U-Joint / Half Shaft Restoration Part 2: Corsa GT Project

Need to know how? Want to show how?
65Ragtop

U-Joint / Half Shaft Restoration Part 2: Corsa GT Project

Post by 65Ragtop »

This is Part Two. If you missed Part One here it is: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2148

Now that the parts are clean, the fun part can get started. I am using Heavy Duty U-Joints with grease fittings. Grease fitting placement is important for 2 reasons. One, with these style U-Joints, the fitting is in a boss off to one side. You need to be able to get to the fitting when the shaft goes back into the car. Place the fitting to the inside or shaft side so that it will be accessible. Second, the grease fitting should be placed between the drive trunnion and the driven trunnion on each end of the half shaft according to tradition. The story goes that if placed properly, the drive forces will "compress" the grease fitting hole and this is a stronger position. If placed incorrectly, the drive forces pull the hole in opposing directions and create stress that could eventually cause a crack in the area. I will be sticking with tradition. Once again, my 7 year old son is assisting me and photographing our progress. ::-):
Attachments
Here is where we left off in Part 1.  Sort of, anyway.
Here is where we left off in Part 1. Sort of, anyway.
Nice clean, painted shaft to work with.
Nice clean, painted shaft to work with.
I like to prep the bare metal surface with a good silicone lube in order to get ready for the pressing operation.  Remove a cap from a new U-Joint and press it about 1/4 of the way in to set it square.  Place grease fitting accordingly (see further down in this post for a visual on how to do this).  Note black dot on shaft.
I like to prep the bare metal surface with a good silicone lube in order to get ready for the pressing operation. Remove a cap from a new U-Joint and press it about 1/4 of the way in to set it square. Place grease fitting accordingly (see further down in this post for a visual on how to do this). Note black dot on shaft.
Remove the opposite cap and insert the U-joint into the set cap.  Do this very carefully as you do not want to upset any of the roller bearings and get them to fall into the end of the cap.
Remove the opposite cap and insert the U-joint into the set cap. Do this very carefully as you do not want to upset any of the roller bearings and get them to fall into the end of the cap.
Set and press in the top cap slowly, making sure everything is lining up.  If you mess up here and disturb some rollers, you will have to take it apart again to reset the rollers.  Take your time and you will only have to do it once.
Set and press in the top cap slowly, making sure everything is lining up. If you mess up here and disturb some rollers, you will have to take it apart again to reset the rollers. Take your time and you will only have to do it once.
Press in far enough to be able to insert your new clip.  Flip the shaft and press in the other side to seat the U-joint against the clip.  Install the other new clip.  Repeat on other end of shaft.
Press in far enough to be able to insert your new clip. Flip the shaft and press in the other side to seat the U-joint against the clip. Install the other new clip. Repeat on other end of shaft.
Tape up the loose ends of the new U-Joint to keep them in place while you work.  If one gets knocked loose and the rollers scatter, it would be a nightmare trying to find them all.  Good insurance.
Tape up the loose ends of the new U-Joint to keep them in place while you work. If one gets knocked loose and the rollers scatter, it would be a nightmare trying to find them all. Good insurance.
Once the U-Joints are in, it is a good idea to set them into there perspective sockets.  Take the shaft and insert into a yoke either on the car or a spare.  GENTLY give it a rap to set the cap against the clip.  Don't overdo it.  Just a tap is fine.  If a U-joint was binding a little, this will most likely loosen it up a touch.
Once the U-Joints are in, it is a good idea to set them into there perspective sockets. Take the shaft and insert into a yoke either on the car or a spare. GENTLY give it a rap to set the cap against the clip. Don't overdo it. Just a tap is fine. If a U-joint was binding a little, this will most likely loosen it up a touch.
I don't like sharp edges on high stress parts.  I took a drill bit and did a very slight bevel on the grease fitting holes.  This is just insurance against any opportunistic cracking that might like a sharp edge to form on.  Might be overkill, but hey.......
I don't like sharp edges on high stress parts. I took a drill bit and did a very slight bevel on the grease fitting holes. This is just insurance against any opportunistic cracking that might like a sharp edge to form on. Might be overkill, but hey.......
Visual on DT and PT shafts with appropriate grease fitting locations.  Note mark to ease installation.  Set the shafts up in a mock up position before you start. Visualize forward rotation and place the grease fittings between the drive trunnion and the driven trunnion.  Place your mark so you don't have to think to much about it while you are doing the actual press work.
Visual on DT and PT shafts with appropriate grease fitting locations. Note mark to ease installation. Set the shafts up in a mock up position before you start. Visualize forward rotation and place the grease fittings between the drive trunnion and the driven trunnion. Place your mark so you don't have to think to much about it while you are doing the actual press work.
Same concept with the wheel end of the shaft.
Same concept with the wheel end of the shaft.
Again.
Again.
Done.  I will grease them when I put them back on the car.  If you want to grease the U-joints before you re install, you can put the loose ends of the joint loosely in a vise or a large C-clamp and grease it then so the ends won't pop off.
Done. I will grease them when I put them back on the car. If you want to grease the U-joints before you re install, you can put the loose ends of the joint loosely in a vise or a large C-clamp and grease it then so the ends won't pop off.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
bjbuchanan

Re: U-Joint / Half Shaft Restoration Part 2: Corsa GT Project

Post by bjbuchanan »

awesome write up
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Great job! Many will appreciate the time you took to present this clearly. Great timing too as I'm getting ready to re-install the half-shafts back into the V8 tonight. Now I'm reminded to see if the past owner had the Zerks installed the correct way.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

I am one of those who enjoyed the write up. That is great how to stuff that I am sure would of did wrong. Those axles are a lot healthier than on my EM.
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

Corvair.crazy wrote:I am one of those who enjoyed the write up. That is great how to stuff that I am sure would of did wrong. Those axles are a lot healthier than on my EM.
early axles are solid & late 1/2 shafts are hollow. ive seen a late shafts cut in 1/2 by a hanging heater hose wire. that wouldnt happen w/ a early axle.

-Scott V.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:thumbsupwink: :wrench: :typing: :ty:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
County98

Post by County98 »

Appreciate this, thank you! And great job!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”