302 in Grease pencil behind plate

All Models and Years
Grandma's 63

302 in Grease pencil behind plate

Post by Grandma's 63 »

I own the 63 that my Grandma bought new and has always been inside and well taken care of and has been off the road since the late seventies. I went to put my new Historical License plate on and behind the old plate is a 302 written in yellow with a crayon or grease pencil. Does anybody have an idea what this was for? Maybe from the factory like a daily number or sometning. I see no reason Grandma would have done this.
Attachments
302.jpg
Scott V

Re: 302 in Grease pencil behind plate

Post by Scott V »

dealer inventory number?

-Scott V.
Grandma's 63

Post by Grandma's 63 »

Scott V wrote:dealer inventory number?

-Scott V.
Another one of my guesses.
ccpinc

Post by ccpinc »

Production line marking from the Fisher Body plant. 90% of the car was built there then shipped over to the Chevrolet line for drivetrain, front suspension, steering assembly and VIN tag installation.
I see those numbers in that location and elsewhere on the car bodies such as behind the rear seat quite often.

Jeff Williams
California Corvairs, Inc.
Grandma's 63

Post by Grandma's 63 »

ccpinc wrote:Production line marking from the Fisher Body plant. 90% of the car was built there then shipped over to the Chevrolet line for drivetrain, front suspension, steering assembly and VIN tag installation.
I see those numbers in that location and elsewhere on the car bodies such as behind the rear seat quite often.

Jeff Williams
California Corvairs, Inc.

Thanks Jeff.
devairguy

Post by devairguy »

I have similar markings behind the plate on my 63, I believe its original paint on the car. and pretty sure the Nickey Chevrolet decal is also original according to the historian

Todd Klawitter De Forest WI
63' Monza Coupe
65' Corsa Turbo Coupe

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”