69 140 Coupe

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
xrotaryguy

69 140 Coupe

Post by xrotaryguy »

I've been posting about this car on another forum. But now, THERE'S AN APP! So here I am!

I uhauled it down from Madera CA to my place in Pomona. I do not recommend uhaul for this purpose. It was super expensive because of the miles. Maybe a Home Depot truck with a uhaul trailer?

The car has a rag top kit on it. It's got a 140, 4 speed, and posi. It also came with a spare 140, 4 speed, and another posi, all supposedly in good shape.

Engine #1 ran. It was LOUD! [emoji4] But I finally heard a head gasket leak over the noise and found a stripped head stud.

Engine #2 is in and I might start it this weekend.

Rust seems moderate to minimal. The interior is trashed. Paint and body is passable for now, maybe with some wax it'll even look decent.

Plans are to make this an occasional driver and auto cross car.

Playing musical engines

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 69 140 Coup

Post by azdave »

Good you're getting back at it after leaving Phoenix. I see it came with the typical aftermarket 3-gauge upgrade above the radio.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
xrotaryguy

Re: 69 140 Coupe

Post by xrotaryguy »

Yeah, there are too many good deals here. I couldn't pass it up. I don't even have my CA license yet haha.

All electric gauges. Not a terrible setup.

cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks for posting about your project.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Nice looking project.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Steel fuel line. I'm not a fan of steel braided rubber hose, especially when it needs to be routed past a fan belt.

From the under side.

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Hopefully I get away without running a fuel pressure regulator. We shall see.

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Looks like the goo came out of this one. I bet that means it doesn't work [emoji6]

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Coils are usually liquid-filled to help keep them cool. They are intended to operate in a continuous state of charge/discharge, on/off. If the ignition key is left ON for a lengthy period of time, AND if the points happen to be closed when the engine stops, current will flow continuously through the primary winding (unless the battery is drained). This can cause the coil to overheat and sometimes to burst as the liquid that surrounds the coil windings heats and expands to the point where the seal bursts and the fluid leaks out. Sometimes there is a manufacturing defect or poor design that can also cause an unexplained coil failure, or the primary circuit ballast resistor is bypassed, forcing the coil to operate continuously at 12 VDC, instead of a reduced nominal 7 VDC that is designed into most automotive primary circuits.

:think: :idea: Vibration is also a possible cause of coil failure. The Corvair factory coil mount is directly on a stud that extends from the engine cylinder head. A lot of engine heat may be conducted to the coil mount, and engine vibration is also transmitted to the coil. Relocating the coil to a mounting point on the engine compartment perimeter frame can reduce heat and vibration and possibly prolong the life of the coil.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

I think Flamethrower coils have been my #1 reason for coil failure. Every one I've ever used has either rapidly failed or not worked in the first place.

The good news: I tossed in an old AC coil and it fired up :)

steve57

Post by steve57 »

that Corvair was on craigslist for quite awhile. it"s good to see someone was willing to rescue it. good luck with your project.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Thanks! It was out in the middle of nowhere north of Fresno. Those far-flung sales are often good deals. It's got problems but I think they'll all get worked out.

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

The 69 Corvair ran yesterday. As soon as it got fuel and spark it just flied right up and sounded GREAT!

I shut it off after about 10 seconds because I noticed the harmonic balancer wondering back and forth. Grrr... aaaaand time to buy a balancer. Luckily, I live in the same town as CA Corvairs. ;)

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Balancer changed. Thanks, California Corvairs for the rebuilt balancer! This time I ran it long enough to get all the lifters to quiet down. It sounds really great! Love these headers. Love the Holley carb. I've never actually liked a Holley carb before but this one works like a charm.

Now to install all the other little bits in the engine compartment and a new battery.

I need to figure out what to do with this single wire alternator too.

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Well, this isn't working. Suggestions? The linkage basically just tries to move up and down instead of fore and aft. Do I need to switch to a cable maybe?

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Nevermind, some idiot installed the linkage on the transmission bell crank the wrong way. Wonder who that was... [emoji85]

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”