Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair [MAY 14, 2015]

Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama.
also Serving the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario. All countries of Central and South America, and Mexico (except Baja California)
Forum rules
Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama.
also Serving the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario. All countries of Central and South America, and Mexico (except Baja California)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair [MAY 14, 2015]

Post by bbodie52 »

From Facebook...

Eva (Corvair Lady) wrote:Come join us for a special rare gathering to meet the GM car designers and auto workers who helped build the Chevy Corvair and hear some of their "first hand" stories. Space is limited and we need to know if you are coming. Thank you.
Facebook Meet the Makers :link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1568933350018481/

Facebook — Corvair Nuts of North America :link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2460383622/
Eva (Corvair Lady) wrote:Ypsilanti, MI - Due to the increased interest in this upcoming event, we need to get an accurate count of who is planning to come as space is limited. Based on responses to this invitation, there may be the possibility of moving the speaker's portion of the event to another venue and returning to the museum for the rest of the program. Please let us know quickly as a decision will need to be made very soon. We do have a host hotel: Ann Arbor Regent (Room rate: $94.00) includes hot breakfast. When booking resv. ask for "Corvair event - "Meet the Makers". For more information regarding the "Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair" event - I invite you to go to the Facebook page. Thank you.
Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair :link: https://www.facebook.com/meetthecorvairmakers
Meet the Makers of the Chevy Corvair on May 14, 2015 at Ypsilanti Auto. Heritage Museum from 1:00pm to 4:00pm+, Ypsilanti, MI
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair [MAY 14, 2015]

Post by bbodie52 »

IMPORTANT UPDATE...
Eva McGuire wrote:Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair
***ATTENTION: Effective today, the location of the first half of the "Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair" event is being moved from the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum to the YANKEE AIR MUSEUM (within the Willow Run Airport Facility). Address of Yankee Air Museum: 47884 "D" Street, Belleville, MI. THE DATE AND TIMES REMAIN THE SAME (MAY 14, 2015 from 1pm-4pm+).

Due to the increasing interest in attendance, the Yankee Air Museum is better equipped to accommodate the necessary seating and parking arrangements needed for this event including a Corvair car show. To date, we have approximately 150 people planning to attend with the number expected to possibly go up to 200. THE SECOND HALF OF THE PROGRAM (after the presentations & guest speakers portion is completed) will continue at the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum, 100 E. Cross St., Ypsilanti, MI to view the Corvair Museum, memorabilia, and attend the Corvair after party at the Sidetrack (across the street).

THOSE ATTENDING THIS EVENT WITH THEIR CORVAIRS ARE STILL ENCOURAGED TO ARRIVE SOMEWHAT EARLIER ON EVENT DAY (9-10AM) EXCEPT YOU NEED TO GO TO THE AIR MUSEUM FIRST. I WILL BE SELECTING A FEW CORVAIRS THAT WILL BE ALLOWED TO BE PARKED INSIDE THE YANKEE AIR MUSEUM DURING OUR EVENT.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD. THERE WILL BE PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES AS THERE IS AN AIR FORCE JET AND ONE PROP PLANE SITTING OUTSIDE THE MUSEUM THAT YOU CAN PARK YOUR CORVAIR NEXT TO AND TAKE PHOTOS.

Once we return to the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum, all Corvairs scheduled to park in front may do so for photographs. All other Corvairs will park in the rear parking lot.

THANK YOU. CORVAIR LADY (Eva McGuire)
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

"Meet the Makers" Update...

*** VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO THOSE WHO PLAN ON ATTENDING THE "MEET THE MAKERS OF THE CHEVROLET CORVAIR" EVENT:

Due to the rising number of people wanting to attend the upcoming "Meet the Makers" event, I have had to go to reserved seating. All those who have RSVP'd on this Facebook page will be getting one reserved seat. If you are bringing a guest, you must notify me immediately in order to make additional reservations. Without a reservation, your seat(s) can not be guaranteed. Please contact me immediately at corvairlady@gmail.com to book your reservation. Please do not book a reservation if you're not sure you're coming as every seat is critical at this point. I am almost at 200 booked reservations already with more requests coming in every day (and I haven't even gone to the media yet which will occur in 1 week). Your seating ticket will await you at the registration table upon arriving at the Yankee Air Museum located at 27884 "D" Street, Belleville, MI. (located within the Willow Run Airport Facility)

Even though I have relocated this event to a larger venue and booked their entire meeting space to accommodate 300 seats, they are going fast. This event is open to the public and free of charge but once I fill the seats for the speaker portion of the program, it will be standing room only outside the conference room away in the museum area. I am currently seeking alternative measures to see if the audio company I hired can live feed into the museum room area for possible overflow with hopeful borrowed additional seats. Should anyone decide to cancel coming, please let me know as soon as possible in order to free up a seat for someone else. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD. I am also including the schedule of the event program on my next post.

OUR HOST HOTEL IS STILL THE ANN ARBOR REGENT.
Phone: 1-800-973-6101. Mention the "Corvair Event - Meet the Makers" to get the $94.00 special room rate (includes hot breakfast).

Location of hotel: 2455 Carpenter Rd., Ann Arbor, MI
Thank you. Corvair Lady
MEET THE MAKERS OF THE CHEVROLET CORVAIR PROGRAM EVENT SCHEDULE (THURSDAY - MAY 14, 2015):
Location: YANKEE AIR MUSEUM, 47884 "D" Street, Belleville, MI 48111
http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/ (Yankee Air Museum is located within the Willow Run Airport Facility)

8:30AM to 10:00AM
Indoor/Outdoor Corvair car show participants must arrive at the Yankee Air Museum. For those cars assigned to the inside of the museum should arrive no later than 9:00am.
Anyone driving to the Meet the Makers event in a Corvair is automatically in our car show. Outdoor parking will be next to the two aircraft displays. Good photo opportunity.

10:00AM to 3:00PM
Indoor/Outdoor Corvair Show

10:00AM to 12:45pm
Registration to obtain seating in conference room.

1:00PM to 2:00PM

Opening Ceremonies begin with special presentations
Guest of Honor appearance by Dave Cole , son of Ed Cole

2:00PM to 4:00PM

14 Guest speakers (former Corvair auto workers & GM car designers giving
"first hand" story accounts followed by:
"Meet & Greet" the makers one on one with cake & coffee
Photos taken of the makers with Corvairs
Raffle winners announced

4:00PM to 6:00PM

Leave Yankee Air Museum and travel to Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum to tour "Corvair Room" with memorabilia.
Corvair souvenirs available at gift shop.
*Special museum hours: 10:00am to 6:00pm

Approx. 6:00PM +

"Corvair After Party" at the Sidetrack Restaurant. Dinner on own.

I wrote a Proclamation that our Governor signed which declares May 14, 2015, "Chevrolet Corvair Appreciation Day" for the entire State of Michigan in celebration of the "Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair" event. We will be at the epicenter of the festivities with this event. Come and join us as there will be plenty to see, makers to meet, stories to hear, and memories that will last a lifetime.

***There will be a special appearance of the last known Corvair produced at Willow Run (1969 Car #5999) coming from the Chevy Hall of Fame Museum. Also appearing will be the last made 1969 convertible (car #5997 - owned by Pete Koehler). Cars #5999 & #5997 will be reuniting since May 14, 1969. Also appearing will be a Corvair with recent discovered GM show car attributes. Stu Shuster will be bringing Ned Nickels Monza with a special surprise guest passenger (to be revealed at the event).

There will be special presentations, a free raffle with great prizes (all relating to the Corvair and/or the Willow Run Assembly Plant).

Corvair Lady
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

As of today, all the available 300 reserved seats in the main conference room area and 50 overflow seats in the hangar area (with a large screen with live stream) for the "Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair" are taken with more requests coming in every day. Those who I have not received an answer back to confirm their reservation on Facebook will only receive their one seating ticket. I have heard from most of you (some have cancelled and I appreciate that so we could give others those available seats). Due to the high demand for seating: If those who have a reserved seating ticket (for the speaker portion of the program) do not claim their seat(s) by a half hour into the beginning of the program by 1:30PM - program begins at 1pm); your ticket may be released so another person can obtain an available seat. It will be standing room at this point but it's still worth coming to as there will be a large screen with live stream coming in from the main conference room during the speaker portion of the program. Afterwards, people will be able to meet the makers one on one and ask questions, etc. There will be plenty of Corvairs to see, people to meet, a trip to Ypsilanti to see the Corvair Museum, and a gathering at the Sidetrack Restaurant afterwards (it might get a bit crowded). Thank you for so much for your interest in this event. The Willow Run Corvair auto workers are very excited about coming as well. I am anticipating 400-600+ people attending at this point. All those attending who will be bringing their Corvair to the outside show in the parking lot area need to arrive as early as possible the morning of May 14th (around 8am and no later than 9am). Safe travels. Corvair Lady (Eva McGuire)
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm pleased to announce that we will have Carl Sagan's restored 1964 Spyder Convertible making an appearance at the upcoming "Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair" event along with other notable Corvairs (previously mentioned) at our inside car show. As I mentioned, during the speaker portion of the program there will be no filming, no recording or audio devices and no cell phone use as there will be a videographer filming the event. DVD's will become available approx. 6 months down the road of this event, and anyone interested in ordering one should make their inquiries by way of a message to me at corvairlady@gmail.com. WE ARE ASKING ALL OF OUR RESERVED TICKET HOLDERS TO REFRAIN FROM WEARING PERFUME, COLOGNE, AFTER SHAVE, ON THE DAY OF EVENT AS MYSELF AND SOME OF OUR VIP GUEST SPEAKERS & ATTENDEES SUFFER FROM LUNG CONDITIONS AND ARE TRIGGERED BY THESE CHEMICAL AGENTS. WE APPRECIATE YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND COOPERATION CONCERNING THESE MEDICAL CONDITIONS. Some of you have been inquiring whether there is a website for the "Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair" event. No, there is no website. I only have this Facebook page. If you are needing additional information, please go to DACC-West.org website for more information regarding this event, Corvairs, and the Detroit Area Corvair Club. Thank you for your interest. We appreciate it.
Brad Bodie
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Anybody heading up for this? My son is home from college and we are making a road trip in the 62.
Jeff Sandor
Prez Cincinnati Corvair Club
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I am in my '66
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Made the 250 mile / 4 hour trip today from Cincy to Michigan in the 62. Car ran great, averaged 23 mpg. We left with the top down but it was a little cool so we stopped after 60 miles and drove with the top up the rest of the way. My son decided that the front seats are comfortable enough to fall asleep.
Attachments
vair vaca.jpg
AJ vair.jpg
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

I also was there, but my project is still on jack stands so I was unable to drive the Corvair. It was a nice collection of vehicles, 69 #5999 and the last convertible built were both there. A very engaging and entertaining group of speakers, from the assembly workers, foremen, plant management, GM designers and David Cole, Ed Cole's son.

They will be offering a DVD of the speakers - I will up date this thread once this is available... It did not occur to me that the 14th of May was selected for a specific reason - 46 years ago on this date the last Corvair was built. They even announced when it was 1:32 PM - the time of the last vehicles (#6000) completion.

A bunch of photos at the DACC Facebook page, I will not attempt to reproduce here. Links here --> https://www.facebook.com/DETROITCORVAIRS?fref=ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syZp4xVYPIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkx9h_5SgQw
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Made the round trip from Cincy to Yipsy without incident. Nearly 600 miles in 3 days. My son and I had a great time.

The event was well attended. There was about 55 to 65 cars there. Even spread between EM's and LM's.

Thanks to all who volunteered and put the event on. It was great to meet and hear stories from folks that worked on the corvairs and brought them to life.

Here's some pictures.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/rv6aa ... t=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

·
I'm slowly recovering from the Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair event. What a ride!!! Hang on everyone - I will be posting some photos beginning tomorrow (Wednesday 5/20/15). We are taking DVD orders of the speaker portion of the program showcasing "first hand" stories from our Corvair Makers including former auto workers & GM car designers. Cost is $25.00 (includes $5.00 shipping fee). If I can hand it to you; it will be $20.00. Send your order request(s) to corvairlady@gmail.com (include your name, address, & phone number). It will take a few months to complete editing, etc. The DVD's are being sold to recover for the expenses it took to make this a free event for everyone.The Corvair Makers and our guest of honor (Dave Cole, son of Ed Cole) were very pleased and had a great time at the event. I've received some wonderful e-mails, phone calls, cards, notes, Facebook messages telling me what a fantastic time they had at the event. Some of the Makers hadn't seen each other for many years. We had Corvair people from various club from many places, i.e. California, Florida, Tennessee, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Delaware, Minnesota and more. Thank you to all the Corvairs that came to participate at the indoor/outdoor car show. A lot of the Makers want me to do the program again next year (Sorry, this is a once in a lifetime event - Corvair Woodstock event). I want to thank everyone who came; it truly was a historic moment in the life of the Corvair we will not soon forget. I hope to continue the "Chevrolet Corvair Appreciation Day" for the state of Michigan every year on May 14th. Filming of the Corvair auto workers/GM Car Designers stories will now continue to preserve the Corvair history for all time. To date, 126 film & audio interviews have been conducted. As your host, I thank you for coming to this historic event and a BIG THANK YOU to Detroit Area Corvair Club for supporting this event and for all the volunteer help!!! Corvair Lady (Eva McGuire)
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

RARE PHOTOS INSIDE MAIN MEETING ROOM
AT MEET THE MAKERS EVENT
These are rare photos of inside the "Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair" event as there was no filming allowed inside the main meeting room except for the hired videographer. This program will be available as a DVD for sale to recover the expenses for making this event free to everyone who attended. Anyone wanting to hear the fantastic "first hand" stories given at this event by approx.15 speakers may contact the Corvair Lady to order your DVD at corvairlady@gmail.com. Each DVD is $25.00 (includes $5.00 shipping fee). Please include your name, address, phone number when ordering. If you want to send a check: Make it payable and mail to: Eva McGuire, P.O. Box 981335, Ypsilanti, MI 48198. It will take several months before the DVD is edited and ready for shipping. Thank you for your support. (There are some other photos included here from other areas of the program). Corvair Lady (Eva McGuire)
Special presentation made in front of Guest of Honor, Dave Cole, of oil portrait of his father, Ed Cole, that is going to the Chevy Hall of Fame Museum in Decatur, Illinois. Presentation speech made by (from left to right): Pete Cimbala (Corvair Museum Curator and former DACC President), CPF President (Mike Hall), Guest of Honor (Dave Cole), DACC President (Tim Bramble), CORSA Historian (Stu Shuster)
:link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 556&type=1
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm pleased to announced that the DVDs for the "Meet the Makers of the Chevrolet Corvair" are now available for purchase. The event that took place on May 14, 2015, was recorded on video and is now available as a two-DVD set (about 1-1/2 hours each) featuring guest of honor Ed Cole's son, Dave Cole and first hand story accounts of former Corvair auto workers & GM car designers along with special presentations and a selection of photos of the event are included. Most of you who prepaid orders from the day of the event will be receiving it in the mail very soon. For others - they will be hand distributed either at our upcoming Detroit Area Corvair Homecoming event on August 20-23, 2015, or given at upcoming meetings. For those who missed the event and would like to order a DVD set, you can submit a check for $25.00 (includes postage) made payable to: Eva McGuire, P.O. Box 981335, Ypsilanti, MI 48198 and I will be happy to mail you one. Thank you. Eva McGuire "Corvair Lady"
Brad Bodie

Return to “Corvair Only Shows and Events”