figured out then remove the gauge and rubber hoses. Hint: Be sure the gauge you use can be trusted. Also, don't use a 0-100 PSI gauge to measure 3-4 PSI. You need something in the 0-15 range at most to get an accurate reading. Something like this full sweep 0-15 at Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif- ... Ah-D8P8HAQ
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

So what part numbers for a e pump are best for my 110 monza?

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”