SOS from Italy: do I have to change clutch disc?

All Models and Years
alexbert

SOS from Italy: do I have to change clutch disc?

Post by alexbert »

Here a pic of my clutch disc and spring plate.
The thickness of friction material each side is about .150.
In the only day i was driving in Netherland sometime the clutch was jumping/rattling (don't know how to say in english). Is more likely to be disc or springs?
Also ther are some repairs on spring plate.... any comment/suggestion???
DSCN3798.JPG
DSCN3798.JPG (41.77 KiB) Viewed 518 times
DSCN3800.JPG
DSCN3800.JPG (65.81 KiB) Viewed 518 times

About thrust bearing it is a
NEW DEPARTURE - CT 22E - MADE IN USA.
Is this stock or it has been changed???

thanks for your support
Alex
When you see a Corvair
and your heart goes with her
that's Amore!
flat6_musik

Re: SOS from Italy: do I have to change clutch disc?

Post by flat6_musik »

Alex, I think many people would think that changing your clutch disc and checking/possibly resurfacing your flywheel is an excellent investment "while you're in there"......even installing a new throwout bearing too. That disc in your pic seems to have possibly some oil contamination, if that's carbon I'm seeing in those grooves there (although there seems to be some life left in it, as far as thickness). However......I reinstalled my old clutch disc when I rebuilt my motor, and it hasn't slipped or "chattered" once! Many times, there will be high spots (with a rainbowed color) on the surface of the flywheel and pressure plate that will cause the "chattering". Oil on clutches is the enemy here!
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

In the only day i was driving in Netherland sometime the clutch was jumping/rattling (don't know how to say in english). Is more likely to be disc or springs?
A rattle usually means that you can hear something . _ That would likely be loose rivets on the flywheel . A common Corvair problem.

Jumping is likely what we would call shudder or chatter and may be from oil on the clutch disk . Another common Corvair problem . Oil can get on the clutch from a leaky
front seal or the seal in the differential snout .

A picture of the other side of the pressure plate would tell more . Look for discoloration or hot/hard spots .

If in doubt I would replace the parts since you already have it apart after checking for and fixing any oil leaks .
Attachments
1-Vincent Chevy Ypsi Mi 1960 -2.png
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

It looks like the disc has oil contamination from a leaky seal. It should be replaced. I have cleaned them with brake cleaner but you take a chance doing that. Check the pressure plate for hot spots on the face also the flywheel for surface cracking, if you see cracking it should be resurfaced.
Mfankha1

Post by Mfankha1 »

Sounds like I have the same issue, then with the clutch clatter. Any guesses how much that runs to fix? Seals, clutch, etc?
Matt

1960 Corvair 500 Sedan
alexbert

Post by alexbert »

I resurfaced the flywheel and pressure plate, and made new clutch disc. Now it is smooth like butter.
The problem was , very probably, that the PO dId not put any seal on the flywheel bolts. I found clear oil traces coming out from the bolts heads: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT! DO NOT FORGET THIS POINT!
I also changed the seal on the fly wheel housing (on the crankshaft) and on the input shaft.
After these activites everything went very good.

Alex
When you see a Corvair
and your heart goes with her
that's Amore!
Mfankha1

Post by Mfankha1 »

Gratzie!
Matt

1960 Corvair 500 Sedan

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”