Wheels & Tires

Anything Corvair related
Ayr Hed

Re: Wheels & Tires

Post by Ayr Hed »

time will tell..just wanted to pass on info..
'64 Monza coupe 110/4 spd
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

If you are thinking of selling the 13" wires and adapters, how much would you want for them?
I'd think they would look good on my 64 Spyder Convertible.
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
snowmaker

Post by snowmaker »

Thanks all for the information I don't think that I will be parting with the wire wheels any time soon. I do like the way they look on the car so at this point if I do go to a bigger size I am going to keep these so I can go back to as close to original as I can get.
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

DemonPig wrote:Keep in mind that you can't compare treadwear between manufacturers.
420 from a Chinese company is not 420 from Michelin.

Asian tires usually copy tread patterns off top tire manufacturers but they use inferior rubber compounds and less technology.

With that said, they are usually sufficient if you don't drive much and don't push it.

I've used Chinese winter tires for one season and they weren't bad, just wore fast.
Brand new Chinese tire is usually decent. You start noticing a significant difference when you have less tread left.

You might want to read up on Maxxis, just because they are from china does not make them a low quality tire. They are probably one of the better companys in the world.
DemonPig

Post by DemonPig »

They are decent, which is more than I would say about any Chinese tires 10 years ago. I am familiar with them. I earn my living in tire business.
Definitely one of the best in Asia but what Michelin spends on one research facility is more than Maxxis' entire budget for the whole year. And it shows. Chinese don't do much R&D, they copy stuff.
Giants like Pirelli or Continental are also way ahead. Bridgestone has some questionable tires and some very good ones. Goodyear only survives because of O.E. fitments. They do have a couple of decent products though.
1965 Corvair Monza coupe
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

I purchased a set of the Maxis tires last summer. I have 500 miles on them and they seem to be just fine. If you want white walls, its the way to go. Several other 13" tires available with black walls only. I love the white wall/wire wheel/spinners on the early models.

In listening to others on handling improvements with larger tire sizes. I just bit the bullet and purchased a set of vintage US Mag slot wheels I found. They are 15", 4 lug - 4 1/2". Some what period correct for the car. Here's a picture of one that I found. I'm going to polish the rims and put on a set of BF Goodrich 195/60 R15's. Looking forward to having another look/style with the car for about a $1000. Let you know how it handles this summer.
Attachments
Vintage Mags.jpg
Corvair Slot 2.jpg
Corvair Slot 2.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
Jeff Sandor
Prez Cincinnati Corvair Club
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

rv6aaviator wrote:I purchased a set of the Maxis tires last summer. I have 500 miles on them and they seem to be just fine. If you want white walls, its the way to go. Several other 13" tires available with black walls only. I love the white wall/wire wheel/spinners on the early models.

In listening to others on handling improvements with larger tire sizes. I just bit the bullet and purchased a set of vintage US Mag slot wheels I found. They are 15", 4 lug - 4 1/2". Some what period correct for the car. Here's a picture of one that I found. I'm going to polish the rims and put on a set of BF Goodrich 195/60 R15's. Looking forward to having another look/style with the car for about a $1000. Let you know how it handles this summer.
what are the odds lol. just bought these ansen sprints 15x7 ET0 upgrade from the 14x6 that are already on the car. have no idea if there gonna actually fit ::-): ::-):

rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Awesome Freedo! Your car is one that I really liked with the rims. Why the new ones?
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

My dad has a set of 13" US Mags Slots on his '64 Convert. They look totally period correct. I like them on the EMs, they just look right. :tu:

1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

IMG_1841.JPG
I just got these tires installed. They are B.F. Goodrich tires from Coker, P185/80R.13 radials.
Sorry about the dust, but I live out in the country on a gravel road, hence the gravel guards on the headlights.
Attachments
IMG_1843.JPG
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Here is my 61 Monza with the 15x7 "smoothies" from Jegs (Wheel Ventiques). As you can see I hadn't driven it yet because the rear wheels are tilted in. Brilliant me lost the keys (both sets) and had to get new ones made from the door lock. Sorry it took so long to post them DerekKim
SANY0001.JPG
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
DerekKim

Post by DerekKim »

I really like these wheels bigtwin! Are the polished lips a part of the rim of are they ring put in? Also are the baby moons from jegs also?
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

They were chrome around the edges and bare metal in the middle. I painted them the same red as the interior. I ordered the baby moons from Jegs as well but they were part of the price which was a little over $400.00 total. Make sure you get the right moons for the wheels because there are lots of different types. Jegs can help you with that. I used 4 poster boards cut in half, slid down into the weld groove between the chrome and the bare metal, then taped to that right size circle to shield the chrome from the spraying and it worked well. If you do this be sure you mask off the center and lug holes from the back side. I did the front to completion then did the back.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Nice pictures of all the EM rides with showing different rims and tires! They all look great. :tu:
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Just picked up a set of NOS 13" wire wheels. Never been on the road. I always liked the 3 prong spinners better than the 2 spinners which are now on the car. Going to order a set of Clarks 3 prongs for them. Also was able to pick up a NOS set of bezels.
Attachments
new hub caps.jpg
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

rv6aaviator wrote:Awesome Freedo! Your car is one that I really liked with the rims. Why the new ones?
new year, gotta change it up a little lol. i like the look to but they were too small and looked funny from the back with the skinny tires

Return to “Corvair Talk”