newbie in japan

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
NipponFC

newbie in japan

Post by NipponFC »

:wave: Howdy, first time poster here. Thought i would give an introduction before i start with the questions.
I've got a fairly decent grasp on how to turn a wrench as i worked in a garage for 5 years and have been tinkering with drift machines for about 10. i have always admired the simplicity of old air cooled engines and i had my heart set on buying a VW type II but while shopping around i came across a 64 greenbrier sportswagon that i fell in love with and bought right away. It runs (when it wants to) but needs some TLC. I have no experience with American cars whatsoever and the oldest car I've owned was an 86 toyota levin so im counting on the friendly people of the internet to help me get this thing on the road.
looking forward to learning from you all
Big thanks in advance
64 greenbrier 110 4 speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: newbie in japan

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Yours has to be one of the more unique situations I've heard on the Corvair Forum. A 1964 Corvair Greenbrier is relatively rare in the USA, but unbelievably rare in Japan!
Corvair Truck Production Statistics.jpg
I'm guessing parts sources and technical documentation would be a significant thing on your "wish list". The following link will provide you with a list of useful websites that should help you in that regard.

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Please post some pictures of your Greenbrier, including the engine compartment, body and interior, and describe its current condition and driveability, as well as any particular problems areas you might be aware of. Hopefully some ideas, suggestions, etc. can start to come your way.

Again, welcome! :welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
NipponFC

Post by NipponFC »

Wow! Thanks for all the great info! Heres some pics. I played with the carbs all afternoon and now she's running great, burning some oil but ill worry about that later. If my inspection goes smoothly I'll have plates on it by the end of the week. Fingers crossed :pray:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Wow that's a good looking Greenbrier! Welcome to the site and I'm glad you got her running better. :tu: (I fixed your pictures for you)
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: That is one clean-looking 1964 Greenbrier! :tu:

Just a few observations from your picture of the engine compartment...
1964 Greenbrier Engine from Japan.jpg
:chevy: This is supposed to be a 1964 engine, but the cooling fan is a steel unit from a late 1961-1963 model year. In 1964 Chevrolet changed the heavy steel blower fan to a lightweight magnesium casting, and added a couple of belt guides at the fan and idler pulleys. The older design with a heavier steel fan had an effect like a flywheel. The fan rotation would resist changes in engine RPM, and the stress was transferred to the fan belt. This extra stress on the belt could cause the belt to flip or break. The magnesium blower and guides added in 1964 and later Corvairs helped belts to last much longer. It is still a good idea to keep a spare in the trunk, though. (If you are interested, a used magnesium blower fan can be fitted in place of the heavy steel blower that is on your engine).

:chevy: The mechanical fuel filter has been removed, with an electric fuel pump feeding the two carburetors via a plastic fuel filter and rubber fuel lines, until it reaches a metal tee fitting and steel fuel lines to the carburetors. The safe way to install an electric fuel pump is normally near the fuel tank, in a protected location. This pressurizes the entire fuel line from the pump to the engine compartment. Caution must be exercised to ensure that the rubber fuel lines are maintained in good condition to protect against a fuel leak and potential fire hazard. (The hazard with a standard mechanical pump is somewhat lower, since the line from the tank to the mechanical pump is a suction line and is not pressurized). Also recommended is a safety switch that typically detects engine oil pressure. The switch (and pump) is usually energized when the starter solenoid is engaged, and then power continues to the pump as long as engine oil pressure is detected. As a safety measure the electric fuel pump is automatically cut off if the engine shuts down for any reason, eliminating engine oil pressure and cutting power to the fuel pump. A sample is pictured below...

:link: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-7872-Sa ... B00068OQ3S
Mr. Gasket Fuel Pump Safety Switches are designed to ensure that the electric pump does not work unless the engine has oil pressure. They are crafted from high quality material for extreme durability. These pump safety switches prevents the pump from running in a situation where the motor may stall with the ignition on. They are installed with the pressure sending unit using a T fitting into the block.

Another variation is offered by Clark's Corvair Parts...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=66

:chevy: Your 1964 Greenbrier has been modified to eliminate the original generator/voltage regulator and replace it with an alternator and alternator voltage regulator, which was normally not found in Corvairs until 1965 and later.

:chevy: The spark plug wires are missing several sealing boots around the spark plug holes in the upper shroud. You may want to consider replacing them with a new wire set that properly seals these upper shroud openings. Without them too much cooling air leaks back into the engine compartment, and this reduces cooling efficiency for your Corvair engine.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=75B

:chevy: If your engine is truly a 1964 engine, it should normally have a harmonic balancer serving as your crankshaft pulley. This was added by Chevrolet when the crankshaft stroke was increased in 1964 to increase the engine displacement from 145 cubic inches to 164 cubic inches. The picture does not show the crankshaft pulley, so i cannot see which pulley is installed on your engine. Only the 95hp engine had a cast pulley in 1964 and later. All others had a true harmonic balancer.

:chevy: The air cleaner assembly looks like it was originally configured to include an optional oil bath auxiliary air cleaner, in addition to the standard paper air filters attached to each carburetor. It looks like all is left of that option is the center tubular intake between the two air filter canisters. The missing oil bath unit is not a problem, as long as the paper filters are present. The oil bath pre-filter was an option offered for use in a dusty environment.

If you want to confirm the actual engine in your Greenbrier, you can check the engine serial number (near the alternator and oil pressure warning switch, between the top shroud and the oil filter adaptor). The last two letters will give some clue. The cylinder head casting numbers at the end of the head, next to the valve cover, also provides a clue. if you provide those numbers, I can decode them for you.

Brad Bodie
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Wow, cool......what part of Japan do you live in? You sure found a super-clean example of an FC! It looks really mint! So you worked on an '86 Levin?! Nice! That would be the AE86. I have an old GT2000 Corona I brought back from Okinawa back in the 80's. Spent a few years over there......let us know if you've got any questions about your 'vair!
NipponFC

Post by NipponFC »

thanks for all the awesome info! and thanks for the compliments, its really not near as clean as it looks in the photos. the paint looks great on camera but was obviously cheaply done. lots of orange peel and the door jams are covered in over spray and old dried up masking tape.
the fuel pump issue was the first thing i noticed as it ticks when you turn the key on and the pump is wired to a toggle switch thats dangling on a zip tie under the dash. i plan on returning it to the stock fuel delivery system. i also have already put a new set of plug cables in my shopping cart at clarks. i'll try and post up more pics tomorrow of the the pulley/balancer and serial numbers.
flat6_musik wrote:Wow, cool......what part of Japan do you live in? You sure found a super-clean example of an FC! It looks really mint! So you worked on an '86 Levin?! Nice! That would be the AE86. I have an old GT2000 Corona I brought back from Okinawa back in the 80's. Spent a few years over there......let us know if you've got any questions about your 'vair!
im in the kansai area now but was born in okinawa. my parents worked for dodds on kadena in the 80s. yup yup! AE86, im a big fan, really wish i never sold mine. would love to get another one someday. coronas are sweet too! almost never see them nowadays.
NipponFC

Post by NipponFC »

so i got 1 day temporary tags and made the hour and a half drive to the inspection center to try and get my real tags. there were a few issues; brakes were week, no yellow turn signals in the rear, tail lights too dim, no reverse lights, no window washer, wiper blades dried and cracked, no seat belts,... to name a few. the guy working there was willing to let most of it slide because the car is so old as long as i put some new wiper blades on it and put some reflectors on the back bumper and come back before they close. i rushed to the nearest parts store made the changes and was trying to make it back before they closed when "SNAP!" fan stopped, dash light came on, yup... belt broke :doh: pulled over and turned it off right away. walked in the cold rain without an umbrella to a parts store to see if there was a similar belt that could get me home, no luck. walked to a car rental place, and of course, no wreckers available to rent. had to have it towed and i couldnt ride along with it because i had my dogs with me :doh: so i also had to rent a car. this adventure costed me about 500 bucks, yeah i know, japan aint cheap. sad thing is had i made it back to the inspection center on time i would have gotten my plates and insurance would have covered the tow and rental fees :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
moral of the story is always pack an umbrella and a spare fan belt.

sorry, i had to vent.

anywho,
the serial number on the block is T0404VB
i cant seem to locate the the number on the head. i think its hiding behind the muffler hanger. i'll check again when its not parked over a mud puddle.
also, it appears to have the 64-69 harmonic balancer (100) U-3077

right now im working on putting together an order at clarks. in the order (amongst other things) is a fuel pump (C3403), fuel pump rod (C259), spring (C1604), o ring (C258AV), and a set of fuel lines (C2330). is there anything else you think i might need to return it to the mechanical pump? is that the correct pump rod?
NipponFC

Post by NipponFC »

:sad5: :sad5: :sad5:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The right head number does hide behind the muffler bracket. On the left side it is on the front end of the head and is somewhat hidden by the heater hose shroud.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:whoa: Sorry to hear of all your troubles with the broken belt, towing, rental car, etc. Hopefully the inspection station will give you another break when you finally do go back for the reinspection.
...the serial number on the block is T0404VB...
T0404VB

T = Tonawanda, New York (GM Tonawanda Engine Plant)
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... wanda.html
0404 = Engine manufacturing date of April 04
VB = indicated a 1964 110 HP, 164 CI Engine with Manual Transmission for R-10 FC

Note: Many Corvair engine suffix codes are found in more than one model year. However, according to my engine code charts, suffix code "VB" is unique to the 1964 model year Forward Control vehicle. That, plus the presence of a harmonic balancer helps to confirm that your engine appears to be the original 164 CI powerplant and is correct for your Greenbrier. The steel 1961-1963 cooling fan made this questionable, but the engine suffix code appears to confirm that the overall engine is a 1964. You should not need to check the cylinder head casting numbers to confirm this, if you are having difficulty seeing them.

When ordering parts, you can generally save shipping costs by consolidating all of your anticipated needs into a single shipment. This is much better than numerous small shipments. So my recommendation would be to order all of your anticipated supplies and emergency spares, such as ignition points, fan belts, oil filters, air filters, etc. A good spares kit and a shop manual, plus hand tools and a flashlight, will help you avoid towing and will often permit a roadside repair.

Since your belt broke, you may want to examine the blower pulley and idler bearings for any signs of damage, roughness during rotation, etc. Also check the alternator rotation. You also might want to consider ordering a used 1964 magnesium blower fan to ease the burden on the fan belt.
ITEM 13
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... age=USED-2
Part number CU70: USED 64 MAG BLOWER FAN - FITS 61-64 HAS 5/16" BOLT HOLES IF 1/4" THEN ITS 65-69
Weight: 4 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): U,2(13)
Price: $ 48.00

If there is a plug in the original mechanical fuel filter opening, you may want to remove it to see if the push rod and spring are still present. Although you may never need it, you may want to consider carrying a spare fuel pump in the trunk, since a failure in this area could put you out of commission for weeks while waiting for a new one to arrive from the USA. Your situation in Japan is unique, and you will have to decide just what kind of spares and maintenance inventory you will want to keep on-hand. Also make sure you have the special bolt and lock nut that secures the pump, and all of the needed brass fuel line fittings and other components between the pump and each carburetor. Also, don't forget the steel fuel inlet line that carries fuel from the front sheet metal grommet to the fuel pump.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=65

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=67

You may also want to consider replacing the clutch cable, since these can break without warning and a broken clutch cable is also a "show stopper". The old cable, if it is not damaged or frayed, can be retained as an emergency spare.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=112
Part number C793R: REPRO 61-65 VAN CLUTCH CABLE

Weight: 4 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 112,113(13)
Price: $ 109.00
Brad Bodie
Nashville Chris

Post by Nashville Chris »

Apologies for raising this thread from the depths...

Are you still cruising your Greenbrier around the Kansai area? I visit Japan every year, staying with friends in Tokyo. I've seen a few Corvairs in Japan, but only in magazines or on the internet. A black '64 Spyder convertible, a red '63 Monza convertible, and a red/white Greenbrier. I hit as many car events as I can on my trips, but I also have to spend time looking for specific cars and parts for work, and going on dates (my friends are always setting me up).

Maybe we can meet up on one of my future trips. I've had four FCs: '61 Rampside, '62 Corvan, '63 Corvan 8-door, and '64 Greenbrier. Along with a dozen or so other Corvairs.
1963 700 sedan, 84/PG, 3rd owner
ccpinc

Post by ccpinc »

OPY 637 I used to own that Greenbrier back in the early 1990's. I purchased it from the original owner in Yorba Linda, CA (Orange County). His name was Blair. It had been sitting unused at his old lemon grove farmhouse since the late 1970's. I bugged him for nearly 10 years to buy it. Only became available to me after he died. The clutch disc was siezed against the flywheel from sitting so long. I had it repainted the same color and he included the rear seats which had been stored in his attic for decades. I took it to the Great Western Fan Belt Toss in 1994. The guy who bought it for me ran some sort of carpet cleaning business or something and I feared he would beat it up. So glad to see it's alive and well and in Japan of all places!

Return to “Introductions”