Tire and rims size

All Models and Years
Bobcat

Tire and rims size

Post by Bobcat »

I have a 1963 max convert what I need to know i :guitar: will size 14 work on this car ? Also want some old school rims like crags . Where could something like this be found in four lugs
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Tire and rims size

Post by bbodie52 »

Switching from the original 13" rims to 14" or 15" rims on an early model Corvair is an excellent choice — especially when the car is to be driven regularly on the street. The 13" tire size has become obsolete, and although they are still available through some specialty outlets, the prices for these low-production items are really getting high, while the range of features and options continue to narrow. Even 14" tires are becoming less and less available with each passing year, as these sizes are not really used on modern automobiles so the production in 13" and 14" cater more and more to classic car owners. Low productions means increasing cost per tire, and modern engineering and design advances seldom find their way into the low-production tires. Switching to the larger rims allows you access to more state of the art tires at competitive prices, and the result can be improved handling and braking for the Corvair.

You should start by clicking on the link below, and then read through the excellent material on tires and wheels for both early (1960-1964) and late model (1965-1969) Corvairs. I believe that many of your questions will be answered in that well-researched article...

Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

After reviewing the material in that article, please come back here to go over any questions you many have.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Bobcat

Re: Tire and rims size

Post by Bobcat »

Thanks will look that up (bobcat n.c. Rky mt

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”